The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » The 10 Greatest Magicians of all time! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks for clarifying, Glenn. Smile Unfortunately, I did not get the opportunity to see their show live. Wish I had. Glad you were able to. I have seen them on T.V. and Video quite a bit, though. They will always be top of my list. LOVE those guys. Smile

I do agree with Mr. Townsend. The number 10 doesn't really work here.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-07-28 21:35, Ed Hutchison wrote:
I saw Del Ray perform twice, and, if you check above, you'll find that he made my list. He was a great, great, entertainer.

That's for darn sure. Most magicians have never even heard of Del Ray.(and from what I can tell, that was fine with him.) I would rather watch a 1 hour video of Del Ray than have had a lifetime pass to see Siegfried & Roy in person any time I wanted. And I'm not kidding about that.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'd take your lifetime pass off your hands, Vandy Smile
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
If I had one it would be yours. "Compliments of me"

Vandy
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Nobody mentioned Richiardi, Jr. I saw him many years ago at the Village Gate in NYC and again a few years later at Madison Square Garden. If you ever saw him perform the Broom Suspension, you would rank him as one of the greatest stage illusionists.

Although I have only seen a brief clip of him doing the Thumb Tie, I think that Willard the Wizard also deserves a spot on the list. He had at least three completely different two hour illusion shows. Who else could do that today?

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Jim-

Of Course!! Richiardi

Just last week I dug out an old video special of his hosted by actor Christopher Lee all filmed Live which made it even better

His Broomstick & Levitations as well as DeKolta chair were incredible but what I originally wanted to see was his very Dramatic "Razor Blade Illusion

Couldve heard a pin drop as he bought them out-Fabulous stuff
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Ching ling Soo!!!!!!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Blutrol,

Do you mean Chung Ling Soo (William Robinson) or Ching Ling Foo?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2005-07-28 19:50, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-28 18:04, magicalaurie wrote:
What's your question, Glenn?

Have you seen the Siegfried and Roy show live on the stage was the question. I never saw their big show but I saw their act at the MGM. It was quite spectacular.

I had the opportunity to see Siegfried & Roy live at the Mirage and it was a very impressive show. It was one of the best stage shows ever.The one thing I really remember was the energy that Roy had on stage and every show both he and Siegfried acted toward the audience like this show was their first and showed a lot of enthusiasm. So sad about Roy now, sure hope he has a total recovery as they both deserve recognition for what they did for magic.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You're very lucky to have had the opportunity to see their show live, Rennie. Smile
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
I saw Doug Henning on Broadway (Iin the Magic Show) around 1975, or so. I don't remember the exact year, but it was a performance I'll never forget. Stunning was totally stunning.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
1. Dai Vernon
2. David Copperfield
3. Paul Daniels
4. Siegfried and Roy
5. Harry Blackstone
7. Larry Jennings
8. Houdini
9. Mark Wilson
10. Michael Ammar

In no particular order
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
"Greatest" is one of the difficult words here. Of course, there are many magicians I would LOVE to have seen and many of my favorites I don't think are the "greatest". Nonetheless, this futile pursuit is continued here... https://www.carnivalofillusion.com/best-......time.php Amazingly there is FILM of many of them! We based this list on which magicians altered the future of magic. That is how we chose to interpret the definition of "great".
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Too difficult a question, given we’ll see Thurston, Keller, Hermann, Chung Ling Soo, or so many others of the golden age of magic...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
I had to split it between inventors and performers

Magic Inventor Trick
Buatier de Kolta  Vanishing Lady, Vanishing Birdcage
John Nevil Maskelyne Levitation with hoop pass
Harry Houdini Metamorphosis, Chinese Water Torture Cell, Vanishing Elephant
Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin Ethereal Suspension, light and heavy box, Inexhaustible Bottle
P.T. Selbit sawing a lady in half
Robert Harbin  zig zag
Servais Le Roy Asrah, Palanquin
David Devant Mascot Moth, Artists’ Dream, Obliging Kettle
Harry Kellar The Levitation of Princess Karnac
Jim Steinmeyer Origami

Performer
David Copperfield Story telling, museum.of magic, classic stage performer
Tommy Wonder rolled up sleeves vanishing birdcage, great attention to detail
Harry Blackstone Jr Floating lightbulb. great voice and stage presence
Doug Henning Classic stage performer
Lance Burton Classic stage performer
Dai Vernon double turnover, cups and balls
The Pendragons Fastest Metamorphosis, clear sawing a woman in half
Cyril Takayama Street Magic
Pop Haydin entertaining, love his expressions, love his patter
Kevin James Floating Rose, Snow, Bowl-a-rama (also very entertaining)

Respected but lack of video (Thurston, Herrmann the Great)
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Generally not a fan of these "top 10 greatest" lists, but I will chime in on Seigfried & Roy. I saw the show in 2000 and really liked it. Maybe not the most mind blowing magic ever seen, but visually it had to be the most spectacular show I'm ever likely to witness. Everything about it, from the tigers to the costumes to the music and staging was just fantastic. It would only be a year or two after that Roy's mishap would force the show to close, so I'm lucky I got to see it when I did.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Just so glad to see Harry Blackstone Jr. (I miss the black tie and tails) on so many lists and I have a fondness for Doug Henning. Both were my introduction to magic back in the day when talk shows like Mike Douglas would feature them for a good part of their shows.
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
All the magi listed here are no doubt are among the greatest. However the big stage acts in my opinion not in the same category as the slight of hand experts of days gone by. I don't think a large stage production is anymore great than a in your face closeup performer with card, coins or what have you. The stage acts do take timing and performance ability but assistants do most of the work. The coin worker or card worker takes much more dedication to to perform routines and they are by themselves and rely only on their ability. Other sleight of hand experts also have the same thing, they rely on their ability and nothing or no one else. So I think some folks are being overlooked here. Dean Dill is one of them.
I don't understand all I know about this
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
No one has mentioned John Carney. . .so I will.
"But there isn't a door"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I see no one has answered the OP. S/he asked for specific categories.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » The 10 Greatest Magicians of all time! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL