The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Gimmicked coins? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jcorb
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of jcorb
Here's another place that might be interesting. http://www.roykueppers.com/kueppeskeepers.html
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-02-19 11:03, doublelift wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-18 19:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
I like the memory card wallets you get at Wal-Mart. There are also some good holders that were made to hold 35 mm slides. Camera shops are a great source.

Would I be correct to assume these are for holding photos? Just making sure I am looking in the right part of Wal-Mart!

No. These are for holding Compact Flash media cards. Each wallet has 6 pockets -- three on a side -- and they zip shut. They cost about $4.00 each. They are made of black leatherette.

You will find them in the photo section, though. I think they are made by CaseLogic. They are about 4 inches by 2 inches by 3/4 inch thick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MKmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MKmagic
I store them in a little coin purse. If I am wearing jeans I put them in
the watch pocket to keep them seperate from my pocket change.
kdb424
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburg PA
120 Posts

Profile of kdb424
Yes. I learned to never stick gaffed coins in you pockets. I spent $30 on a Coke!
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-02-19 23:44, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-19 11:03, doublelift wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-18 19:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
I like the memory card wallets you get at Wal-Mart. There are also some good holders that were made to hold 35 mm slides. Camera shops are a great source.

Would I be correct to assume these are for holding photos? Just making sure I am looking in the right part of Wal-Mart!

No. These are for holding Compact Flash media cards. Each wallet has 6 pockets -- three on a side -- and they zip shut. They cost about $4.00 each. They are made of black leatherette.

You will find them in the photo section, though. I think they are made by CaseLogic. They are about 4 inches by 2 inches by 3/4 inch thick.

I've got four of these and I really like them for storing coins. You can put the coins in the "flips" (the technical name for those little plastic holders you get from the coin store) and then put the flips in the slots where the memory cards would go, or you can just slide the coins in the slots. But if you don't use the plastic holders, the coins may slide out of their respective clots if the case is turned over.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
I continue to search for the perfect holder. I keep the coins stored in a leather coin purse. To produce coins from a purse makes them appear to be "something special". I would prefer to just pick the coins from a pocket but that is rather abusive to these expensive coins. I did find a holder called a taxi wallet, but didn't purchase it and have never seen the item again.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Mine go from a coin purse to coin slots in my pouch for performance, then back to the coin purse for storage again.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Years ago, while merchanting in the Medieval recreation group, my wife and I were making and selling small suede pouches that snapped shut and came stocked with 3 condoms (trying to promote safe activities among both young and old). These work wonderfully for separating coin sets. Made from different colors of suede, it is quite easy to find the one you seek. Each will hold up to six half dollars.

Within my magic bag I have repurposed an old, Chinese styled jewelry box that I picked up at a garage sale. It came to me with padded sides and bottom, which proved to be problematic, with coins getting stuck in the corners. I cut a piece of 1/4" high-density ply to fit the bottom, then created dividers from the same stock, using half-lap joints. I applied a bit of stain and it now matches the frame of the bag (walnut). The box holds most of my coin effects, including three Okito boxes (standard, Boston and a standard, curve sided), a brass Swords thru Coin, a pair of paddles that I custom made for a specific effect, a brass Cubio and my wooden Imp Bottle. On top of the case is a leather coin wallet that I purchased at a magic convention - this holds my most often used effects, along side a dedicated Devil's Handkerchief that is used with the brass nesting boxes, kept in a drawer mounted under the sliding tray, with holes in the bottom so that I can easily get a hold of the box tops and flip them onto the bottoms. A few of my coin sets, such as my S&S, are stored in small, velvet draw-string bags (about the same size as the suede bags).

Coins, like any other apparatus, need to be stored in a fashion that will enable you to find the effect you seek, without having to hunt for them. I redesigned my magic bag when the old one (30 years of service) finally got to the point of the leather tearing out. I decided to make the next one so that I would have plenty of room for my effects, stored in a way that allowed instant access to the effect sought. It isn't exactly Hermione's beaded bag with an "accio" spell, but it is the next best thing. Now if I could only do something about the weight factor....
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
At gigs for a very long time I had coins in a purse or two; one for halves and other for dollars. However this was really practical for just two sets of coins because there was a risk of coins getting mixed. Eric Jones turned me onto zippered multipocket coin purses and I got Jerry O Connol one but the elastics of the pockets were so loose that if the purse moved inside the pocket the coins fell out of their slots and when opened they were all over the place. Nice for storage but not reliable for performing. So I ended up making sort of slot card of my own. Similar to coin production gimmick by Chad Long. Basically it is a cardboard with 9 slits/slots for coins. This whole thing fits into my everyday wallet and it is basically only as thick as one coin is. So now in my everyday wallet I have always with me 9 different coin gaffs, in pocket that is reserved just for them and I can do coin stuff anywhere, anytime Smile
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
I use Kennedy's for all my coin tricks,
since our currency is the euro I don't have to worrie about vending machine mistakes.
In Euro the biggest coin is way smaller then the half dollar so it's a perfect innocent excuse to use foreign coins: they look better and are bigger
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I prefer an “accordion” style leather credit card wallets that are perfect to organize, store and access a LOT of thin props like coins, gaff coins, paper currency gaffs, business cards etc... in a small area that easily stored in a jacket pocket. With some planning you can reach into your jacket pocket and find your chosen prop by feel like an index. Then when you are done for your set, then it zips up tight and toss in your closeup case!

Blessings
Steph

RFID Blocking Wallet for Women Security Card Holder for Travel and Work Genuine Leather Accordion Zip Wallet for Credit Cards and Cash Coin Purse Wallet Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ8D0R2/ref......b147BMZY

Beyond just as a pocket keeper, I also use Quiver wallets. You can separate 2 separate effects. And it makes a great segue to end effect #1 and change them to something else and start effect#2. (e.g. - I love to carry a 4 Morgan shell coin set on one side and John Sheets “Cool Cash” on the other side. When I finish the coins across with spectators hands I say “some people think I use 5 dollars to do that trick...it’s TRUE!” and I transform the coins to the folded $5 bill to start “Cool Cash”! It surprises everyone and you are set to perform!

Blessings Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
aabc
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of aabc
I just put them in a separate compartment of my wallet that I would have no reason to go into unless I was spending money. Works for me Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Meir Yedid has nice coin coin wallet, and a card and coin wallet as well.

https://www.mymagic.com/p/money-magic/card-coin-pouch
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
I use memory card wallets (https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/s-f-memory-wallet-20-lp36255-0ww/) for long term storage of coins and gaffs. They're not air tight (you can fix that with an outer container), but they hold on to the coins (halves and dollars) and don't let them rattle around.
TheGladsomeBeast
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheGladsomeBeast
I use mini altoid containers, they are compact, sturdy and you can fit a surpising amount fo stuff in them. I have a green one for my ungimmicked stuff and a red one for gimicks. I also have some that have all of the props needed for "impromptu" performances.
bretti_bln
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of bretti_bln
The Quiver is a nice place to carry them away and at home I like to use a couple of wooden coin-boxes for coin collectors. Used they are cheap on ebay and you can find them in all sizes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Gimmicked coins? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL