The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Show your best stuff before you're hired? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
If you are meeting a client who is interested in booking you, and when they ask you to show them some tricks, is it wise to do your best stuff right there and then to secure the booking?

Do you go for:

a) show them a sample, hoping that they will want more?

or

b) go all out and do all your showstoppers? I'm sometimes afraid to do this, because at the actual gig, the people think "hmm...thats all he does? He can't have much of a repertoire."

This came into my head because I am doing a wedding fair next week. I am so tempted to do anniversary waltz at the wedding fair....but then on the wedding day, I can't exactly do it again can I?
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I would have to go with option a. You could do it again but then people know the outcome of the trick..
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Showstoppers don't normally pack small, despite the advertising on some packages. The best thing to do is give one or two free samples--things that are quick, visual, and show off your personality. They are booking you, not your magic tricks.
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Houdini would gather a crowd hanging upside down in a straight jacket and escape.
He used this to publicize his show.
So using that train of thought, show them some wow tricks, but not the show stoppers. You have to tease and leave the people wanting more.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Got to get the job now don't you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Show your best stuff before you're hired? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL