The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I did it in collaboration with my daughter, who played an array of comedy musical instruments (e.g. Swanee whistle for super slide) as the various odd things happened. Timing was difficult, though.

I've been thinking of doing something like Vanishing Bandanna - make a CD: "Congratulations on your purchase of this magic rope. Take the rope from the box ..." but then, things start to go wrong. Haven't really thought this through yet.
Jolyon Jenkins
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Whit Haydn's material might help you come up with a good presentation,
The Mongolian Pop Knot.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Working as a magic "Pirate" I send someone down below to get three pieces of rope to secure things at sea. Obviously, no one is going to please anyone with the third piece. And then, we are off to the races...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
Quote:
On 2006-08-23 22:10, Sammy the Kid wrote:
HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT TAKE PRACTICING TO GET THE ENDS SWITCH DOWN?!?!?! I have been working on this for the last 6 months and still don't feel comfortable doing this move, the most basic move in the routine. I can't get past the feeling that it is just so obvious. When Richard Sanders does it, it's not obvious. Any tips? PLEASE?!?!

I would suggest you try the second "Ends Switch" he teaches later on in the DVD (Lickety-Split Ends Switch) for any of the moves that do not require the ropes to be linked together. I find it easier and more natural than having to unlink the ropes as your bringing the ends across. For moves that require the pieces to be linked, you would use the first "ends switch", but only half the move, so it's much easier.
Good luck. I am presently working on the Super Slide portion of the routine.

Larry
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
"...Has anyone come up with an interesting/funny story you tell while performing your Fiber Optics moves?..."
I ask the question "What must it be like to be a magician's rope? - Would it be more fun to be the little, medium, or big one?"
I then explain that it probably would not matter, as you get made all the same anyway. Then there is all the cutting, etc., etc., that you would probably want to "get your own back" by making your ends fall of etc., etc.
I know there's more than a few people out there who do not like the idea of giving inanimate objects a "personality", but it works for me.
Bruce
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bruce,
It is not a routine. It is 22 eye-popping moves. The routine is up to you.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I DID IT!!!!! I performed the one rope routine with my own personality today at a street festival. The first set, I was a little nervous until the spectators' jaws collectively hit the floor. Nine total sets (each one 20 to 30 minutes), and I'm never letting this routine out of my act. I did use the Lickety Split ends switch from the bonus move section, as it seems a better fit for me. Patter-wise, my entire act is a "teaching" session, and I go into the importance of caring for your magic rope and some of the things magic rope can do if left to its own devices. My restorations are the solutions to the rope acting up.

Sammy the Kid
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Sammy, congrats.

I use the moves as part of my routine as a Magic Pirate...the rope things fits.

I can't believe the reaction I get when the "Middle" comes off the rope..

I love it.

I also tell people that sometimes magic doesn't require a huge, big illusion or a lot of money ... just a little rope and voila....

I love the rope. It is too much fun from an old classic.

Congrats on popping your shows.

Hopefully with Fat hats...
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Hats off to Mr. Sanders for a great DVD.... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I'm going to a Richard Sanders lecture tomorrow night, and boy am I excited.
Al Angello
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Al,

I'm jealous. Smile Hope you have a great time, and maybe you can come back here and tell us about the experience.

Regards, Steve
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Steve,
I have watched the Fiber Optics DVD for over a year now, and last night I learned a lot of subtleties from Richard which made it a fun night for me. And Richard is very aware of the similarities between Fiber Optics and Full Circle. (although similar they are both original, and distinctly different routines). His easy to do card tricks really surprised me, and I'm no card shark, so easy card tricks is what I can do.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Last night, I did an adult party for a group of academics... very reserved and ****ytical bunch.

But, one of the most amazing reactions of the night is when I pulled the middle off of the rope in the rope routine.

I love the material in the Fiber Optics DVD. For those who like to slam ropes, you are missing some powerful stuff. For those doing it, if you haven't looked at the moves on Fiber Optics, they are well worth a look.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Now, that's funny. The auto-censor doesn't like the first two syllables of a n a l y t I c a l. Sometimes, entertainment comes in the strangest deep and dark places!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-10-15 13:15, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Now, that's funny. The auto-censor doesn't like the first two syllables of a n a l y t I c a l. Sometimes, entertainment comes in the strangest deep and dark places!

John

I noticed the same thing. From time to time, you'll see words with **** for no apparent reason.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Saw Richard Sanders at a lecture this past Friday, myself. Seeing him live, his DVDs don't do him justice. Like Al, some of his little subtleties really helped me out. I was pleasantly surprised how great his simple card effects are. He had so much great material to work some of his effects into my routines. Of course, I'll apply my own style, but so many of Richard's effects scream "keep it simple and perform your butt off!"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Auto-censor? Or did the poster just drop **** from "****ytical bunch"? I'll see after this message gets posted.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Wow, the a n a l did get removed from my post! I didn't know there was an automated system for doing this.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Wow -- this is a great DVD.

I too am still working on the "ends switch" move but have found that the Lickety Split move is MUCH easier. The problem area for me in the main move is pushing the loop off of the rope.

Great routine!

Kevin
Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Agent86
I do this routine for my walk around in restaurants, it is fantastic. I think the trick here is to run the routine or the bits you're learning continuously for hours a day. The end switch took me all of 10 minutes to perfect. Probably because I had done it before years earlier. The only real issue I had was the visual traveling end, but it just took some finesse and knack to get it down. When all is said and done, this routine kills!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL