The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Aging a Deck of cards (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
I know Ellusionist is marketing one, but I was a little disappointed with them. Does anyone have any suggestions for quickly "aging" a deck of cards? I want to create a routine about how I inherited this strange deck of cards from a relative, and wow, doesn't it do the strangest things....
Chris
Moth
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Moth
Tell you what - the first (and only) time I had to prep a deck for someone else, I was told to take a metal straight edge and "scrape" the card in all directions, front and back - and then leave the deck under something heavy to flatten them back down.

I didn't have a nice straigh edge, so I used a rather sharp and slightly askew metal plate - like what you could put over your light switch on the wall, or over an outlet.

It actually pulled the ink off the cards (these were bikes) and made them look very very old and worn. but they still handled well.

It wasn't quick, but they had a "been lost at sea and locked in a trunk" look about them. I bet if I had colored down the edges they would have looked older..

Just a thought!
(can you tell I'm not a card person?)
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
If you're really ambitious, you can try putting a deck (spread out and flip-flopped and mixed up terribly) in a clear plastic tub and let it sit in the sun for a few days... shake it up, and let it sit a while longer... then put it in a card press overnight in the freezer in a frost-free plastic baggie. Smile
Again, not fast... but effective.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Have you thought about buying a vintage deck on Ebay and seeing if they can be "revived" (fanning powder, card press, etc.)? Perhaps something with a back design (or faces) that decidedly dates them? This would give you a deck that doesn't look like a worn-out deck of new cards.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
Michael has a good idea here. I looked on Ebay under "vintage cards" and found a lot of hits.

I believe Bicycle also released a series of vintage backed cards from years past. They are new, but could be aged, and the unusual backs/fronts might help.

J
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Ok kids the aged cards on elusionist are not going to look very aged because they where in fact just made. so you know those cards you have that fell behind the dresser? yeah you know the ones you and your buds played fish with? Guess what! them's the ones to use.
Now if you need period cards email Historic Williamsburg or museum replicas and buy a deck.
Moth describes part of the correct way to prep cards for manipulation. here is the full method.
take a NEW deck of cards of good quality and then do the following to them.
first use a wooden ruler with a metal edge "the kind they sell at the five and dime" and scrape them on both sides in several directions on both sides. this is best done by pulling them past the edge of the ruler pressed against the edge of a table. Tis will roughen the surface of the cards on both the face and the back.
Second take the cards and place them in a plastic bag along with some fanning powder. shake vigorously to coat the cards completely. Then once all the cards are treated, stack the cards into a deck. they will not sit flat at this point. and stack them in a card press. Press the cards for several days untill flat once again.
then you take the cards put of the press you will want to blow through them just to remove eccess powder.
then store in a dry place. your cards are now prepped for manipulation and will perform well for a long time for you.
This method is demonstrated by Jeff McBride on one of his Videos so if you want a Visual get Jeff's tape and follow the instructions of the master.
If you want a paper product to have that pirates of the carribean look use a weak solution black tew and a colth to stain the paper. to create a burnt edge that will not get your fingers black every time you touch them tear the edges then stain them with a strong solution of black tea.
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
Here is a link to one possible ageing method but they might not handle too well afterwards:

http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/artsandcrafts.htm

Ian
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
You might have a look in the bizarre magic section, they often age props for their performance.
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 20:52, cboscari wrote:
I know Ellusionist is marketing one, but I was a little disappointed with them. Does anyone have any suggestions for quickly "aging" a deck of cards? I want to create a routine about how I inherited this strange deck of cards from a relative, and wow, doesn't it do the strangest things....
Chris

Thanks everyone for the help!
Chris
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I bought a few Parnell Faro decks from http://www.parcards.com

I lightly soaked them in various liquids to learn that coffee worked the best. I then pressed them dry again with a household iron. At this point my wife thought I was totally nuts.

Even then there wasn't enough staining so I went to my local magic supply store (Michael's Craft store) and found some paper antiquing ink in the scrapbooking section. The traditional choice is "walnut ink" but I found it was too brown, so I ended up with a premixed solution called "Antique Linen" that worked beautifully. It came with what looked like an ink pad, so I dabbed each card front, back, and edges with the pad, following up with dabbing each card with a wet paper towel to help the ink spread so it wasn't so blotchy. After another session with the iron, I had some beautifully aged cards that were nearly totally unusable for any modern sleights.

But they sure do look old!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 13:58, Dave VanVranken wrote:
I bought a few Parnell Faro decks from http://www.parcards.com

I lightly soaked them in various liquids to learn that coffee worked the best. I then pressed them dry again with a household iron. At this point my wife thought I was totally nuts.

Even then there wasn't enough staining so I went to my local magic supply store (Michael's Craft store) and found some paper antiquing ink in the scrapbooking section. The traditional choice is "walnut ink" but I found it was too brown, so I ended up with a premixed solution called "Antique Linen" that worked beautifully. It came with what looked like an ink pad, so I dabbed each card front, back, and edges with the pad, following up with dabbing each card with a wet paper towel to help the ink spread so it wasn't so blotchy. After another session with the iron, I had some beautifully aged cards that were nearly totally unusable for any modern sleights.

But they sure do look old!

By the time you finished all that work, they WERE old!! LOL
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Here in Dixie we try not to under estimate the value of hot days and iced tea.

Soak paper towels in tea. Spread the cards (separately) face down on top of the wet paper towel. Put another paper towel wet with tea on top. Air dry. (Don't use sweetener!) If it's not dark enough, spray the paper towels again.

Don't stack wet cards!

It is also a great way to age treasure maps etc.

Good luck!

Col. Sanders

PS --- Drink the rest of the iced tea and sit and watch the shade move!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Col Sanders has the best "solution" But I thought they only had sweet tea down your way:)
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 20:52, cboscari wrote:
I know Ellusionist is marketing one, but I was a little disappointed with them.

hey I save my time and order from Ellsusionist.com

and YES the yare sucks....at that time The Vinatge 1800 is SOLD OUT so I email, ask for their Notification when The Vintage 1800 will be available again....its been month still no reply

so I go to their site and they already selling them.......

I need the Old Deck...so I order from them anyway....
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
Try coffee, it stains more...
spray, let it dry under sunlight, then leave it overnight in a porper card clip:)

that's what I did
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Thanks for the tips, gents.

Here’s one of two, newer videos I found on this matter:

https://youtu.be/YJy-Ppkt7wI

AtPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
I left a deck and a colored candle in my trunk on accident once. The deck is now beautifully aged as the oils from the candle soaked through the pack in a very random fashion and stained it a lovely old brownish color.
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
Not completely on topic but I wonder...
why do so many people use the patter: I inhereted this box/deck of cards/wand/... from my grandfather
it seems to me the most cliché, thin storyline you can come up with.
just a thought
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Aging a Deck of cards (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL