(Close Window)
Topic: ESPoe & SPIRTS of the DEAD
Kindred Spirits and Spookies,

It is with more puzzled delight than pomp or ceremony that I introduce my strange preoccupation of the last year, two Poe-themed decks of cards with the mystery entertainer in mind.

I am thrilled (and just a bit bewildered) to be a part of Lebanon Circle's new collective. It is a great honor.

If you have any questions about these offerings, please do not hesitate to ask.

It is my sincere hope that these cards will give back a little something to the community that has inspired me so.

Yours in Mystery,
E.R. Perkins

'ESPoe'

ESPoe is a bizarre remix of the Zener/Rhine extrasensory perception cards with the mystery performer in mind. The symbols have been transmuted into classic, high-contrast representations of the major motifs in Poe's work. With these cards, any of your favorite ESP effects and routines can be reborn as gothic fables of mystery and imagination. ESPoe is a utility deck and a dark storytelling tool, tipped in your favor.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0AqB5v9l.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/saWGj7il.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nvdoA5xl.jpg[/IMG]

'Edgar Allan Poe's SPIRITS of the DEAD seance cards'

A deck of seance cards with a dark secret.

Lift the veil and contact the dead with this elegantly designed deck of seance cards, uniquely rooted in the literary themes of Edgar Allan Poe. More than mere alphabet and number cards, SPIRITS of the DEAD will allow you to make contact through the imagery, themes and the very words of Poe’s works. Perhaps you will contact the author himself.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/X14C48xl.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OVCRjE1l.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6caIkgxl.jpg[/IMG]
Great work.
As a play tester of the ESPoe cards, I have really enjoyed working with them. There are so many possibilities, from straight card magic, to mentalism, to full blown story telling magic. I am proud to have developed a routine exploring the tragedies in Poe's life, a story told with choices made by a volunteer with a quite visual ending, called "The Curse of the Red Death". I have been told that there are other great routines contained in the instructions for these wonderful cards too and am looking forward to checking them out.

This is another essential addition to the wonderful range of effects and props honouring Poe.
Thank you, Willie and Brynmore!

Brynmore's "The Curse of the Red Death" is indeed included in the manual. It is a marvelous exploration of Poe's history and the influence of tragedy on his life and work. It is elegant in telling and 'dreadful' in reveal. The concept of ESPoe is very open source. Brynmore beautifully makes these cards his own in the illustration of his effect. It provided me with one of the first real pieces of proof that this deck could become the utility tool I had hoped it would.

I am profoundly grateful to my play-testing group (whom I will not OUT without their say so) for sharing their inspirations and condemnations. They challenged me to make these cards the best they could be.
Congratulations Perkins!
These seem very cool.
It's definitely an honor to be a part of Lebanon circle's roster.

I'm really looking forward to checking them out!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Gould (Oct 14, 2014 08:27PM)
These look really great Mr Perkins.
Quality work and some great ideas here. A fantastically powerful first release.
Really proud for you sir!
I'll be using some Perkins Poe items for my Spirits of Vengeance performance on Halloweeeeeeen

They are so beautiful!
I love it when simplicity is at the heart of creation. Black, white. Just straight to the point.
Just ordered these! I am a sucker for all things Poe, and these shall be put to good use. I love the idea of using them in place of the standard ESP cards. Can't wait to see them in person!
I'm thrilled to see these finally hit the shelves! I know Perkins has been working furiously and feverishly on these for months and the high quality of the final product reflects his efforts.

The ESPoe cards are a true utility prop with uses only limited by our imaginations. I think the three routines included (which include a humble offering by me alongside Perkins' and Brynmore's inspired creations) illustrate the breadth of effects that can be achieved.

Oh, and a quick note to Doppelgänger owners - my routine was designed to lead quite naturally into a single-book Poe effect. Just saying...
[quote]On Oct 15, 2014, MatCult wrote:

Oh, and a quick note to Doppelgänger owners - my routine was designed to lead quite naturally into a single-book Poe effect. Just saying... [/quote]

Sweet! Cant wait to read all about it!
Mathew is far too humble, his routine is great. And would make a lovely lead in to any other Poe effect OR in fact an entire night of
Poe-tertainment, but could also stand alone quite happily.
WOW those look awesome.
I am digging today.

I would like to thank everyone for the early encouragement and support that I've received on this strange outing. It's true. Furious and fevered, I have been. This is a side project that has become an obsession. One that, for better or worse, has been validated by the generous support of many people that I greatly admire, not to mention by those who have decided to join the fray and pick up a deck.

It's a feeling of gratitude I don't take lightly.

MatCult's routine, "Phobias" is fascinating look at the fears that inspire some of our greatest authors of horror. It puts the spectator at the heart of the moment and wills them to succeed. It's empowering, articulate and scary. Again, it was reasonable proof to me that this really could be a killer utility.

Some folks have contacted me wanting to see more images of the SPIRITS of the DEAD deck. Those are up at Lebanon Circle now.

The manuals are complete and en route to Dan, the master of ceremonies.

Hit me up if you have any questions or commentary.
"A must have item" my cadavers say. One thinks Poe looks like one of his long dead uncles. But, then again, dead people think they are related to everyone who is dead. Has something to do with the birds of a feather rhyme.
Http://youtube.com/watch?v=LqlzElvN95g

A little Poe for a Friday afternoon (here in Oz at least.)
Marvelous performance piece by Jeffrey Combs in this vid!
Thanks for sharing, Bdynmore14. :applause:
It was too good not to share :)
The Spirits of the Dead deck is awesome. My suggestion is for you to buy two because you won't want to use the first one. These are just too good not to have a second deck. One thing I assure you is my cadavers will not be handling these.
I received my ESPoe cards and Spirits of the Dead deck in the mail - the first offering from Perkins and Parlor Ghost.

These are fantastic! The cards are beautiful and elegant in their design.
The backs feature a line drawing of Poe which perfectly disguises a
cunning marking system.

SOTD also employs a devious bonus mark that you will greatly appreciate in any dimly lit setting.

ESPoe have a Lavender colored back, while the Spirits deck is grey. Both are striking to behold and set side by side
your guests immediately know they're in for a special evening.

I'll admit I've not done a wine glass seance before.
It just didn't seem like my cup of tea, and I didn't feel confident in my ability to deliver a memorable evening based around it.

A read through Paul Voodini's book piqued my interest, but I still felt I was leaving too much up to chance and the imagination of the specs.
(Paul's book is excellent BTW)

Parlor Ghost's deck is the swiss army knife of Seance cards. Perkins has thought of everything.
The marking system is simple and gives you the ability to delve into a more controlled evening should you desire.
(FYI - not all cards are marked - just a few are)

Purists will love the basic 26 alphabet cards and 0-9 number cards, but it's the extras that really set
this deck apart. 4 options for yes and no, 3 masks of Poe cards, a pendulum card, quote cards with passages from the book,
and my favorite, two spirit frame cards.
Carve a message on one for use in your switch box and you have an excellent extra kicker.

The possibilities for this deck are incredible, especially when combined with a Poe themed evening.
I'm looking forward to using these with Prof BC's Dopp version of Poe's best tales.

Suddenly the wine glass seance seems like it's right up my alley!

As much as I'm impressed with the SOTD, it's the ESPoe cards that will really get a work out from me.
These are awesome. A fresh take on the Zener cards, also with a simple and devious marking system.

Testing audience members for ESP is a perfect warm up to an evening of paranormal entertainment (another tidbit from Paul's book)
And these cards are just a hell of a lot more fun then a Zener deck. Again Perkins has thought of everything with the bonus cards.
There is so much you can do with these. The manual also offers up three stellar routines by Perkins, Matcult and Brynmore that I can't wait to try.
I'll be surfing over to Ebay in search of coffin nails now... - very cool idea)

A read through the manual and it's clear that Perkins loves the spooky arts and he designed the props that he had been wishing for.
Kudos to he and Dan for making them available to everyone.

These are a must have.
Horus1, glad you like the deck and the routines. Please let us know how you go using these wonderful props and routines.

If you have any questions on my routine, or indeed suggestions for improvements on it, let me know.
[i]"It was about dusk, one evening during the supreme madness of the carnival season, that I encountered my friend." - The Cask of Amontillado[/i]

Tis the season, my spooky friends. My heart is merry and macabre and I feel like shipping out a couple of treats.

In anticipation of the release date, I'd like to give away one deck each of "ESPoe" and "SPIRITS of the DEAD".

No need to ring the doorbell and I won't leave a bowl on the porch -- cuz everybody knows the second kid that shows up will just dump everything into his pillow case. No.

All you have to do to have your name put into the hat is to reply to this thread with your favorite line or passage from Edgar Allan Poe's work. (Please note that just typing 'Nevermore' will cause your name to be unceremoniously shuffled into a quaint and curious volume of *forgotten* lore.)

Do this by 2pm PST Monday the 27th. I will write down the names and choose two from a hat. A real hat. I'll publish those names here and then I'll go to the post office.

Happy Halloween!

Perks
Someone is going to be a happy camper...
"I was never kinder to the old man than during the whole week...before I killed him." The Tell-Tale Heart

"They are neither man nor woman, they are neither brute nor human, they are ghouls, and their king it is who tolls, and he rolls, rolls, rolls, rolls." The Bells

There are so many...

Chad
"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all".
"And then there stole into my fancy, like a rich musical note, the thought of what sweet rest there must be in the grave ". The Pit and the Pendulum

I was going for the "I was never kinder..." but, Chad beat me to it !

Also, Thanks for your kind offer extended to Spooky, Perkins ! :-)
I pm'd you my entry, Perkins. Thanks for the opportunity! :thumbsup:
Four chambers in the heart. Four names in the hat. So far...

My pleasure, gents.
Hear the sledges with the bells-
Silver bells!
What a world of merriment their melody foretells!
How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle,
In the icy air of night!
While the stars that oversprinkle
All the heavens, seem to twinkle
With a crystalline delight;
The Bells
"The silence was unbroken and the darkness gave no token and the only word there spoken was the whispered word 'Lenore'." -The Raven. I never realized how long or messed up that poem was until I tried to memorize it.
"I know not how it was—but, with the first glimpse of the building, a sense of insufferable gloom pervaded my spirit."
[i]-The Fall of the House of Usher[/i]
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!"
"I made no doubt that I could readily displace the bricks at this point, insert the corpse, and wall the whole up as before, so that no eye could detect any thing suspicious. And in this calculation I was not deceived." - The Black Cat

Mixing the mortar now. Less than five hours remain.
"I ordered both of these, and I long to set my grubby hands upon them when they finally materialize..."

ok, maybe that's not a Poe quote. :bg:
I already have my cards, but can't resist chiming in with a quote!

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night"
- Eleonora
Five minutes to add yer name...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sfmJFlYl.jpg[/IMG]
From the hat...

DocBenWiz and Reese

Thanks to all for playing along. I've been spending so much time with Poe lately, it's good to know that there are others who share my distraction.

Happy Halloween, Spookies!

PM's coming up.
Congrats to the winners!
Con-Grats to the Winners !

"The rains came down on the crimson ground, by the hand of fate"
Def Leppard

I've always loved that line !
It was the hand of fate!
I've not seen anyone but Perkins with such macabre generosity, except me of course. I once had a buy one funeral and take another with you when you go. You'd be surprised how many people don't want to be the other person. I mean, like it's free! Anyway, congratulation to the winners whose destiny turned face up.
[quote]On Oct 25, 2014, horus1 wrote:
I received my ESPoe cards and Spirits of the Dead deck in the mail - the first offering from Perkins and Parlor Ghost.

These are fantastic! The cards are beautiful and elegant in their design.
The backs feature a line drawing of Poe which perfectly disguises a
cunning marking system.

SOTD also employs a devious bonus mark that you will greatly appreciate in any dimly lit setting.

ESPoe have a Lavender colored back, while the Spirits deck is grey. Both are striking to behold and set side by side
your guests immediately know they're in for a special evening.

I'll admit I've not done a wine glass seance before.
It just didn't seem like my cup of tea, and I didn't feel confident in my ability to deliver a memorable evening based around it.

A read through Paul Voodini's book piqued my interest, but I still felt I was leaving too much up to chance and the imagination of the specs.
(Paul's book is excellent BTW)

Parlor Ghost's deck is the swiss army knife of Seance cards. Perkins has thought of everything.
The marking system is simple and gives you the ability to delve into a more controlled evening should you desire.
(FYI - not all cards are marked - just a few are)

Purists will love the basic 26 alphabet cards and 0-9 number cards, but it's the extras that really set
this deck apart. 4 options for yes and no, 3 masks of Poe cards, a pendulum card, quote cards with passages from the book,
and my favorite, two spirit frame cards.
Carve a message on one for use in your switch box and you have an excellent extra kicker.

The possibilities for this deck are incredible, especially when combined with a Poe themed evening.
I'm looking forward to using these with Prof BC's Dopp version of Poe's best tales.

Suddenly the wine glass seance seems like it's right up my alley!

As much as I'm impressed with the SOTD, it's the ESPoe cards that will really get a work out from me.
These are awesome. A fresh take on the Zener cards, also with a simple and devious marking system.

Testing audience members for ESP is a perfect warm up to an evening of paranormal entertainment (another tidbit from Paul's book)
And these cards are just a hell of a lot more fun then a Zener deck. Again Perkins has thought of everything with the bonus cards.
There is so much you can do with these. The manual also offers up three stellar routines by Perkins, Matcult and Brynmore that I can't wait to try.
I'll be surfing over to Ebay in search of coffin nails now... - very cool idea)

A read through the manual and it's clear that Perkins loves the spooky arts and he designed the props that he had been wishing for.
Kudos to he and Dan for making them available to everyone.

These are a must have. [/quote]

What a wonderful, and accurate review. These decks are a wonderful addition.
I am taken aback by Perkin's generosity and love the spirit of fun he created. My deepest gratitude to you! To have a spot of luck on this day in particular is especially nice. Thank you.
[quote]On Oct 27, 2014, Perkins wrote:
From the hat...

DocBenWiz and Reese

Thanks to all for playing along. I've been spending so much time with Poe lately, it's good to know that there are others who share my distraction.

Happy Halloween, Spookies!

PM's coming up. [/quote]
Wow, just checked my pm's and then this post....Much gratitude and thanks so much for your generosity!
I look forward to adding ESPoe deck routines to my other Poe performance pieces. :bigdance: :thanx:
You guys are gonna love ESPoe.
Hand of fate, indeed. I think that's really the only way to properly break in a hat.

Congratulations to DocBen and Reese!

They each chose a deck of ESPoe to assist them in their machinations. (Decided to let the winners choose their decks rather than foisting more Hand of Fate on them). If the Coachman doesn't have any unexpected stops, they should arrive on Halloween!

Yours in Mystery,
Perkins
So you sent them a trick as a Hallowe'en treat? It'll never catch on!

Congrats to the winners. Great quotes from all involved. And great contest from the mighty Perkins.

I couldn't pick a favourite quote. I really like the one from his letters where he states he "became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity".

Oh and "Nevermore" FTW!
Remember when people on the internets used to write "FTW!" all the time?

Aaah, those were the days. It was mostly fields round here, as far as the eye could see...
Thank you Perkins. Well done.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
" I became irritable, with long intervals of horrible munchies "

@MatCult what is "FTW!" ?

Not, trying to derail ... but, this has been a fun thread, Perkins! :-)

~G
You must live in Colorado, Godzilla.
[quote]On Oct 28, 2014, Winks wrote:
You must live in Colorado, Godzilla. [/quote]

LOL

NO
But, I have friends that do ! :-)

I live on 'Monster Island'.
My Poe: Spirits of the Dead cards arrived today, just in time for Halloween, so I might just have to use them on Friday night...

Now I have not seen these in the flesh. The ESPoe cards I play tested, but not the Seance cards, although I did get the skinny on them from Perkins. They are great. I love the colour and the look.
[quote]On Oct 28, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" [/quote]

Great minds and fools!
[quote]On Oct 28, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
" I became irritable, with long intervals of horrible munchies "

@MatCult what is "FTW!" ?

Not, trying to derail ... but, this has been a fun thread, Perkins! :-)

~G [/quote]

Haha! FTW = For the win (I think)
ESPoe and SOTD owners:

It came to my attention, while attending ECSS, that several owners do not have the deck manuals. (?!?!!) A devastating snafu or wicked slap-down from the spam filter demons? I don't know, but let's fix it.

If you have either of these decks, but not it's companion manual, please contact myself or Dan at Lebanon Circle. We'll get it sorted right away.

Perkins

PS I think I will run a limited supply of "stage-sized" ESPoe soon and put them up on the LC site. If this interests you, let me know and I'll make sure to save one for you. I'm really not planning on running much more than are requested. A few extra, but not many.
Good question passed along via PM: What are the measurements of a "stage-sized" card?

The larger deck of ESPoe cards, for higher visibility stage use, would be twice the size of a standard playing card: 3.5" x 5.75" (8.9cm x 14.6cm). I won't print as many SFX cards for this deck either. I'll take requests if you have an fav effect card, but it'll be more about the ESP side of the deck.

Many thanks!

Perkins
No brainer.... Thanks for doing this, again above and beyond...
Folks, having used these several times over the last few days I (I had a hiccup with my package and am getting the full set mailed out again but Perkins loaned me a deck to use while I wait on the second making attempt from across the pond) and the Espoe cards are strong, very strong. If you don't have these and you love either Poe, ESP effects, or both- I would encourage you to pick these up from Lebanon.

The manual as mentioned has some great effects and I have heard of possible updates in the future with more contributions. I can't wait to get the extra props as well from Lebanon as well.

Highly recommended.

Chad
[quote]On Jan 20, 2015, Perkins wrote:
Good question passed along via PM: What are the measurements of a "stage-sized" card?

The larger deck of ESPoe cards, for higher visibility stage use, would be twice the size of a standard playing card: 3.5" x 5.75" (8.9cm x 14.6cm). I won't print as many SFX cards for this deck either. I'll take requests if you have an fav effect card, but it'll be more about the ESP side of the deck.

Many thanks!

Perkins [/quote]

YES please, I would love to have the larger set also and would definitely buy that. Or better yet, how about an expensive ELITE version. Larger cards, lightly aged, and real blood spatter. Just a thought.
Having obsessed over these cards for the last few weeks, I am very excited to get the stage size cards, and I would gobble up an ELITE version also. I'll be sending the good Mr. Perkins a routine or two for the updated performance manual in the next day or so as well.

These cards are really fun to work with.

Once again, highly recommended.
I have loved this effect since I first got it! Fantastic and clever.
Perkins, here we are again! Jim Magus showed them to me although he only had the 5 with him. These indeed look great. A wonderful offering great meeting you at ECSS!
Perkins, here we are again! Jim Magus showed them to me although he only had the 5 with him. These indeed look great. A wonderful offering great meeting you at ECSS!
Thanks for the good words, fellas. Most appreciated. And Dark Cabaret, welcome, my friend!

There are some exciting and unexpected things on the horizon for ESPoe, including an updated deck manual with several top notch routines that you have absolutely *got* to try for yourself. Deadly ESPoe routines by celebrated authors and performers. It's 'The Amontillado' for certain. You'll just have to wait a bit longer, Fortunato.

The ESPoe "stage decks" are just in and, if you don't mind me saying so myself, they're beauties. They won't be up on Lebanon Circle for a week or two, but here's a sneak peek. (Original 'poker size' ESPoe for scale.)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/R5remDll.jpg[/img]
Beautiful work my friend
Perkins,

These look great. Great news about the extra routines too.
I had the good fortune of seeing the "stage deck" version in person. They are beautiful. A great size not only for stage, but for "parlor" work as well. In fact, I may even prefer them for close-up in the long run, b/c the larger size makes the images that much more striking.
These do indeed look great! Job well done Mr. Perkins!
Awesome!
They look Tarot size. Or larger?
[quote]On Feb 8, 2015, reese wrote:
They look Tarot size. Or larger? [/quote]

Larger than most tarot, I think. They're 3.5" x 5.75" (8.9cm x 14.6cm).
Just when I think I've bought my last prop...
[quote]On Feb 9, 2015, mcharisse wrote:
Just when I think I've bought my last prop... [/quote]

You only buy your last prop when it's bought from me; a metal, locking box.
A beautiful picture of awesome cards ! Superb, Sir !
[quote]On Feb 9, 2015, weepinwil wrote:
[quote]On Feb 9, 2015, mcharisse wrote:
Just when I think I've bought my last prop... [/quote]

You only buy your last prop when it's bought from me; a metal, locking box. [/quote]

Just in case, do you provide this range of products in king size for big cards only ? :)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/BlKO3qMl.jpg[/img]

'The ESPoe Stage Decks' are almost here. Redesigned and twice the size of the original ESPoe. They're made for maximum impact up on the boards, in the parlour, or in person. They're mighty.

I'm excited to offer them, but not nearly as beside myself as I am to present the update to the manual, ESPoe Addendum Mortuorum.

Thirteen powerful new routines in The House of Poe. The ESPoe Addendum Mortuorum will go out with all new orders and soon be available to all owners and practitioners. For Free. Thirteen startling explorations into the mind and mystery of Edgar Allan Poe from friends within our vaults: An application of dark reading and strange sympathy from M.R. Darkness, a devastating illustration of Poe's influence by Chad C., and... [b]eleven[/b] bizarre marvels called "ESPoe In Synch" by the legendary Jim Magus.

It's so good. I can't wait to share it with you.

Best,
Perkins
I'm not sure which is more huge - the new cards or the announcement about the expanded performance manual.
Me either Matt, but I can hardly wait to see the new performance manual.
What a great news !!! 13 routines .... in The ESPoe Addendum Mortuorum ...I have the chills and I like that ! :)
Great news Perkins!!
Congratulations - and thanks for keeping us updated!!
Wow, amazing..... cannot wait for the new routines or/and the bigger Cards.
Great Job .....!
I am so proud to have contributed to this project in its early stages and am very excited to see where the new contributions take these wonderful cards.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/38ttRnRl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/YWpsgeIl.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/collections/parlour-ghost-e-r-perkins/products/espoe-stage-deck]ESPoe Stage Deck[/url]

It’s live and limited. 32 decks in stock. Not sure if/when there will be more. It honestly depends on demand. I’ll be honest with you, I have no plans to order more any time soon.

The cards are BIG. But as many have pointed out, the update is BIGGER. There were a few last-minute spirits drawn to the flame. The ESPoe Addendum Mortuorum is a deadly 32 page addition with 15 new routines. It is free to all ESPoe owners. Email Dan at Lebanon Circle to receive your copy.

Without and ounce of hesitation, I can say, it is incredible.

1. The Dark Twin by M.R. Darkness
2. The Poe Effect by Chad C.
3. A Thought for Poe by Yann Le Merlus
4. An Experiment in Synchronicity by Mathew Gostelow
5. ESPoe Mind Reading by Jim Magus
6. Under Your Spell by Jim Magus
7. A Bookish ESPoe by Jim Magus
8. ESPoe in Synch by Jim Magus
9. The Raven Mind Prowler by Jim Magus
10. Out of the World Poe by Jim Magus
11. Masque by Jim Magus
12. ESPoe Living and Dead by Jim Magus
13. ESPoe’s Death of Poe Illustrated by Jim Magus
14. ESPoe’s Tell-Tale Heart by Jim Magus
15. Baltimore Opener by Jim Magus

I am truly astounded by the talent and imagination surrounding these cards. I owe a tremendous debt of thanks to Darkness, Chad C., Yann Le Merlus (Kynean), Mathew Gostelow and Jim Magus. Gentleman I am humbled by your gift to these cards. You join Brynmore and Weepin Will in my thanks for bringing them completely to life in a way I could only dream.

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Yours in Mystery,
Ellis
Having been lucky enough to read the other guys' submissions slightly ahead of release, I can say, hand on (tell-tale) heart, that this collection of effects is a MUST for all owners of the deck. Perkins could be charging £10-20 for this and it would still be a bargain. Jim Magus' contributions alone are worth that price - he has come up with so many atmospheric, creative and engaging applications for these cards.

And yet they're giving it away. Get those emails in now folks - before they come to their senses.
Other than the discount funerals I offer at the Death Emporium and Birthing Center, this is a most generous and excellent offering.
I hope everyone enjoys the routines. My contribution, "The Poe Effect" is one that I have been performing repeatedly between my main shows to both teens and adults, and it has been fun to do and gets a great reaction - hopefully you good folks can get some use out of it as well.

Having been at the ECSS and met both Jim and Perkins, I was able to see firsthand some of the things that Jim had been working on as well as read a few early versions of his routines - and I was floored by them. My favorites in the manual are by far "ESPoe in Synch" and "Out of the World Poe" as far as Jim's routines go. And I have been looking forward to reading the completed version of Baltimore Opener as I predict that this will also go to the top of my favorites list. All the other routines are great as well though - everything I have read has been a treat as I get to see into the mind of different people and see their take on these cards.

There is truly something for everyone here. I'm on my way to a conference in a few moments and the Jumbo Poe Cards are going with me to use at my booth throughout the next few days.

I was able to get an early version of the Jumbo Cards and I can say that not only are they a lovely size, they will also be replacing my original ESPoe cards even in close up situations - and they easily fit in the inside pocket of my suit jacket - so they are still ultra portable as well. Highly, highly recommended. I already have a backup set on the way as well.

Highly recommended - and you get the performance manual as well with all those routines! If you haven't gotten one yet, go order one right now!

Now enjoy a picture or two from our local magic club meeting a month or so ago where I was doing a performance with the Jumbo Poe Cards. I performed my routine from the manual as well as the two routines by Jim mentioned above. They were a hit of the meeting. They are a tad bit blurry as they were taken with another's cell phone, but you get the idea.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fwyq8iOnexw/VN7qbRldNXI/AAAAAAAAB7g/6F7ag4NCze4/s1600/11005755_10205096295620905_267722204_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZQvi9DCEWYI/VN7qbPpey_I/AAAAAAAAB7c/4Q_B7cUQwnI/s1600/10966810_10205096320061516_1059584805_n.jpg[/img]

Once again, a great job by Perkins getting all this together and organizing an awesome addition in both the cards and the manual.
The more I hear about the ECSS, the more I wish I had let the Dead bury the Dead and gone.
Performed this for these two ladies today - here is the reaction during the reveal from "The Poe Effect". Jumbo Poe Cards were used.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GUcKnm3_EmM/VQJAbWuwPkI/AAAAAAAAIXs/JAGoCG3Or18/s1600/IMG_0885.JPG[/img]

I asked the ladies to briefly share their thoughts after the conclusion of the routine - here's their message to our good Perkins:

[youtube]cPYvloVvKRA[/youtube]
What a score! I've been poring over the new routines. Great thinking and soo worth ordering. Highly recommended.
[quote]On Mar 13, 2015, steven-gibson wrote:
What a score! I've been poring over the new routines. Great thinking and soo worth ordering. Highly recommended. [/quote]

I'm looking forward to trying out Mathew's "An Experiment in Synchronicity" next. Love his take on it!
[quote]On Mar 16, 2015, Chad C. wrote:
What a score! I've been poring over the new routines. Great thinking and soo worth ordering. Highly recommended. [/quote]

I'm looking forward to trying out Mathew's "An Experiment in Synchronicity" next. Love his take on it! [/quote]

Thanks for the nod Chad. I think even if people throw out the method and the presentation, the story is completely fascinating on its own.
[quote]On Mar 16, 2015, Chad C. wrote:

I'm looking forward to trying out Mathew's "An Experiment in Synchronicity" next. Love his take on it! [/quote]

It is a great routine, and a fascinating premise.
I have a question to all of you who already received their ESPoe big size deck.
I´ve got mine today and unpacked it immediately.

Is it correct that there are no special cards like there were with the small edition?

What I got were the five cards of each picture (woman, skull, heart, bug raven),a double back card (raven and raven/skull),a bloody heart.
And than there is the exact same set again. So that I have ten of each picture and two double back cards, two bloddy hearts.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Maybe someone can clarify if this is correct or a misprint.

Thanks a lot

Drake
Drake,

There are only two 'special effect' cards in the Stage Sized ESPoe deck (the two you have mentioned: Skull-Raven and Tell-Tale Heart). This is listed in the sales information on the Lebanon Circle site as well.

I wasn't able to include as many special effect cards, as in the regular set, due to the expense of the larger cards. Also, many of those cards would be very difficult to utilize in this over-sized version. That said, I am always willing to work on special card orders and one offs. If you are needing a particular card for your performance, or if you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Perkins
Wait a sec. I just caught your gist. Yessir, sounds like you recieved two decks of ESPoe Stage Size.

Let me figure this out and get back to you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Perkins
You are right. I just read on the LC homepage that there are 25 cards plus two specialcards.
I have here the double amount of cards.
Came in one box. Blistered as one pack.
Late to the party, as usual :(

Just got shipping confirmation from Dan and am now camping out at the foot of the mailbox (once again).

This one may take a while. . .
[quote]On Dec 11, 2015, afinemesh wrote:
Late to the party, as usual :(

Just got shipping confirmation from Dan and am now camping out at the foot of the mailbox (once again).

This one may take a while. . . [/quote]

ESPoe is/are beautiful, versatile and inspiring. I've had a lot of fun with mine.
Looking forward to them, Mat
Beautiful, Beautiful cards. I love that they are clearly Poe flavored, but the faces of the Spirits of The Dead cards have a more versatile victorian design. They are the only Alphabet cards I use right now. Also the m****ing system for both packs are very clever.
I am enjoying my stage size ESPoe cards immensely. Here's a few photos of them in action - they are the opening routine in my show.

[img]https://scontent.fdtw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12339194_10153809750157743_2606139691632285046_o.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gbovSsZ0tNo/VmziP-5MhwI/AAAAAAAAKn0/t3OZLbJJJVA/s1600/ESPoe2.jpg[/img]

And below you shall see two hearts that beat as one as our very own Nobody Jones got married a week ago - and in my Victorian Magic Room nonetheless! Congrats to the newlyweds who are heading off to their honeymoon destination as I type this I'm sure!

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l4k7CyYQa4g/Vmzjb0xRfQI/AAAAAAAAKoA/kjSc_ODFqzw/s1600/ESPoe4.jpg[/img]

ESPoe has my highest recommendation as I have stated in a previous post - I do love using them!

Thanks again Perkins for releasing these to the bizarre community!
I can't wait!!
Thanks for the props and the pics, lads! Does me dark heart good to read this as I stand in line for the Haunted Mansion @ Disneyland!

Glad you got them while you could. Truth be told - stock is dwindling and I have no plans for another run.
[quote]On Dec 13, 2015, Perkins wrote:
Does me dark heart good to read this as I stand in line for the Haunted Mansion @ Disneyland!
[/quote]

I could not be more jealous of you right now! "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding.. Almost as those you sense a disquieting metamorphosis" My favorite host in all of Disneyland ;)
So cool Perkins. I will be doing just that come the first week in January!
!
In the warm afterglow of ECSS II, I find myself with 10 leftover decks of 'unmarked' SPIRITS of the DEAD seance cards. I brought these out special for East Coast Spirit Sessions and would like them to fulfill their dark destiny. I'll offer them up to Spooky at the same price.

Contact me via PM if you want more info.

Bizarre Regards,
Perkins

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Tmbc6ASm.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/FVUAy84m.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MV3trVim.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jZDSo2mm.jpg[/img]
I ordered a deck of these and I believe I'm going to be very glad I did!! :)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MV3trVil.jpg[/img]
[i]"One More Mask" by E.R. Perkins[/i]

I just bumped into a routine that I wrote up that uses those three "Masks of Poe" cards from the SPIRITS of the DEAD deck. It's only been published once before in a private contest, but I thought I might break the seal and share it with whomever was interested. It's a strange little bit of theater.

If you have the SOTD deck, and would like a copy, just email me (my address on pg.3) the last sentence found on the last page of the deck manual. I'll email it to you -- this week only.

Bizarre Regards,
Perkins
I ordered the regular size ESPoe deck along with the Spirits of the Dead cards. I also added the coffin nails...couldn't resist. I suppose a fitting case or box is in order.
[i]“Said I not that my senses were acute? I now tell you that I heard her first feeble movements in the hollow coffin. I heard them — many, many days ago — yet I dared not — I dared not speak!”[/i]

Madeline tells me that it is time, once again, to give away a couple decks of ESPoe from the dwindling stock down in Usher’s vault. Tis the Season, fellow Spookies! A little treat from your old pal Perkins to help you get in the spirit.

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/collections/parlour-ghost-e-r-perkins/products/espoe

To be entered in the drawing for a free deck you need only indicate your undying love for Edgar Allan Poe by quoting his work in this thread. You may, if you rather, share how the Master of the Macabre has shown his influence over one of your routines. If you have no other option, simply scratch on the lid. Maybe someone will hear you.

I’ll gather up the names of all the entrants, in the hat of my choosing, and select two winners on the evening of Wednesday the 19th. A PM will follow with request for mailing address and email. Deck manual and performance addendum emailed immediately. The cards themselves will be mailed out to you on Friday morn, wherever you may be. With a little luck, you should have them by Halloween.

Bizarre Regards,
Perkins
"The spirits of the dead who stood in life before thee are again in death around thee and their will shall overshadow thee - be still."

Not only do I use these frighteningly lovely cards in one of my programs, I love Poe so much that I perform two shows that are all Poe stories and poems, and another show is half Poe along with a few other classic authors of mystery and horror. See pics in previous post to see these in action for real life audiences.

Chad
"The man wore motley. He had on a tight fitting parti-striped dress and his head was surmounted by the conical cap and bells."

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_ZphfNziHlU/Vj69nZAWZMI/AAAAAAAAKlw/WvpTc9yupNc/s1600/poe%2B2%2Bcask1.jpg[/img]
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity". Edgar Allan Poe.

Thank you for the opportunity.

John Greer
It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea...

:) I already have a set--lovely cards-- no need to add my name to the hat.
[quote]On Oct 18, 2016, lin wrote:

:) I already have a set--lovely cards-- no need to add my name to the hat. [/quote]

Same here. No need to put my name in. I'm just here for the fun of it.
I recite Poe's Spirits of the Dead in its entirety as the opener to my show and have for the last 2 years. I have it memorized and I say it while we are in the pitch dark. When I say "The breeze, the breath of God is still, and the mist upon the hill" I wave a fan with long tails on it that makes a nice creepy noise and makes the spectators feel cold. "Shadowy, Shadowy - yet unbroken, is a symbol and a token. How it hangs upon the trees. A mystery of mysteries."

Would love a set to add to my already Poe-esque show!
[quote]On Oct 18, 2016, Chad C. wrote:
[quote]On Oct 18, 2016, lin wrote:

:) I already have a set--lovely cards-- no need to add my name to the hat. [/quote]

Same here. No need to put my name in. I'm just here for the fun of it. [/quote]

Thanks Lin and Chad. Thanks for playing along!
"A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on." (The Cask of Amontillado)

Thanks for the opportunity!

:thumbsup: :cowboy:
[quote]On Oct 18, 2016, DocBenWiz wrote:
"A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on." (The Cask of Amontillado)

:thumbsup: :cowboy: [/quote]

I have never read that line is Cask of Amontillado that I can remember. Are you sure it's not a different story? I'm curious.
[quote]On Oct 18, 2016, Chad C. wrote:
[quote]On Oct 18, 2016, DocBenWiz wrote:

:thumbsup: :cowboy: [/quote]

I have never read that line is Cask of Amontillado that I can remember. Are you sure it's not a different story? I'm curious. [/quote]

“A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on.”

That is supposedly from “The Cask of Amontillado.” (Sometimes, it's simply attributed to "Montresor.") All I can say is, this line is not in the story, or anything Poe or anyone else ever wrote as far as I can tell. This one’s a puzzler.

http://worldofpoe.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-power-of-misusing-words.html
My entry:

"To the swinging and the ringing Of the bells, bells, bells,Of the bells, bells, bells, bells,Bells, bells, bells -- To the rhyming and the chiming of the bells!"

--Chad C

;)
Likely it is from the spirit medium writer who channels Poe to write more stories after his death (it is a true story re the medium)

I'm doing my amontillado presentation out 28 re addiction and vengeance and I' don't recall that line either guess I better go retread it for the 10000th time
As a Frenchman we don't really study Poe at School but Poe had a great influence on the French literature. He influenced one of our most love author like Baudelaire , author of the magnificent Fleur du mal (The flowers of Evil) and Jules Verne author of Voyages extraordinaire (extraordinary Journeys), both author very familiar to any frenchman.
I have only recently introduced Poe in my Magic after I received Poe Brainwave from Gemini Artefact few months ago. Maybe your post is a sign for me to continue my Journey and my exploration of Poe…..

“I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.”
― Edgar Allan Poe
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Eleonora

And many thanks Perkins for this great opportunity.

David
[quote]On Oct 18, 2016, Dr Spektor wrote:
Likely it is from the spirit medium writer who channels Poe to write more stories after his death (it is a true story re the medium)

I'm doing my amontillado presentation out 28 re addiction and vengeance and I' don't recall that line either guess I better go retread it for the 10000th time [/quote]

Since I am moving and had all my Poe books and magic stuff packed up formthe move I ggogled the Amontillado quote as it was one of my faves. If it is not a credible quote, I guess Google search ismto blame! "Nevermore....!"

:fyi: :cowboy:
6 hours remain to have your handle added to the hat. I'll be drawing two names for a complimentary, Halloween treat: a deck of ESPoe.

Scroll back up the thread for yesterday’s details.

Never Bet the Devil Your Head,
Perkins
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Oct 19, 2016 04:42PM)
Very generous of you, Perkins! Thank you for the opportunity!

[i]Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.[/i]
-- Edgar Allan Poe
The cold hand of fate has pulled two names back from the shallow pit of my beloved fedora.

- Jinx13
- topherhester

I will contact you later this evening via PM to arrange delivery of your seasonal treat.

Happy Halloween, fellow Spookies!

The deep dark tarn at my feet closes sullenly and silently.

Perkins
Too cool! Thanks for being so generous! There's a running joke throughout my family that we never win anything. The hands of fate have dictated otherwise! I'm beyond excited!
Wow!! Thank you again Perkins! I had very little hope of winning, so this great news has made my day!

David
[i]"I feel that the period will sooner or later arrive when I must abandon life and reason together, in some struggle with the grim phantasm, FEAR."[/i] - The Fall of the House of Usher

Sooner... or later.
[i]"Very very dreadfully nervous..."[/i]

https://www.geminiartifacts.com/collections/general-bizarre/products/espoe

ESPoe now unearthed at Gemini Artifacts.

True.

Bizarre Regards,
Perkins
I was so glad to see ESPoe in stock at Gemini Artifacts. I ordered a deck and have been experimenting with it any chance I get. Why did I not buy this sooner? The combination of the Poe imagery and the Zener/Rhine deck concept is killer. The manual provided great material to start me down the almost limitless rabbit hole of possible routines.

I am sorry, however, that I missed the boat on the Spirits of the Dead deck. Any chance these will resurface?
Welcome to the House of ESPoe, Scottishpiper! So glad you found us at Gemini Artifacts.

As to the Spirits of the Dead deck? Well, there's always the chance, to be sure, but I have no plans to reprint this deck anytime soon. If a popular tide of sentiment were to rise up lead me to a reissue, I'll make sure to inform you here.

Perkins