The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Public Domain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
If I wanted to make up my own Svengali Decks or Wizard Decks, I could proceed to do so because the copyrights have lapsed.

What other manufactured tricks out there have lapsed copyrights and have entered public domain?

Dai Bato
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Actualy, isn't the "Svengali" a patent?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I don't know about the name, but the deck itself was patented in 1925. However, I don't think there would be any problem making them. I was making them for a while and had some pretty cool packaging from them that included a fully scripted routine. Unfortunately, making my own was not very cost effective. I found I could buy good quality pre-made decks for less than I could buy the materials to make them. Plus, I didn't have to do any of the work.

Thanks,
Richard
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-06-16 13:45, rtgreen wrote:
Plus, I didn't have to do any of the work.

Thanks,
Richard

Now that appeals to me!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
cromano
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of cromano
I looked up this patent in my new book and a man by the name of William I. Davidson of Long Beach, CA was granted a patent (1,541,925) on 6/16/1925 for a "Svengali" type deck.

81 years to this day. I think your safe making your own decks!
Best Regards,
Chuck Romano
www.chuckromanomagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Davidson's patent could have easily been invalidated. Burling Hull copyrighted the original Svengali deck, which he called The Improved Cards Mysterious, in 1909. But copyright was not the correct way to protect the trick, so it went into the public domain.

The pre-existence of this deck would have invalidated Davidson's patent, had anyone pursued it. But the patent has been dead for a very long time.

Make 'em.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
What other manufactured tricks out there have lapsed copyrights and have entered public domain?

Dai Bato
Colin Gilbert
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Colin Gilbert
Aha, theres the rub! If you want to make and sell tricks, look at what you think you could make, then see if there is a patent for it (lapsed or not) if there never was one, away you go! No-one can touch you for it. Look around, there are a few already 'at it'! That is the more simple route.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Public Domain (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL