The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » What to use (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I am hoping to start performing a bit of stage magic. I have decided to go into manipulations. I am not sure what to start with.
Billiard balls?
Thimbles?
cards?
Coins?

I feel that the best idea is Billiard balls, but which ones should i get. Would you advise vernet or the traditional. Also is there a great difference in effects you can perform. Obviously there is producing and vanishing but are there som routines with more depth? Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Billiards would be the easiest to start with, thus less discouraging. I used the Goshman Multiplying Sponge Balls when I was learning how to use billiards. They grip very easily because the balls are made of dense sponge and they're cheap. You could use the Vernet Balls, but I had trouble with them because they scratched-up the skin on my fingers. The Fakini balls are what I prefer and still use -- very easy to grip, although you have to be careful with the shell, because the outer coating can peel.
The Empire Multiplying Golfballs are cheap and have a nice-fitting gimmick, but the balls are a little slick to handle.

Find a copy of "Classic Secrets of Magic" by Bruce Elliot, for routine ideas. Other books that are great resources are "Now You See It, Now You Don't" by Bill Tarr and "Mark Wilson Course in Magic".
I hear that the Jeff McBride Manipulation tapes are excellent -- his performances are certainly excellent.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Owen: For visibility, Billiard Balls would be best. I think on a real stage, it is sometimes difficult to see thimbles and coins. It's good to be able to do coins, thimbles so you can adapt to any situation, though. I personnally prefer the Fakini balls like Alan but they are expensive and the shell does chip occassionally. Might be better learning with cheaper set to get the feel and then invest in the better product. If you want depth, the McBride tapes are great. They will give you something to aim for. There also some good routines in Jerry Andrus's book "It's easier than you think"

Have fun and enjoy
Dave

Dave
Where the magic begins
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
thanks for all the help all ready. I am only 14 and its great to get help from some people who are obviously more experienced tahn me. I am going to go in for the junior Stage competition at the magic circle next year so to give me plenty of time im thinking about it now.
What size would you advise?
I think that the vernet balls may be a good idea but apparently they are hard to get out of holders.
what would you advise?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
You won't be able to use a cloth holder for anything but a slippery ball. The wire holders are good for the Fakini balls or the Empire Golfballs. The Vernet balls are best suited to a routine that doesn't use droppers, in my opinion.

As for size, use what fits your hand. I wouldn't use anything smaller than a golfball, for stagework. It's best to go to a magic shop and try several sets, over a padded surface -- there will be some dropping.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
since ur fourteen might ass well start 2 mess up ur hands somewhere, so why not get the mcbride tapes and have fun =) i started with card manipulations when i was 7 and 1/2 it messed up my hands, but now i can do 26 card productions with no special prep.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Owen: I've read many different postings in several forums about not being able to use a ball dropper for Fakini balls. While it's true that the balls don't roll in the dropper, I have found no problems using one. My original came from Hank Lee and seems to be a little larger than most. Now I make my own. They don't have to roll since the weight of the ball is enough to get it where it needs to be. Good luck at the magic circle competition.

Dave
Where the magic begins
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I like the golf balls because they are so easy to hold, compared to what I learned on: wooden balls. However, I must say, that my heart remains with wooden balls. I love clicking them against each other as each new ball is produced (the perfect misdirection for loading the shell). And I love throwing them down at the end to that heavy solid sound they make.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
JePi
View Profile
New user
Germany
13 Posts

Profile of JePi
You are right, Jasmin in LA. In addition the weight of the balls will force you to make slow motions. And if you wear them under your coat they will have the perfect temperature for your hands. At the end of my billard ball act I put all 8 balls in a foulard from which they are disapparing. And the illusion is fantastic because you can see, hear and touch the heavy content in the foulard. And than the balls are gone... you can't do this with lightweight balls (like table tennis balls).
circus_freak17
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of circus_freak17
I am in the midst of buying some Fakini Multiplying balls. When I was about 14 I visited a magic shop and told the dealer that I wanted to do some billiard ball work. I picked up the Vernet and Started playing around with them. He immediately told me that at my age I should get the sponge ones because they are easier to handle. Starting out maybe you should get some sponge and then get some Fakini's. That is what I am doing. I learned the basics and now I am going to get the Fakini's. Well good luck.

Charles
Charles Watson
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I, personally, would start with the Fakini Thimbles. You can carry them with you all the time and practice almost constantly. I agree with Alan about the Goshmann balls for the same reasons.
Magicboy41772
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Magicboy41772
If you want to buy the best to start with, then Billiard Balls are good. If you want to start fast and free (starting today), then try cards. Learn how to backpalm cards from a book or fellow magician. Then do the same thing with more cards and bring them out one by one or in a split fan. Hope this helps! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » What to use (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL