The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lecture Schedule? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
I didn't know where to post this so I hope you don't mind me taking up bandwidth here...

I'm relatively new to magic (got back into it a year ago after a 18 year break)
but have decided to pursue this a bit more seriously over the last several months. And I thought a great way to get some more exposure would be to attend various lectures given (in particular by magicians I admire).

So with that said, I am wondering if there is a resource online where you can check the schedule of the various lecture tours going on around the country?

Thanks,
Steve
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
The best place to check would be with your local IBM ring. They should know about lectures comming to your area.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
So Happy together... is our Café's listing of lectures, conventions and appearances.

Lee Darrow, Staff
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
Thanks guys!

I have already checked with one of the local IBMs but wanted to see if there was a national listing or a resource site as I travel a lot (for business), and it would be great to add something fun during my trips...

Steve
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Milamber,

Just one more thing you may want to think about.If you do join a local IBM or SAM ring in your area, you get the mags with your membership. IBM has the Linking Rings Magazine (which is really like a small book) you recieve a couple times a year with your membership. SAM has the Mum magazine. Each of these list all the conventions, lectures and things of interest that are coming up and you can possibly plan your schedule ahead of time. I highly recommend them.

Some rings may only advertise locally regarding upcoming lectures, unlike a convention. It's always been my experience however if you visit a city and introduce yourself at the local magic shop most are in the know of what events are happening around town that would interest you.

If no brick and motar shop exist in that city, than with the mags I've spoken previously abou list the local rings in cities all around the world and contact numbers. Again it's been my experience that rings will always be accomodating to having a visitor from out of town. It's the brotherhood of magicans (IBM) :O)
Even if you don't belong to a ring yourself and phone one of the contact numbers, most clubs will welcome you as a guest for the evening.

Chrystal
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
Chrystal,

Thanks a lot for your advice. Good to know.

I often schedule my trips months in advance so that could work out...

I am currently practicing a handful of effects (cards, rubberbands and coins into a small routine) in the event there is an audition to become accepted (eventually I'd like to try out for a membership at the Castle as well) by one of the local rings. I've been told it's not a big deal (although it is to me).

So we'll see when I will eventually seek membership, but in the interim I will check with local magic shops and the internet.

Thanks again.
Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lecture Schedule? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL