The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Database program specifically for magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Hi guys,

Just wondering, if I were to develop database program for magicians what would be the features that YOU would definately want in such software? I appreciate your feedback I am toying with the idea of working on such project,but instead of guessing I though I would just ask... ALL of your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks again!
J.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Let's see...We'll get the ball rolling here:

* Customer, peer and vendor databases, of course.
* A contact management component for tracking communications.
* An integrated calendar and scheduling component.
* An appointment reminder system.
* Ability to integrate with Blackberrys or other PDAs.
* Ability to automate certain math & record functions within the DB.
* Market product inventory management databases.
* A library and equipment inventory including date of purchase & cost for insurance and tax purposes.
* The ability to generate custom & form contracts, letters, cards and such.
* The ability to automate certain functions: For example, when you book a party the system should instantly add a contract, confirmation letter, thank you letter or whatever the magi desires with all necessary merged data to the printing que...with the ability to modify these letters before printing, if necessary. It should also automate certain log and record entries.
* An integrated accounting package for basic bookkeeping & tax records.
* A mileage & fuel tracker for taxes and expense management.
* Databases and interfaces should be somewhat and easily customizable to fit individual needs & goals. We all operate a bit differently.
* Interfaces must be logical, user friendly and, basically, idiot-proof for users like me. I prefer programs that you can open and begin using right away because they are so simple, logical and well structured.
* No single function, process or feature is more than two screens or mouse clicks away. I hate having to weave my way through a jungle of screens and menus to find something. Relates to websites, as well.
* Functional on MAC, Linux or Windows machines.
* Compatible with all printers and Adobe PDF.

Don't want much, do I? Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Jamesbond,

Will this be different from the "MagicBase" software?

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Errrrr....what Skip said.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Thanks Skip,

Some of the stuff I already had in mind... (out of the 17 things you mentioned we had in mind to implement 12 maybe 13 of them) THANKS!!!! I will keep you updated...

Sal-
The biggest difference compare to any of the databases out there is that this will actually folllow the logical "flow" of any magic office - so far this is something that I have missed in any contact management program (the ones on the market always felt like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole):

1. you get a call/e-mail inquiring about your services
2. you send a quote (e-mail or fax) and
3A) they want to book you (send the contract at a click of a button)
3B) or not (keep their info for reselling them in the future)
That's in a nut shell the basics of our business - right?
==============================
4. GET REPEAT BOOKINGS OR REFERRALS- The biggest thing for any business is to create repeat business/referrals (otherwise why the heck would you even bother to put them in a database, right?) so we are leaning heavily towards the marketing side - features that will help you to get more bookings and referrals... I will let you know when we are ready to release something to the magic community. In the meantime if you have any database "wishes" please let me know I am open to any tips and suggestions...

THANKS!

Bond... James Bond
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Bill, you rascal! We really need to team up ala Abbott & Costello...although in our case I suspect it would be more Costello & Costello. It's frightening how alike we think!

I've tried MagicBase...and it's a good basic program for a basic birthday magician or entertainer. I felt it was a complicated program to use and not altogether user friendly. Still, for the price and what it offered, it's well worth looking into.

Ralph the Great had an INCREDIBLE software package for the MAC that did everything I listed above...and at a very reasonable price. Very user friendly and customizable.

Lord knows, we need something.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Thanks Skip,

I LOVE Macs (I own 2 of them) - the sad, but true fact is that only 5-7 % people actually own them. In our line of business it might be bit higher but the PC owners are the true "movers and shakers" in any software market...
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Mac user weighing in here. I haven't seen Ralph's program yet, but from what everyone has been saying it's better than MagicBase which I do own, and agree is a little on the non-user friendly side. I got an email from Ralph about a month or two ago saying that he'd be releasing info on the database program soon. Haven't heard anything other than that though.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I'd kiss you on the head Skip if you'd just shave it like mine!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
What?!? And have people confusing BOTH of us with Barry Mitchell...Huh uh!! Smile

Low...Ralph's Mac program absolutely blows MagicBase out of the door!! (No offense, Bob!!) You should check into it. Someone call Ralph and tell him to log in here!!!

I nearly bought a Mac with this past purchase. My hands were on it and I was ready to pay and play...but I just couldn't break that Microsoft addiction. Lawdy he'p me! I'm a mainliner fer sure...and bought a Thinkpad. But...I'm scheduled for remedial therapy and should be MS free just in time for my next major purchase! Puuuuh-leeeeese!

Skip

James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Hello 007,

The most important thing for me is the ability to customize it.
I'd also need to be able to sync it with my PDA.

I'm pleased to see that you are asking for input - that's a good sign. I'd be happy to be a beta tester. I am currently using Goldmine 6.5 which I've been happy with apart from a few things which I don't have the time, energy or expertise to fix.

I've also played around with Maximizer, ACT and Filemaker (which is what Ralph the Great's system is built on).

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Best,
James
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
Steffan Soule has a software program.

Go here to take a look.

http://www.steffansoule.com/MagicOffice/

I have not tried it myself but am in the market for a system and liked the claims it made.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I simply use ACT application software. For me and my wife, it does everything I need it to and then some. It is totally customizeable to what I want and how I run my magic business. I can create data fields for anything I want to track in my database and I can edit that template at any time.

It also allows me to do mail merges directly from the software as well as run reports by the click of a button. It can and has managed all of my sales, tips and BOR income and can link to other programs currently used by many of us.

I certainly am not linked up with ACT nor do I get any money from them. I am simply a very satisfied customer for many years and I love what it does for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Kyle, I would agree that if you have a PC then ACT is the way to go.

Skip, I can't believe you didn't buy the Mac. I know it's hard making the switch from MS, but once you go Mac, you never go back!
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I've used Steffan Soule's program and it is undoubtedly the BEST out there...check it out. He developed it for himself over the years...it really is great once you learn it.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I actually own a MAC and a PC. I do my design work on a MAC but my other system is a PC since my wife only knows how to use the PC and I couldn't get her to go MAC if I tried. Oh wells, more for me to enjoy. lol

The answer really lies in several key points I would think.

1) How customizable do you need or want your database to be?
2) How much work do you want to put into it?

Answres to these simple questions can often tell you what direction to go in for software or applications. If you are like me, you want a program that is robust and allows for total creative freedom. If you feel you do not need something so elaborate or so detailed, then perhaps a smaller and simpler program is more to your liking. Only you will know the needs of your own magic business.

Kyle

PS: if anyone has any questions about ACT, I would be happy to answer them for you if it is of any help. My pleasure.
Kyle Peron

mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Where can you get ACT? How much will it cost me? will I beable to use with out a lot of database help?
mike
kidshowguy
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of kidshowguy
I spoke to Ralph tonite. After rolling his software out for Mac last year at KIDabra, he had so many requests for the PC version that he has worked on it for a year and plans to have it at available in 2 weeks at KIDabra. He has just moved to Las Vegas. You can e mail him questions at
ralph@ralphthegreat.com
Mark
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Hi Mike,

Let me try and answer the questions for you the best I can. For a lot of detailed information on ACT and pricing, you may want to go directly to their web page at http://www.act.com/

There you will find a lot of good information. You can also often times find a really good quality application of ACT on EBay for a fraction of the price. That is what I ended up doing and got a real nice buy on it.

No you do not have to be a programmer or even know about databases to run ACT or to use it. I knew nothing about databases and felt very comfortable with the program and how to use it and set up my own customized fields.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. My pleasure to do so.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Database program specifically for magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL