The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Travel the world (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-01-08 01:52, aussiemagic wrote:

I like the idea of the briefcase on the tripod too! Actually, }I am looking to make something like this. Two questions though: What exactly is a Eureka table base? And, what is a "frange"?

"Table Base - Eureka" Open the link below and go over half way down. There are a lot more other type of tables listed here also:
http://www.magiclegends.com/magictables.html

"Frange", I spelled it wrong. I meant "Flange", the flat part a tripod screws into to keep it sturdy to the piece it is supporting/holding up.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-01-08 04:31, The Mighty Fool wrote:
To VanVranken: You use the McAbbee rings in your street act??!!? I don't even like those for table-hopping!! I've heard of a few others using them for strolling & table-hopping, but I can't imagine using them for a busker's edge!

Why not? They're attractive, meaning people stop to see what's going on, you can work them one-on-one, you can expand the routine by walking around showing the rings in their linked state, etc...

In a place where I was unsure of the language it seemed to be a good choice.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
It's been my experience that anything can work on the street if you do it well. I used to have a real hard line view of what would work and what would not. After I got out there at a pitch that was around a lot of other performers I saw people doing stuff I never would have imagined.

I've seen stuff that I thought was really impractical but if you work the same spot everyday you create a system and it gets easy. it then becomes practical for them.

A lot of guys start out really close up and then move the crowd back (if a bigger crowd is what they are looking for). I know when I was doing my table act in Harvard Square I was not looking for a big crowd so I did a lot of close up stuff and kept them right on top of me.

In my opinion pretty much anything can work if you are willing to work it. YMMV

best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I recently saw a magician perform (busk) in Kampala. He had no props, in fact, he didn't even have shoes. However, he held the imaginations of 300 people hostage for 40 minutes, turning himself into a mountain, a bird, and several other contortions. He didn't make much--especially since everyone here is so poor--but he's making a living.

That said, I don't recommend busking (at all) in Africa. What will probably happen is that a policeman will get the idea that he can threaten to put you in jail to squeeze a bribe out of you.

But let's say that doesn't happen. You're still stuck with the exchange rate. (We're talking pennies here... considering Africans would even think about giving money to a fair-skinned person).

Best case scenario for Americans--as I see it--is to do the UK and EU countries... whatever you make gets multiplied with the exchange rate; then travel.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-01-08 00:57, Dynamike wrote:
I just thought of another idea. Screw a frange to one side of a solid briefcase.

Sounds like a great idea. Keep in mind that you should have something IN the briefcase like a piece of plywood or the like for the flange to actually be attached to. (YOU know that of course, but there's going to be someone out there trying to figure out why the screws won't stick into the leather!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Travel the world (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL