The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Change bag without a handle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Anybody make one of these? I've sketched up some plans and am going to make one of these as a test this week and was wondering if maybe its just easier to buy one as opposed to spending a couple of hours cutting and stitching. I've got a dexent one with a handle but they always looked suspicious to me with a handle on 'em.

Sammy the Kid
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
A simple one is really easy to make. I made mine by cutting 3 pieces of fabric, one being a bit longer than the other two. To that longer piece I made a channel and inserted a piece of flexible plastic (from a display tray for easter eggs) and hemmed the end of the other two. Placed all three (carefully lined up) on top of each other and just sewed. Trimmed the edges and turned it inside out. Took about 30 minutes and works like a charm. Just remember that the center piece (with the plastic strip to aid in handling) goes on top when you sew, when turned inside out it goes in the middle. If you choose to do like I did, make sure the plastic (or whatever you use) is short enough so when assembling you don't sew it in place but it remains between the two outside seams of the bag. Handles much better.
Sent from my Typewriter
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you think the one handled version looks suspicious (unless you are taking up a collection in a church) what makes you think stuffing something in a bag is any better? There needs to be a reason for introducing it, or it will always "look suspicious." The best one I ever saw was the lady's handbag used in the parasol trick. The lady came on carrying a parasol and a handbag... it was there, so it got used. You can still find wooden or metal handbag tops to sew onto the top of your change bag at sewing shops. But again, make sure you have a reason for it, otherwise use a different method to make the change. For example, if you were doing a bar act, throwing the objects to be changed into a shaker can might make more sense. Of course, the Wizard way is always the best (I'm biased that way). Just tap it with your wand and it changes. No bag, no tube, no box.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Change bag without a handle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL