The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Weights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Where do you get weights for Chinese sticks??
I'm thinking about Martin Lewis routine.
Thanks
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would machine them out of brass.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Make them yourself. I drilled a hole in a block of wood. Bought some lead from the hardware store. Melted the lead and poured it in the wood block. Got a perfect round weight. Melted the pan on the stove at the same time, so be careful. Don't forget to insert the eyelet before the lead hardens.

Good Luck!
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
I prefer square weights to prevent twisting. I use square brass stock and machine tiny pulleys to fit in a machined slot at the top of the weight. Incorporating teflon into the system will help also - reduces friction.
Jim
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You can shape whatever you want from solder. You can also control the weight. (Do not use acid core solder!)

Having said that, I’ll have to admit that I have used printers’ type before. It worked great. And it was cheap.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Thanks guys.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I'm lazy... Just buy a cheap set and harvest the innards...

If you insist on making your own, you could combine several of the ideas from above. You'll need: A small metal square tube to act as your "form." A lead fishing weight with an eyelet already attached that will fit inside the square little tube. Then surround fishing weight (the empty space inside the square tube with solder. Once the solder cools, push it out of the square tube. Wah-Lah a Chinese stick weight with a built in eyelet that's square to prevent twisting!

Lyndel
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 11:59, wmhegbli wrote:
Make them yourself. I drilled a hole in a block of wood. Bought some lead from the hardware store. Melted the lead and poured it in the wood block. Got a perfect round weight. Melted the pan on the stove at the same time, so be careful. Don't forget to insert the eyelet before the lead hardens.

Make sure to clean your pan very well before cooking in it again, nothing like good 'ol lead in your freshly cooked food.
Handydandymagic
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Handydandymagic
On the Martin Lewis video I thought he used fishing weights with swivels.
Thanks and have a Magical day.
Dandy
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Go to the sporting department and look at the variety of fishing weights, they come in many many shapes and sizesm usually with some means to attach the line!
Also it is soft enough that if you have to mash it around a bit with a hammer, you can do so on the back porch. Just be good to yourself and give a clear coat before sealing inside your tubes, that keeps the oxidation down.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Weights (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL