The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Monte" meaning? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bilz
View Profile
New user
Cornwall, UK
88 Posts

Profile of bilz
Hi

I was just wondering where the word 'monte' comes from and what it means. I have been learning my first 3 card monte routine and was just wondering if it was a gambling term or maybe it just means routine?

Also - I'm assuming that it is pronounced as in 'Monte Carlo', am I right?

Cheers

Bilz
Learn as if you would live forever...
...live as if you would die tomorrow.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Yes, it is pronounced Mawn-Tee just like the Monte in Monte Carlo.

It is based on a card game in which two cards are chosen from four laid out faceup and a player bets that one of the two will be matched in suit by the dealer before the other one.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
The word 'monte' is reputed to derive from an old Spanish gambling game played with 45 cards. However, I can't find any explanation of why that card game was so called. Supposedly it comes from the word for mountain. Your guess is as good as mine as to why a card game should be named after a mountain.

Huw
bilz
View Profile
New user
Cornwall, UK
88 Posts

Profile of bilz
Thanks guys - at least I know I'm saying it right even if I need a little more practice with the cards Smile

Cheers

Bilz
Learn as if you would live forever...
...live as if you would die tomorrow.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
The mountain term came from the cards being bent "tent-like" during the original scam.

Blessings,
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
The School for Scoundrel Notes on Three Card Monte is excellent, by the way. It has an extensive history of the game as well as clear explanations of various aspects of the scam. I think it is definitely worth the money. And, as I recall, there was no conclusion in that work, either, about where the name came from. I like David Kennedy's explanation, although some people think the game began in France...so the Spanish is a bit baffling. I guess we will have to wait for the Masked Magician to reveal this closely held secret.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Monte" meaning? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL