The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Breakaway Wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Does anyone know how to make a break away wand?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Buy one--they're very cheap. You'll be able to figure out how to make one quite easily.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
David Ginn sells them for $7.00. Click here:
David Ginn's Website
then click on Props then Wands.

They are cheap enough. These are the India made ones, but I think Abbott makes a better one for aound 15 dollars.

The breakaway wand has always been a favorite amoung magicians entertaining kids. Even Adult shows can use a quick comic relief by using one.
Dennis Michael
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I have made a breakaway wand by cutting a dowel rod into 1 inch segments, then using my drill press to bore a hole through the middle of them, one by one. Then run a cord through all of the segments, tie it off with a knot, paint it to look like a wand and you've got one. However, after doing all this, I think they're inexpensive enough to just buy it rather than go to all that trouble! Good luck!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Viking Mfg. in Texas makes a really nice Break-away Wand for $15.00. It's a lot nicer than the cheaper version made in India.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I build many props, but I would buy this effect. For one thing, if you just drill dowels, that is still not as good as the one I have purchased that is made from plastic. There are not only the holes, but the pieces have little ends that fit into the piece in front, which makes it stay very rigid until released. Plain dowels and holes will tend to sag.
quack
gizmoetheclown
View Profile
New user
Iowa
7 Posts

Profile of gizmoetheclown
I have been using one of these for a few years, and wouldn't do a show without it. Nothing like having a brief diversion from the trick because your wand is broken. Ive actualy replaced the string in mine with a piece of elastic so it can be palmed and used as a makeshift appearing wand. I got the idea from a friend, who is blind, after observing his folding cane and how the elastic held it together tightly.
Body by Nabisco...a Waist is a terrible thing to mind
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I agree with jkvand. Breakaway wands are much too cheep to spend a lot of time making them. I have made two so I could have them in a certain color but they do not work as good as the bought one since there is no recess area for the pieces to go.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Breakaway Wand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL