The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Close up mat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Olszanski
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Olszanski
I made a close up mat out of foam board and felt over top. It looks nice and is very sturdy -- in fact too sturdy. It has little give for when you need a grip below something, or for doing matrix. What other materials have you used in contructing such a simple device? A sponge backing might work but I worry about its longevity.
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
257 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
How about using mouse pads for your intended purpose ?

Matt
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Use the stuff for automobile headliners!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I consructed one using a piece of long pile carpet with a thick cloth glued over the top.
I normally use a dealer item, but wanted a large one for a cups and ball routine.
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
Mine is just made of foam, front and back. You could probably make something like that.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
I've seen mats made of thick wetsuit material.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Certain carpet tiles make good ones...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
The surface of pool tables can be used too
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Olszanski
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Olszanski
Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I'll try the headliners first, then the wetsuit idea -- the dive shops must have some old ones they throw out. Thanks!
Tony
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
I say just buy one. I got mine from penguinmagic.com for 12 dollars and it gives me everything I want from it.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Got mine from Magic Warehouse and perfectly happy with it!
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Dean Dill's close up pads are wonderful. I bought 2 of them 6 years ago and they look as good as the day I bought them (I take good care of them of course) and they have the perfect amount of cushion for good table magic.

I also practice on the cheap magic shop mats, so that I'm not too spoiled by the perfect service Dean's pads offer. I don't always have the luxury of performing on my own pad.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I just made a mat to go on top of a custom performing table I made. I was going to just buy one, but I couldn't find one large enough (I needed it to be 24 1/2" and couldn't find anything that long). I first tried suede over wool felt, but there was not enough give for some of the moves. So I replaced the suede with a high quality velvet over that. I attached this to a base that has a hard black surface on the other side for dice stacking, and built a frame of purpleheart to go around the entire thing (purple and black is my color scheme). The velvet works like a dream, perfect for card and coin work, as well as 3 shell game, etc. There are various grades of velvet - I chose the heaviest, as I figured this would wear best and give the best surface. My cost for the felt and velvet was around $13.00. This looks better than the mats you buy (I have used a variety of mats, and feel they are excellent value for the money, and they all work well, though the neoprene are too stiff for my taste), and is reasonably cost effective. I think this is similar to what Dean Dill offers, though I have never seen any of his mats (his Dean's box is of the highest quality, so if that is any indication...).
Bill
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I'm in the UK, so can someone explain what "the stuff for automobile headliners" is?
The term "headliner" in this context is something I don't understand.
Thanks
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Headliner is the padded fabric used to cover the interior of automobile roofs. Sometimes it's vinyl, but most often it's a velvet like fabric.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Try putting a layer of cheap batting underneath the felt.
Works great for me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Close up mat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL