The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Clean Coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
Okay...I have been practicing my palming like mad...(I have one in my left hand as I type this) Now I have an almost indelible impression of a coin in my palm, not just a dent in the flesh, but a noticeable discoloration from the "dirty?" coin.

What do you do to prevent this tell-tale mark when performing for several hours?

Okay, wash your hands alot....I figured that out myself, but is there a cleaner for coins that helps?

Boy is this sounding ridiculous...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions.

Josh

Smile
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Standard jewelery cleaner - and here is a secret one - Taco Bell Fire Sauce !!!

Your coins will get real sticky and gross - but after you wash em in soap and water - they will be real sparkly.

Blessings,
G-Diddy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of G-Diddy
good job with all the practice.
I usually use the jewelry polishing cloth for silver...
Sounds like the taco sauce works also.
stevebraley
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of stevebraley
I don't notice any discoloration when I use silver coins. The metal clad coins frequently leave a grey ring in my hands.
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
It sounded from the question that you were concerned about discoloration of your hands, not the coins. Many people have substances in their skin that react to various metals. My wife for example gets black marks on her skin from any ring or bracelet that is not at least 18K gold - convenient for her Smile but more expensive for me! Smile

If the problem is really bothersome, you might try using "coins" of other materials. Copper, silver, nickel, zinc, gold, plastic (e.g. mardi-gras tokens).

Also, if you are using some kinds of hand moisturizer or cream you may be getting a chemical reaction from them.

Many effects with coins can also be done with similarly shaped candies like wrapped mint patties.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Brown Sauce on the coins, After you wash it off they are sparkling.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Toothpaste also does miracles for cleaning up coins. I use toothpaste and a Dremel tool with a stiff brush and have been very pleased with the results. I follow up with a carnuba based car wax and an old ttoth brush to lock in the shine. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Here are a few additional tips:
Good old ketchup works great. Rub it into the coin, let it sit for a few seconds then rinse... Spray the coins with Windex or any glass cleaner, then sprinkle a little Bon Ami
no scratch cleanser,rub coin between your fingers and rinse. Coins will look good as new. Do this on a regular basis, and you will eliminate the oxidation from the coins to your hands. ...
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
If they are silver coins, the easiest--and least abrasive--method I know to clean them is to get a small glass bowl and line it with aluminum foil; add hot water, a teaspoon of baking soda,and a teaspoon of salt. Place the coins on the aluminum foil and they will be clean in just a few minutes. I've never tried this with the amalgam coins. I doubt if it will work though. It has something to do with a small electrical charge being generated and the oxides on the coins being more attracted to the aluminum than the silver.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Clean Coins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL