The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Anyone remember the Abe Lincoln stunt? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
I'm doing some research for a presentation I'd like to use, and it's based around one of my favorite cons. BUT, I can't find the specific ads anywhere. My dad told me about it when he was a kid. Perhaps longtime comic book readers or betcha collectors will know.

The idea is that an ad is placed for a "Copper bust of Abraham Lincoln." You pay, say five bucks. Six weeks later you get a package with...a penny. The mail scam is brilliant because you get what you were promised...but...yeah.

That's the scam. If anyone can tell me ANYTHING more about it, cite an actual ad, etc., I would be THRILLED.

Thanks!

Joshua Jay
http://www.joshuajay.com
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Actually, the penny would be an engraved relief portrait of Lincoln, but not a bust, which is a 3-d sculpture.

(so if anybody fell for this: you got ripped off, man! you should totally ask for your money back!)
RyanSwigert
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
87 Posts

Profile of RyanSwigert
I believe this scam was used in the movie "Trial and Error" from 1997.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ok so it’s not a bust (you are correct there) just advertise an

Quote:
engraved relief portrait of Lincoln

Just to "tweak" your definition. A bust is a 3D sculpture of the head and shoulders (not the shampoo!)
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Okay...but does anyone have a printed citation for it...I'm hoping to find one of those "classic" ads from the old magazines with this or something similar to it.

Thanks,

Josh
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
If you've been looking around you have probaly already seen this site. Not really helpful as far as the Lincoln thing. But it has some of those funny old ads like the ones for Americas favorite pets; Baby racoons.

http://www.steveconley.com/comicads.htm

I remember another classic mail in scam along these lines. The "Solar Powered Cloths Dryer" scam. The people send in for a solar powered clothes dryer and recieve a piece of rope and some clothes pins.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hi Vandy,

The clothing one was hilarious. I laughed out loud. It's not one I've heard before. Thanks so much! If only that could be turned into an effect.

Basically, to fill everyone in, I've been doing a five dollar bill to penny with patter along these lines for some time, but I'm looking to dress it up with an actual ad, partly for my own benefit and partly for more "color" in the routine. So...if anyone knows anything about just the kind of ads on the website, but for this particular scam, would love to know...

Josh
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yeah, I always thought the solar powered clothes dryer one was brilliant. Sorry I couldn't help with the Lincoln thing. Good luck with it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I wonder how the Lincoln would work as an auction. "I have a likenesses of Abe Lincoln here" (hold up a five dollar bill) "Who would like to start the bidding at one dollar? High bidder gets the bill, the next highest bidder gets another likeness at the same price." Auction off the bill and give it to the winner. The second person, seeing a good deal gives his money and gets a penny in return.

It might get around the "What's the catch?" that plagues many betchas.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
Maybe check in with Simon Lovell or Ricky ay on this...somes like it is up their alley. Other than that my only thought is scouring some microfilm of old papers. Like a needle in a hay stack...

Kevin
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
On 2007-07-26 12:54, Vandy Grift wrote:
If you've been looking around you have probably already seen this site. Not really helpful as far as the Lincoln thing. But it has some of those funny old ads like the ones for Americas favorite pets; Baby raccoons.

http://www.steveconley.com/comicads.htm

Off topic, but man, that was a great site. Did you see the Abracadabra Magic ad - more specifically, the drawing of the Asian gentleman doing the Chinese Sticks? Must have been drawn by a committee of Don Imus, Michael Richards, and Mel Gibson.

I want the one where sparks fly out of your eyes!

ETA: Still reading - I actually had the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang model! And all the Major Matt Mason stuff!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Josh,

Back in the early Sat Night Live days they did a take on this. They offered a Commemorative Lincoln Medallian. No print media on it though.

Cheers,

Tom
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I did a Google search for "Lincoln penny scam" and got this back;
http://www.orato.com/node/1286?PHPSESSID......9db2ea00

"I was ten years old the first time I got scammed. It wouldn't be the last, but at least I found something to laugh about in the experience. One of the oldest scams recorded in American history was a company that offered an engraved miniature portrait of Abraham Lincoln for just a dollar. Suckers who fell for it got a Lincoln penny in return. The post office closed down the fraud, but not before the perpetrator sold more than four thousand of these patriotic miniatures. The one I fell for was not as blatant, and actually wasn't even illegal. But it sure did hurt."

I remember reading about it happening recently.
hope that helps,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Last night on "The Real Hustle" (on BBC 3 free view in the UK) they set up a market stall and ran the "truth scam". (although they repeat stuff so often it could be a month old!)

They sold the following:

1) 100 Coat hangers, metal, won't tangle like the regular ones, and easy to use. (£3 per box)
2) 50 disposable cigarette lighters, easy to use guaranteed to light every time. £6 / box of 50
3) (My favourite) Classic model aeroplane, guaranteed to fly! You will make this in less than 3 hours and you can use the materials to make larger models. (£30)

All 3 presented in nice boxes with sticky label on the front. And all offered with a "100% - no money back guarantee!"

Honest and straight up all legit!

Fantastic! So funny and they made a shed load of money! If you post ideas I will confirm if you get the contents right or not.

Also they did a great betcha - "bet you can’t drink that shot down in 1 go without spilling it". Rules - not allowed to put another glass over it, it will be on the table (in the glass) - you have until the count of 5 to drink it (counting slowly of course). All the people round the table laughed and the guy paid up willingly - one of the best I have seen yet!
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
1) 100 Coat hangers, metal, won't tangle like the regular ones, and easy to use. (£3 per box)
2) 50 disposable cigarette lighters, easy to use guaranteed to light every time. £6 / box of 50
3) (My favourite) Classic model aeroplane, guaranteed to fly! You will make this in less than 3 hours and you can use the materials to make larger models. (£30)
If you post ideas I will confirm if you get the contents right or not.

I'm guessing #2 is a box of matches, and #3 is a sheet of paper. #1 . . . I dunno. Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Nails...... use your own hammer .....

but the NO MONEY BACK GARANTEE is my fave!
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
Oh man, I feel sorry for anyone that bought those... thanks for sharing Dave
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
It was on a oroigram called the real hussle and they ALWAYS give the money back adn get permission to show the footage first! so no one was scammed for real.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Anyone remember the Abe Lincoln stunt? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL