The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many tricks per show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Hello,all!
I've been an ametuer magician for years now, and I'm making the transition to professional.
I'm sure you all can relate to this...you've learned TONS of tricks/effects,then someone wants you to perform for a party,engagement,etc.

My questions are:
1.How many effects should I perform [in a stage type setting ], AND

2.How many different effects should I perform in a walk-around type of setting?

Help me.....PLEEEAASE!!!!
magicmandb1
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
30 Posts

Profile of magicmandb1
I do all my tricks, so maybe you should too.
"If a tree falls in a forest, and thier's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Ednima:
If you were to do “all my tricks” as suggested, it would indicate a very weak bench. Hopefully you will get some more helpful advice on your thread.

My suggestion for walk around would be to have 5 or 6 things in your pockets (short of bulging) but also have your “mother load” in a secure place, close by.

This way, you can feel your way along as you start out, and find your comfort level. As a new person at walk-around, be aware that you should always ask first if they would like to see some magic.

Walk-around is often a chance for people to chat with each other and asking first is very wise.

Bob
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
You don't need that many effects for a 30 min show because you should have patter. Remember you are a magician who dose magic and entertains not someone who dose magic tricks. This means that you perform effects with patter and make "tricks" magic.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Thanks a lot guys. I read in an earlier thread that Larry Becker does only 5 effects in his standard 30-45 min. show.
Do you think that "magic" (as opposed to mentalism) would require less time (due to its often quick,visual nature) than mentalism, or is patter JUST AS crucial in "regular" magic?
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Ednigma:
(and Jeremy L.)
I did not know that you were talking about a 30 minute Walk-around. In fact, I can not find that in your post, but my eyes are bad. I am not sure where Jeremy L. got that information.

Most (but not all) Walk-around is an hour or two. That being the case, to have six tricks (and patter) in your pockets would seem prudent.

It does not mean (and I did not say) that you should use or do all six. Just have them at the ready.

Bob
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
If you're refering to the Larry Becker comment, it made reference to stage performances (refer to Larry Becker's guest forum).

I wanted a "public consensus", as to what you all felt was an appropriate number of effects in BOTH scenarios:stage AND walk-around.

Thanks Bob!
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
There is more opinion in the walk around sections, but basicly Bob is right.
Three or so tricks at each table, taking five to ten minutes.
The tricks need to be instantly reset and your pockets need to be orginised.

As to the stage effects - rehearse and time your show. That's the only way.
Mentalism is a different thing. But it isn't clever to drag out your tricks. It isn't the mark of a magician to perform as few tricks as possible.
And don't start with 45 minute shows.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I will have my first show in front of an "adult audiance" in September, so I don't have actual experience with stage shows. But I'm already thinking of how many effects I want to include. As far as I am today, I think about 6 to 7 effects is more than enought. All will depend on what you talk about while you perform. Some performers rely on their tricks to speak for themselves, and that is ok if it suits their style. I like to talk, so I don't have that much effects. It's up to you.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Bob-
Ednigma never said 30 min I'm just psychic Smile (I guessed/assumed 30 min).
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
For your first show after the amateur ranks

Let us assume you have said you will perform a 30 min show

Actually perform 25 mins but perform your absolute best material- 6 or 7 effects that go 2-3 mins will be sufficent-always leave them wanting more

Plenty of audience interaction as well as some clever stuff thrown in & finish with your best effect

David Ginn has some great books on routining a show!-check some out if performing for kids etc

Speak to another magician at your club to help as well
good luck
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Thanks a lot for the advice,fellas!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
You are welcome! Have you made a decision on how many effects you are going to perform?

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just made a post that's kind of related to this discussion. You can check it out here:
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......41&0

I also recently touched on this topic in the book I'm working on. I won't go into to much detail here but here's the basic lesson.

In walk around you should never stay to long with a group. Even if they are begging for more. In fact that's usually the best time to leave them because you're on top of the game at that moment. You might be able to do one more for them b ut you don't want to start going down hill and start doing your less entertaining tricks.

Check out this Reaction Graph (Click link)

This graph shows the possible reaction the spectators gave to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th trick you perform. You see that the first trick got a pretty good reaction of 7 (out of ten). The next trick for a 5, then a 6 and the last trick you did got a very strong reaction of 8.

Now, unless you got another trick you think this group will react stronger then the last one (That got an 8 out of 10). Then it's a good time to stop performing for that group and move another one. Otherwise you'll be going down hill.

There's a lot more to this but that's just one way to figure out how many tricks to do for a group. It's not about the number of tricks. It's about the entertainment quality of what you do.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
I agree. The major consensus seems to be geared more towards QUALITY,not quantity.
To answer you Magixx,the number will be determined by how many "so-so" effects I "weed out" from the top-notch ones....Thanks
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
I think it depends entierly on the length of the show but if your just starting off maybe 5 -10 but that's just me
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
What hasn't been mentioned in reference to close-up magic is that if you're booked for one hour and there are only 6 tables, you've got to do 10 minutes at each table! Then again, I've had events where there are 30 tables and I only have two minutes at each (assuming the organizer wants me to cover every table), in which case I do just one miracle at each table.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
View Profile
New user
Niagara, Ontario
68 Posts

Profile of Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
I do between 7 to 9 effects during a 30 minute show. I have timed each trick so I know what will fit depending on the type of show. A lot of gags go over well too especially with kids. You can get a lot of mileage out of site gags or silly questions.
Time each trick then go from there.
One Mustn't study a magician to closely,
Never look up his sleeve,
Never look under his hat,
Just sit back and let him do his act.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Of course you have to have a ball park figure, a place to start. But as others have stated, it's not the number of effects but the LENGTH that each effect takes. I've done a 3 minute chop cup routine that wound up going on for almost 10 minutes because of the audience participation and enjoyment. In that one I used my raven to vanish the ball from the hand of a spectator. Other times I'll use my Vernet Universal P**l or any one of about a half dozen little 'extras' that I have waiting. I have a large die that I sometimes produce so I can say, "THIS routine is getting dicey" or a walnet "...Nuts, wrong again!" or a small clay coil of dog poop, "Crap! I just can't get this trick to work right."

A 3 minute chop cup routine could last 3 minutes or 10 with the laughter.

It's also lasted 30 seconds when it was obvious this wasn't the best place for a trick.

Depends on a lot of stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many tricks per show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL