The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite Osterlind Material (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
A good friend told me about the Osterlind Breakthrough Card System. I'm terrible at math and a bit dyslexic. But, I got the booklet. It was written so well and clear, I understood it with an hour. Richard also give shorcuts so you get the card very fast. The system made so much sense.

Well...I was killing with the OBCS ( as my friend said I would be ) and I bought the DVD ( #2 from Mind Mysteries ) and really loved Richard's performing style. So... I started to get other Osterlind material just out of curiosity.

KILLER material. And, Richard gives advice on performing that adds a special something that elevates the impact of the effects on an audience.

RUN to his site if you aren't familair with his work:
http://osterlindstore.com/catalog
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
Osterlind's stuff is the best! Everything is pretty much top drawer! Really like the magazine test, steel blindfold and radar deck.
ecunited
View Profile
New user
New York (Ok, New Jersey)
67 Posts

Profile of ecunited
Well, there's so many great effects already mentioned that I could call my favorite (I'd probably go with the BCS and several of his routines).

But one simple, impromptu effect I do again and again is his Post-It tear/restore.

First off, there's always a post-it around, so there's always an occasion to do it.

Secondly, I am someone who is not adept at card sleights, so card tear/restores are out for me. Utilizing this effect with Post-Its put tear/restore in my repatoire (sp?).

Finally, I've added my own spiel about there being small threads of metal in the Post-it paper, so when I put a lighter to the Post-It, I say that instead of burning the paper I'm effectively welding the paper back together.
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
For me, anything Richard puts out is a favorite. However his No Camera Tricks has to be up there. I learn as much from the way he presents to the audience as his explanations. He is the consummate professional.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Once again, you guys just make my day! Thank you.

Richard
Mik
View Profile
Regular user
Luton UK now Seattle US
189 Posts

Profile of Mik
I have the ETMMM DVD set as well as the metal bending DVD and ODDS and just really enjoy it, Richard comes a cross as a great teacher and I listen when he imparts his "real secrets" pearls of wisdom.
From the mind of Mik
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
Richard,

I just read your post from November. That's some very sound advice and thanks for sharing for sharing your personal experiences!

Jason.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Jason,

Thanks for your response. Let me add to that post.

If you study great (really great!) magicians from the past, either through recorded videos or printed material, you will see that every one of them put the performance first and the performer second. Although any entertainer must have a strong ego to survive, the energy of that ego should be directed to one's own drive to produce the best material he/she is capable of. Since part of the "nature" of any performance piece should be audience satisfaction (and that is a very big part) it is common sense where the primary focus should be directed.

There is a reason some magicians become legends. Study them and how they interacted with their audiences and you can't help but succeed.

Richard
Mik
View Profile
Regular user
Luton UK now Seattle US
189 Posts

Profile of Mik
Richard, which of the great magicians are your favorites?
From the mind of Mik
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
Well...I was killing with the OBCS ( as my friend said I would be ) and I bought the DVD ( #2 from Mind Mysteries ) and really loved Richard's performing style.

This was the DVD that got me interested in magic in December 2005. A hobbyist showed me a couple effects with the BCS and lent me the DVD - and the rest is history for me.

BTW, I notice the real excitable dude in the crowd of Mind Mysteries 2 with blond mustache and mullet is seemingly in the crowd of every majic DVD taping. Anyone know the story with him? And how he can be everywhere?

Dave
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-03-31 22:04, smordant wrote:

Max Malini, Nate Leipzig, Dunninger, Blackstone, Henning, Tarbell, Devant and on and on!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2008-04-02 15:56, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-31 22:04, smordant wrote:

Max Malini, Nate Leipzig, Dunninger, Blackstone, Henning, Tarbell, Devant and on and on!

You forgot Christopher Sarantakos.

*jeep!
--Genial Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Mik
View Profile
Regular user
Luton UK now Seattle US
189 Posts

Profile of Mik
I plan on getting Paul Daniels' DVD of his show on Max Malini. Thanks for answering Richard.
From the mind of Mik
iambest
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of iambest
BCS absolutely amazing invention. It even inspired me to memorize a stack.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
BCS absolutely amazing invention. It even inspired me to memorize a stack.

Intersting - I am the opposite. With the BCS learned early on in my interest in magic, I've never considered memorizing a stack.

Dave
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
PeterMik
View Profile
New user
Denmark
50 Posts

Profile of PeterMik
My vote: BCS - Almost always with me after I took the 1 hour to learn it.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Ive been eyeing the Ultra Board for some time now, can't wait to buy it!

Paul h.
Mik
View Profile
Regular user
Luton UK now Seattle US
189 Posts

Profile of Mik
Paul I've been eyeing that too, but I think my next item is the BCS. I am wearing out the DVD set of Richard's I recently got.
From the mind of Mik
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Relax...take a deep breath...close your eyes...and listen carefully....Do not buy Volume 2 of Osterlind's Mind Mysteries...do not buy Volume 2 of Osterlind's Mind Mysteries
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 10:15, Richard Osterlind wrote:

I am going to share something with you readers that I have never shared before. If you just get one thing from me, please get this.

There was a time, years ago, when everything I did was for the sake of Richard Osterlind. I wanted to do everything possible to make people believe I was the greatest mentalist of all time. When you have that kind of ego-driven attitude, you will fail, as I did. No one will like you and you will become morally bankrupt. It is only when you get back to loving your art, whatever that art form may be, and do everything you can to make it as perfect as you are capable of, that you will begin to get somewhere and people will start liking you.

Do not think PERFORMER, think PERFORMANCE. Do that and you will succeed.

Richard

Trust Richard to distill the essence of entertainment down to its simplest "prime number". And, as you watch Richard's performances, you see that that principle is manifest in everything he does. That piece of advice alone is worth more than the price of every video, book and effect he has ever released. Yet, for the love of the art, he passes it out for free.

Mike

P.S. Query: A "priceless freebie". How can that be?
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite Osterlind Material (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL