The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » marvey card » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
It is not published and not available
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Eventhough he did not come at 1st place at FISM I still he is the greatest manipulation.

Compare to Jeff McBride, I prefe choose Peter with his "open widely finger card production" which fool almost knowledge magician and laymen.

I DOUBT anyone who said that he know or saw what gimmick that Peter used... Smile

Hengky
WizzBE
View Profile
New user
Belgium
7 Posts

Profile of WizzBE
I am creating a whole new manipulation act where I use clean manipulation sleights but I want to learn the principle after a card catcher maybe that it can add something extra to my act. Smile
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
There is one person that knows how to make such gimmick. It is "Kardini" and he is from Brazil. Smile
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Huh....

If someone knows how to make the gimmick like Peter's, he must be Peter himself.

If Kardini really-really could make that gimmick, why he did not win any manipulation competion like FISM ... Smile

Like I said before, I very DOUBT that anyone else know what gimmick that Peter used.
Peter has proved to us that he could even fooled the judge.

Everyone just make a comment that Peter used some sort of hold out, etc... that all nonsense. Hold out just could be used when we wear a long shirt (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hengky
WizzBE
View Profile
New user
Belgium
7 Posts

Profile of WizzBE
I agree with Hengky. Smile

But is it that difficult to create a card catcher because it's very hard to find one in a magic shop?

Can anyone explain me the principle behind a card catcher or PM me? Smile
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Hengky, no offense.. but you are completely mistaken. Just because Peter Marvey fooled TV audiences on WGM it doesn't mean that he fooled magicians. When I first saw him do that on WGM I knew exactly how it was done. It was very cool, and I thought it was a great addition, but it didn't fool me. For all you know, the judge at FISM might not have been fooled. Why do I know this? Because, here's an example:

In no way am I at all discrediting Johnny Ace Palmer. He is one of the greatest magicians of our time. But I don't think the judge was actually fooled by his silk going into another silk routine. But guess what? He won FISM, 1st place at IBM and SAM! He's got an incredible act.

Second to note. The reason Kardini did not win FISM, with the same card catcher is not because he can't actually do it, but the judges probably didn't think he was the best candidate for 1st place. Also, it wasn't just Marvey's little "catcher" that made his whole act. His manip. act is great along with the multiplying drinks and everything. When I was at IBM in San Diego I saw my friend Jason Latimer do the exact same thing followed by the next act where both in their card manip. acts spread out their fingers and then produce a card from Ba****lm But that didn't make their whole act. They didn't win.

I hope I wasn't harsh at all. I am just tired of always hearing people say "I don't think that you can really do that because if you could you would win FISM like he did" I hear it all too often.

Thanks
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Marvey uses a number of different techniques for card productions. The catcher, a modified ba***alm(think of variations), regular ba***alm, tenkai, and jumbo productions (similar to method on McBride's Card Manipulation tape 3). I don't know this for sure but have studied his routine at great length. Also I think he uses a thin manipulation card not Bees. Lots of good misdirection and some black art help.
Great card act with the best finale I've ever seen, a little long though IMHO.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
WizzBE
View Profile
New user
Belgium
7 Posts

Profile of WizzBE
Does he uses the catcher method for opening his fingers very wide or does he use a gimmick as several people in this forum suggest?
I know all the other productions/moves but in which book or video can I find the catcher method or is it a new method of marvey himself?

WizzBE
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
In fact he does spread his fingers completely.

I hope this anwers your question.

Regards
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Read my other post please, it is not published and not available.Remember, this is here and we should not expose
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Ben,

I did not mean to offense anyone. In my experience in magic I meet a lot of people who could just talking big.
They said that they know, how the trick is done but actually they do NOT know anything.
They just do this to get an attention from others. Smile

So, that's why, I did not trust easily someone who know the big secret magic like Peter's routine.
Why we should have to lie something that we don't know...

Hengky
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
I agree with Hengky Ciptanegara
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I agree as well Hengky, but Ben and I are both well aware of the method, and I for one, even spoke to you in pm's about it. So why is this still a question? Too be honest (and I am not in any way belittling Peter's routine), but it is not that big a secret, (as far as manipulators are concerned).

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » marvey card » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL