The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Idea for Street Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Hi there,

I think this is my first post in this forum so let me just get you up to speed. I'm a children's entertainer at the moment, but this is more for me to get as much experience as I can. I've done a lot of other comedy type performing in the past but have never had the guts to venture out in to the street.

I have good improvisational skills, and am quite capable of dealing with unexpected situations in performing situations (I hope!). This idea isn't just a lazy man's way of avoiding these things, more of an odd thought I had.

I like the idea of making an audio recording that will in effect do all the talking for me. Not like ventriloquism, more of a announcer. Kind of in the style of those really old voice-overs you here in black and white documentaries.

"Look as the magician finds your card. Whoops! It's the wrong one. Whatever will he do?"

Obviously you would have to involve a lot more mime and physicality into your show, and it of course prevents you from speaking during it.

It could also be an interesting way of drawing a crowd.

"Hey you, in the ugly pants. Yes, you know I'm talking to you."

Anyway, this is just the beginnings of an idea, but I thought I'd get some input first in case you guys thought it was total garbage.

Cheers,
Adam V
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
tyrone-the-red
View Profile
New user
U.K
19 Posts

Profile of tyrone-the-red
I think its original and I would watch it, but I would be careful that the audio backing supports what you are performing so it doesn't steal your thunder. Also timing and practise would be essential otherwise if you get out of synch you would have to drop bits, stop'n'start or even have to start again. In which case your audience would eat you alive!!!
Sounds interesting man! Contemperary meets classic.
T Smile
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I love it! You could also do bad kung for movie style. Mouth starts moving"oh! so you think your magic is good?! hn?!" mouth still moving. Mouth stops "I will use my sho lyn cups and balls! HN!" mouth makes quick movement. Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Alchemist
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Alchemist
It's a great idea but the timing would certainly be critical. One small situation with the crowd would completly throw you off. Maybe some type of remote device to allow you more control is called for.

Good Luck!
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I was thinking the same thing, a set piece of audio would all but eliminate any interaction with your audience.

Poke, your bad kung fu audio track idea is killer funny. I like it.

Now, if you recorded your bits on a CD and had a remote switch to cue up the sound bites to play with your effects, then you would be on to something.

On one of the threads here recently, ie, this date, Danny Hustle described a PA system and wireless mic that you could incorporate.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Have fun playing in the street!

Joe in KC
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
Give it a shot. My first thought is it would cut down on the spontinaity, which is one of the charms of working the street. On the other hand, nothing shows whether an idea will work or not than trying it. There is nothing worse than editing an idea before it has a chance to live or die on its own. You may be on to something great.
Best of luck.
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Thanks for your comments.

I like the idea of having the recording broken up into segments which I can control at will.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Adam V,
Sounds like a great idea; I've never seen or heard of anything like it before.
And I like Alchemist's idea of a remote-control switch "just in case" (because "just in case" is sure to happen!)
Go for it!
Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
How about setting it to music instead of a voice over?

You would then have an act that was great in any language. You could play it anywhere in the world.

I think your original idea is fantastic as well, I was just tossing out some other ideas.

Best,

Dan-

You know, stupid me didn't even think that if it is all voice over anyway, it probably wouldn't be too hard to get someone else to translate it.

On the other hand a great Commedian named Eddie Izzard learned his whole act in french and took it France and it bombed. The jokes didn't translate as funny.

A great story he tells is about imitating Sean Connery in french. Sean Connery's films are dubbed from english to French by some other guy that does the voice overs so the audience had no idea what Sean Connery's voice actually sounded like in the first place. Eddie was doing it dead on but they had no idea! That cracked me up.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
tyrone-the-red
View Profile
New user
U.K
19 Posts

Profile of tyrone-the-red
Eddie Izzard is a genius! He inspired a magician friend of mine to learn pick a card in 8 languages!
T Smile
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Eddie is the greatest! Probably made the worst hats of any busker to ever work C. Gardens but he has more than made up for it at this point. He is the man responsible for my Jammy Dodger addiction though, the bugger!

I only wish he were bigger here in the States. He is without a doubt the funniest transvestite on the planet.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Eddie is fantastic. I never realised he did street work.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Eddie used to busk Covent Garden, London. when he was at university. According to legend he had a partner. They used to do a bit where Eddie wore some kind of helmet and his partner would shoot arrows at him. It was comedy and fairly funny but it wasn't very good for street work and they never made much money.

The first time I saw Eddie I had no idea who he was. In the middle of the show he started working the audience in a way that was pure street. I said to the girl I was with, "He was a busker wasn't he."

She said, "How could you possibly know that."

I said, "It takes one to know one."

After a bit of research it proved to be true. He was very good at working an edge.

He was storming the entire length of the stage and casually riffing with the audience. The way he did it was pure street. Vey different from the way commedy club guys approach the audience. I really can't explain it.

He does it on one of his videos as well. Not 'dressed to kill' though I can't remember which one.

Yeah, well, anyway. That's Eddie's busking story.

Best,

Dan-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Idea for Street Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL