The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » cups and balls: Aluminium vs Brass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
Hi guys is there much difference between aluminium and brass cups and balls? The aluminum ones are cheaper so I was wondering if maybe they're not as good as investing in brass cups and balls.

Thanks in advance,
Maxim.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
For the street in my opinion Copper is actually your best bet. It wears better than brass. The aluminum cups are really a bit light for street work and can actually be blown over in a stiff breeze.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Also, the aluminum will eventualy get a black,dirty looking tarnish that rubs off in your hands making them look dirty too.

Danny's right on the weight, and brass looks bad when tarnished, but the copper gets a very nice looking "heirloom" tarnish that makes them look very old.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Max,

I've got an aluminum Morrisey cups-and-chop-cup combo, and they work great! With them I learned a couple of simple routines and some bits of business. I also learned that they are too light from me and they don't have the load capacity I'm looking for, but I'm not giving them up -- I've got a venue or two where they may work just fine.

Listen to Dan. You'll be happy with the weight and look of copper cups. In my younger days I polished a lot of brass, and polished brass looks cool, but unless you're willing to polish the cups daily, I'd pass on brass.

YMMV

Joe in KC
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Shiny cups just don't seem right to me. The balls are the heroes of the trick, and the dark lustre of copper cups with a great "ancient" patina show the balls off the best.

The heavy copper cups make the noise that draws a crowd, but then sit in the background for the balls to have all the attention.

Part of the problem with aluminum cups is that they just don't make as much noise, and the noise they make isn't very attractive. Copper cups have a rich and pleasant heavy sound.
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
The pros use copper. I'd stick with copper.
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
I would agree with copper or brass over alluminum. I'm using brass cups which are heavy and beautiful, but I don't think I'd be happy if they smacked the street. My normal conditions are still a little controlled. I might want something else for pure street performance.

Cups with weight to them add some authority to your moves-- and they look more interesting.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
Being a young man on a tight budget, are there any good, low priced copper cups out there to get me started.

I have come across the Bosco copper cups, big size, and under $80. What do you all think. the link is below.
http://www.harriesmagic.com/engelsk/katalog.html#cups
Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
Copper it is!

kasper777, there are some copper cups on http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk for £30, that's about $50. Dunno if this is a good price or not.

Maxim.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Kasper,

I just recieved the Bosco cups, the total bill was $96 US, which includes the shipping to KC. It took about two weeks for them to arrive.

Payne and Danny recommended the cups to me on the "Cups & Balls Advice" thread when I was searching for new and better cups. I'm glad they steered me away from the more expensive Phoenix cups, not that Phoenix cups are bad cups, but the Boscos are going to be great for me and my show -- I perform at Renaissance Festivals, and they have a very good period look, they sound great, and they fit my hand well.

Being an old man and burning my way through my yearly magic budget at an incredible pace, I also have a set of Pete Biro Galli Galli cups on order and am expecting them by the end of the week. I can't wait to compare the two sets.

Whatever you do, go with the copper, Whit's right, they just sound so much cleaner ... think of the difference of a bell or gong compared to a pair of empty soup cans banging together.

That's my two cents. YMMV

Joe in KC
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I picked up a BEAUTIFUL set of copper cups just recently. They look exactly like Paul Fox cups and they're very well made. They aren't the cheapest cups but I like the way they tarnish as opposed to my Johnson brass cups. Take a look here:

http://www.jesmagic.com/
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I think the Bosco cups are a good idea in the under $100 range. If you are really tight on cash, e-mail themagicwarehouse. Its not on the site, but Howard will sell you the large Morrisey coppers for $39 + shipping. Import copper for $35. Neither will be as heavy as the more expensive ones
but are very servicable, and great for practice.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » cups and balls: Aluminium vs Brass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL