The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I have a situation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Hello everyone,

I have a friend whose mom hosts a neighborhood party every year. My friend talked to his mom and they asked me to perform at this years party. My problem is that I don't know if they planned on paying me or not. They did not ask me what I would charge and they didn't imply in any way that I would even get paid at all. I was wondering how I could casually let them know what I charge and that I would be charging. Also I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before and how they handled it.

Thanks in advance

Shane
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
One way to approach it might be to ask what the budget is so that you know how long to perform/which effects to do. That way it looks like you're asking to be helpful and not asking just because, dang it, you expect to be paid (not that there's anything wrong with that).

--Dale.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Do what Dale wrote.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
If you work for friends, you accept the risk that you may lose either friends or money or both.

If others are paid to be at this party (bounce house, cotton candy machine, face painter, whatever) and you are unpaid, then you're being fleeced. Asking for pay commensurate with what others are getting makes you look you're doing the fleecing ("But I thought we were FRIENDS! How could you CHARGE me for this?"). If nobody's getting paid for their efforts, then it's a coin toss, IMO.

FWIW, proceed with caution.

Leland
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
That's a tricky one. In the future it might be better to establish that you expect to be paid up front. For example:

Friend: Hey my mom is throwing her yearly party and we were wondering if you could perform.

You: I would love too, and being that we're friends I'll give you guys a good discount on my usual performance fee.

I think if you approached things like that from the beginning you've got two benefits:

#1 - They know you expect to be paid.

#2 - You're being a great friend by giving them a discount.

If they say something about them expecting you to do it for free, then at least you know where they stand, and you can go from there.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 14:16, lowphat wrote:
That's a tricky one. In the future it might be better to establish that you expect to be paid up front. For example:

Friend: Hey my mom is throwing her yearly party and we were wondering if you could perform.

You: I would love too, and being that we're friends I'll give you guys a good discount on my usual performance fee.

I think if you approached things like that from the beginning you've got two benefits:

#1 - They know you expect to be paid.

#2 - You're being a great friend by giving them a discount.

If they say something about them expecting you to do it for free, then at least you know where they stand, and you can go from there.

Yes, very well said!
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 02:09, sjballa147 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My friend talked to his mom and they asked me to perform at this years party. My problem is that I don't know if they planned on paying me or not. They did not ask me what I would charge and they didn't imply in any way that I would even get paid at all. I was wondering how I could casually let them know what I charge and that I would be charging. Also I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before and how they handled it.

Your problem is you're not making it clear you are for hire. Leave them out of it.

You said: "They did not ask me what I would charge and they didn't imply in any way that I would even get paid at all."

Did they fail to ask this while you wore a hat stating your hourly fee?

Your problem does not sound like one coming from someone who knows what they are doing or one who deserves to even be paid.

Please, you sound like an expensive performance artist being put to work by friends and family for nothing which is what I think you should be paid.

Make up your mind what you will or won't do for something or nothing. Currently you've communicated that you'll work - period.
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Randy,

not sure if you're intending it or not, but your post is coming across pretty harsh. For someone who is still in High School, he's probably just beginning to make money, and no one said he was going to charge 500.00 for the party. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I don't know of anybody who automatically had it all figured out.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I believe my friend Randy intended to be harsh, after all we are talking about money. When you provide a service everyone takes for granted that they can get it free. If you ask for money now you will both loose a friend, and be talked about like you were a dog, so do the job for free, tell them to keep it a secret, and never let it happen again.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I do agree, that to ask for money now would almost be unheard of. If agreed to perform, then perform and hope for the best expecting the worst -- zero.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Well he can gain experience and you shouldn't turn your nose up to that. Never underestimate the most wonderful of souls effort to get something for nothing.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Do your show and pass the hat in the time honored tradition of street performers for hundreds of years!

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
...and if you didn’t get anything in the hat, it would at least let them know that some do get paid.

Tom
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
You missed a point - "My Mom's having a party and wants to know if you would do some magic..."

Answer - "Sure! Put her on the phone and we can discuss the details!"

Here's why - your friend may be asking you to perform because HE (or she) wants you to, NOT because the MOM does. I've had this happen and, when I showed up, I was greeted with a blank stare and a "Hi! Welcome to the party - and you are...?" BY THE MOM!

And that is NOT a scenario that you want to have happen - or worse, if the Mom knows you and you start performing and she gets mad because you are performing and she "only wants professional entertainment" at HER parts...

Well, you can see the possible problems, so always talk to the principle person who is responsible for the event.

I learned this one the hard way, so maybe I can save someone else from taking the same metaphorical lumps to their ego - and professional credibility...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Good point Lee. I don't know how I missed it.

We usually learn these lessons the hard way. I've always said, if I could just sell my experience for what it cost me, I'd be a wealthy man!

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Thanks for all the comments I believe I will just do it for free since its a friend but I will make sure they know I don't do it often and to keep it a secret. I have already talked to the mother and we got everything worked out.

Thanks

Shane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I have a situation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL