The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » coin sleight question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
In Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook" there's a silver and gold effect. At the end you have coins in your right hand and you are told to "sleeve the last coin."

I don't sleeve. I'm either wearing short-sleeve shirts or the sleeves are too tight.

Can anyone point me into a direction to vanish a single coin with your left hand while the right hand is busy holding other coins? Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I'd keep it simple:

Display the coins in your right hand to the people on your right. As you turn to your left to display the coins to the folks on that side, simply ditch the left-hand coin in your pocket. You have plenty of cover and misdirection to accomplish this unnoticed.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Sounds like good advice to me! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
580 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Hi Mandrake,

There are now gold coins on the market ready to be used with the Raven.

This could solve your problem.

The gold plated half dollars that we now have, really add class to your act.

Mago
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
You could use a gold colored "Hoo" coin. This is a coin with a short pin protruding at an angle from its backside. Even though a coin so maltreated is experiencing some pain, you can still unobtrusively hook it to your trousers.

Another method is to carry a reasonably powerful magnet in your left rear pants pocket. Then all you need is a coin that is attracted by a magnet. One possibility is the gold colored Canadian dollar. If you choose to do this, it is best not to stand too close to any large steel objects.
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Hey thats pretty funny! Imagine trying to ditch the coin only to realize that there is a whole bunch of metal objects stuck to your backside!! Smile Smile Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hi. For complete vanishes you might want to learn topit techniques (see the great stuff by Mike Ammar), or matting techniques as seen in my L&L tapes (DVD).There are also many feints to display coins in your hand, while secretly hiding an extra one, and although unorthodox, an old technique exists from Fred Bauman to ditch the coin in the belt area of your pants (I think it was called "magician's dream"). - Michael Rubinstein
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Wow. I don't believe I didn't finish this! I'm sorry.

I came up with an idea.

A bag filled with coins. About a dozen quarters and other coins mixed in.

Pour the bag out. "Don't worry, I'm not going to use all of them. I just like having extras."

Do the routine. As you drop the coins, one at a time, from your left hand, have your right hand drape over the pile of coins.
Don't DO anything, just let the audience get into the idea that that's where your right hand is going to be.

When you get to the last transfer. Start counting the six coins from your left hand. At about coin four or five, gently drop the "extra" coin onto the pile.

I've done it several times so far. It seems to work. Everybody is focused on those six coins coming out of the left hand!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good thinking, Ed. This is a twist on what is called the "One of Many" principle.

With a pile of coins on the table or tray/plate a single coin can be added or stolen with observers unawares because of the 'herd" principle and similarity of objects.

One of my favorites is to slide a couple of coins away from the herd to give them individual identity. Then, in the process of picking them up with the fingers,
one is slid back into the herd. I am now "one behind" in the count. Remember the quip,"

"The easiest coin to vanish is one that never was?" I use the SwayOn sleight be able to show a coin(s) in each hand -
later having an empty hand that is "known" to hold a coin. A perfect vanish can follow in a variety of ways.

You can get "one ahead" with the slide-pick process also if desired, or switch in a gaff coin.

Your using a drop for a false count is clever, though the noise might be a problem.

The key is that you established a pattern earlier that allows for psychological ploys like Predictive Vision and Continuity Bias.

Thanks for revising this thread as with Social Distancing, many performers may be looking for alternatives to "in their hand" approach.

Picking a coin(s) from a pile of coins may not be as ideal has having a spectator select one and hand it to you, but is better than pulling coins from the pocket.
Will they accept that the coins in the pile are natural and unprepared? That is matter of presence and trust and framing that has nothing to do with sleights Smile

write me ken@eversway.com about SwayOn if you wish
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Instead of a pile of coins on the table, you might want to consider David Roth's idea using the "bag", as seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us, and taught on the NYCMS DVD series.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
A magnetic holdout on the left or right rear pants pocket is much more powerful than you would imagine. You can also cover it with your arm/hand on that side, making it invisible, if angles are a worry for you. I Have been surprised by the miracles possible with this. Also that you can retrieve it very easily and nobody will suspect it.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Instead of a pile of coins on the table, you might want to consider David Roth's idea using the "bag", as seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us, and taught on the NYCMS DVD series.

I would only consider that if I had David Roth's "skillset!" I do not! (Just watched the video, Wow.) I was surprised to see we both had the same line; "I'm not going to use all of them." David can have his bag, I will keep my pile. Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » coin sleight question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL