The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Web for a Halloween show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I am doing a few Halloween shows and was wondering if "The Web" was too silly to use? I would of course put a story behind it... Your opinions please?
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Martin Carli
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
108 Posts

Profile of Martin Carli
IMO, the Web looks cheesy (I mean come on, a plastic spider), and it really looks like a cheap joke at the expense of the spectator. You will never catch me performing this outside of my family. If I did, and got smacked in the face for doing so by the victim, I could only say that I deserved it!!! Some magicians are working very hard to break the spectator's preconceptions about magicians, e.g. if they get on stage or as a "volunteer", they are going to look bad. This item just doesn't help at all...
But then again, that's just me.
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
...so use a real spider! Smile

~p~
"Funk is not something U can buy at the corner store.
It is something that U find deep within Ur Soul!"
.:The One Year Project:. .:Forums:.
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
But don't forget that if you replace the plastic spider by something else (you keep the same technique) you can have a very good effect.

You won't call it "The Web", because I think like Martin that the web is a bad joke. But you can have with this effect a very surprising appearance of a little object.

If you think about what else could be this little object, you may have a gem in your hand !

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Cendre's right!

Maybe you can stick an eyeball (those glassy ones!) onto your hand and encorporate a story into it...leading up to when, "Then the eye saw YOU!" or something...

But then again, the eyeball maybe too heavy...but it ain't a bad idea right?

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
You could very easily do the web for children, using the same cards.. and sticking some candy to the back of their hand, saying wave both hands over your the cards and "the spider will leave you a treat"

I have a whole repetoire of halloween tricks.. the web included... most of them came from a magic set I bought for a dollar from a thrift store called "Mr. Creepy's Magic Set".. It includes all sorts of cool things, like a snapper shaped like a severed finger... the vanishing ghost card trick... monster face coins. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.. its also one of my busiest times of year professionally.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I for one, like the spider.

I put the little extra thing on it, that Jim supplies, and although I dont use the Web effect. I do use the spider at this time of year as my "little Pet" with an IT hookup and he is one active little rascal... Smile

And at first glance, anything unecpected with startle someone, and if you do the Web, and havent put the attachement on the spider, I think you just aren't giving it the full opportunity.

Yes, it is just a plastic spider, but couple it with the extra realism that Jim provides, and the surprise of the appearance on the hand, and it is scary enough. In fact it is so scary that I don't use it as intended.

I like the thinking, but it is too scary for me to use.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Thanks for all your input.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Web for a Halloween show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL