The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Will Rope Magic Become Obsolete? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Heck the Computer Mouse Cord got me thinking. I might just cut me a small length and go into a friends office and do the Cut & Restored Mouse Cord using their scissors and there mouse. Smile
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Computer Mouse Cord is good or routines involving electrical cords ala Klamm Magic.

John
Nothing is better than more.
gphrenol
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gphrenol
I agree that now days people see more mouse cords and fiber optic cables than ropes. But gosh it feel so nice to have a real rope in my hands. It is something physical that we all know has been around since almost dirt. I need to make a routine using electrical cable but know my love of ropes will always be strong.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
If you are a guy that has grown up in the US and some of the other coutries that have Boy Scout troops or go camping, you will always use rope and will be familar with tying knots. So to answer the question, no.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I agree with Pete Biro on the Loftus rope, and also agree that rope magic will never be out of style.

Why will rope magic always be with us?

Every audience of every age, everywhere, in every country, "gets" that you're doing a magic trick with rope: No explanation needed....what could be a better "Universal" magic prop?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think we are more in danger of newspaper magic becoming obsolete than rope magic. Seriously. With the advent of digital, I have read that a lot of newspapers in the U.S. are folding (I did NOT intend that as a pun!!)

And if our society goes "cashless", what will become of the thousands of effects that use paper currency and coins? (And the guys who make a living performing them?)

But rope magic? I think it's safe. Along with card magic. Probably the only safe place to run when the other forms of magic performance are memories.

And that's my take on it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug
Little kids don't recognize a deck of cards.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Huh?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug
When I pull out a deck of cards at a bday party for 3 and 4 year olds they shout out "boring do something else" cards just don't compute for little ones.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 11:26, Al Angello wrote:
Doug
Little kids don't recognize a deck of cards.

Some kids equate the cards to flash cards or learning cards still used by some teachers. If you use card techniques with those cards, you will have their attention.

Now, if they don't recognize the regular cards, take 40 seconds to teach them. Ie; 52 cards with numbers and pictures all different with shapes like hearts and diamonds, and Kings and Queens. The story will hold their interest.

Personify the cards with a "cops and robbers" story or some other simple story. Get medieval cause kids still love good and evil and Kings queens and jokers and a pecking order of numbered cards.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-03-22 08:41, Al Angello wrote:
Doug
When I pull out a deck of cards at a bday party for 3 and 4 year olds they shout out "boring do something else" cards just don't compute for little ones.

Oh, I know that. I was just having trouble relating that post to the one that proceeded it as I had not mentioned kids.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Will Rope Magic Become Obsolete? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL