The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Production of flash products (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mariomagic
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of mariomagic
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you guys can tell me how to make flash paper paper sheets(i mean an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet) of flash paper. or if you could let me know of a company that will do it for me?

Thanks
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Buy them. This is nothing to fool with. You could blow up your house, yourself or ruin the plumbing in your house.

They make 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. Contact Joe Lefler at Funtastic if you can't find them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I once had a chemist make flash products for me (a REAL chemist in a REAL laboratory... NOT a wannabe). He just happened to be a hobbyist magician and a friend. Knowing the processes involved, and the possible consequences, I would NEVER, EVER attempt it myself.

Listen to Richard's advice!!! Unless you want a Darwin Award, you don't need to die over something this trivial.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Well, if you know how to make things that go boom really big, stop just before you get there!
Besides, you do NOT want the bills that come from having to deal with the Hazardous waste you will be making, or the fines if you get caught dumping illegally- it will be much cheaper to buy it!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
The above responses are correct. Making flash paper, cotton, or flash string (all are nitrocellulose) requires soaking in acid and many washings. It is expensive to buy acid and difficult to keep it. Just buy your paper, that's what I did many years ago when I was a member of Pyrotechnics Guild International and had considerable experience with the chemicals used to make fireworks.
Dave
mariomagic
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of mariomagic
Thanks everyone for your comments. I never knew it was so dangerous. I will keep away don't worry. Since no one has answered my second question I will ask a bit differently as it may not be understood, can anyone refer me to a company that can make me a specific flash paper product in bulk and if possible non-bulk.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
The other problem with making your own flash products is it is hard to get things "just right" which can make them very shelf UN-stable. Not doing it yourself is "...a good thing, Anthony..."

The number one (if not the only)manufacturer of flash products is Nassau Chemical. According to the Magic Dealers Association Web site, their contact info is-
NASSAU CHEMICAL CORP.
PO BOX 547
NORTH OLMSTED, OH 44070-0547
(440) 779-6568
FAX (440) 779-6568
Wholesale, Manufacturer "Fantastic Flash Paper"

If you are just looking for standard pyro goodies, try Theatre Effects. THese guys are great to work with!
http://www.theatrefx.com/
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dave is correct on the manufacturer. Joe Lefler handles all their stuff. It is shipped wet so it is pretty safe.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I had a friend in high school literally blow the roof off his bedroom messing with homemade pyrotechnic stuff. They had a closed-casket funeral for him. Take this stuff seriously. It can be very dangerous.

Richard
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I do make my own... (this line is only here to qualify the rest of what I say.)

I do not in any way recommend it, condone it, encourage it, or suggest in any way that anyone should even think about doing it!

Firstly we are talking about something that comes under the category of "HIGH EXPLOSIVE" - so we are not talking about some black powder in a pan that may burn you.

Secondly, the chemicals involved are about as UN-user-friendly as you can possibly get.

So, apart from the fact that it is highly illegal (no matter what country you are in), it is dangerous just handling the totally unforgiving chemicals and illegal to dump the waste down the drain.

The whole process is NO STEPS away from producing High Explosives!

If you don't know what you are doing at EVERY SINGLE STEP, it is akin to putting your head in a lions mouth whilst bashing the lion on the head with a mallet! (If the chemicals don't get you, the blowing your hand off will! Or much worse!)

Please, just don't!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Ah who needs hands anyway, Lots of magicians perform with no...

Um, never mind.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 13:46, haywire wrote:
Ah who needs hands anyway, Lots of magicians perform with no...

Um, never mind.

By looking at your picture, your hands seem to be on fire anyway!

How are the burns? Smile
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I have to say I myself was very careless with my fire magic, always going yeah yeah, its dangerous to anyone who mentioned that to me.

A small accident later, I can say I take every precaution and have much more respect for the artform. Lucky for me my own bad experience was only some first degree burns and a big scare.

I shall never again not treat the props and methods without the utmost respect...

Steven
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Y'know, I never even considered that the acids were a pain to maintain and especially to dispose of. That, and the fact that Homeland Security might take a real interest in what you've purchased really kind of takes the "fun" out of it.
Definitely cheaper to buy it. How many things you can say that about ?

Besides, who wants to be known as "The Amazing Stumpy " ?
:P
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Actually it DOES work out cheaper to buy it and 3000% easier!
...and 1,000,000% less dangerous.

But pyrotechnics used to be a profession of mine and now a hobby. (So I have the licenses etc)

Chris.
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
There is at least one magic dealer in Europe that lost his life due to a flash paper explosion and another incident where a dealer en route to a magic convention was seriously hurt or died in a car accident which involved flash paper going off accidently.
During my time at the magic hands we stored the flashpaper /-string etc very carefull. it came in water filled plastic bags from the supplier but we actually stored those bags in a water filled tub.
Manufacturing flash paper is definately a case where "Do not try this at home" has to be applied by everyone with a brain.
And may I further suggest that you take the utmost care of the flash products that you purchase. Make sure they are kept wet at all times. The manufacturers seal could have the tiniest of holes and the water could very slowly drip out leaving you with dry flashpaper. Do not take any risk for yourself or your family.
ryan8406
View Profile
New user
Elkton, Maryland
88 Posts

Profile of ryan8406
Blacksmagic has a dvd out on how to make flash paper...seems like a lot of work and a lot of time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Production of flash products (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL