The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Balancing a dancing cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
218 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Hi people,

Sorry if the topic has already been discussed, but the search function is off and I need the information so... here goes :-P

When building your own dancing cane, what it the important point to keep in mind for having a good balance when placing the gimmick? Is there a specific ratio for having an optimal up and down weight?

Thank you for your time,
-Louis-P-
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
About an inch from the center going up should be close to your balance point.

Bairefoot
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
218 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Thanks.

Also I suppose the perfect balance (weight) is only found through trial and errors?
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Nope.. as I told you in my PM.. I've made HUNDREDS of dancing canes.. and I haven't had a trial or error in years..
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
218 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Good news! I'm happy to know I won't be making myself a new flute...

(A pipe...with lots of holes... get it?....nevermind :-P )
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Makeup, How do you feel between balsa and regular?
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
What's regular?

When I was making my Ulitmate Dancing Canes, They were made from plastic.. the cane part was thin and hollow, and the knob and ferrule were custom molded polyurethane foam. When they were done.. they were about 2.5 ounces..

The standard Balsa Creekmore Cane is about 6 ounces, but it comes with a great carrying case!

I think the two part aluminum canes weighed in at about a lb. I also think they were a joke. You had to use BUTTON TH***D to hold the thing up!

I think the light up canes are ridiculous as well. People think that the flashing lights rationalize the darkness of the room to hide the T******D; but all it does is point out the method. Where's the magic in floating something in the DARK?
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Sorry, you're right,I meant standard plastic or regular wood not balsa. Your opinion?
Thank you.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The method I use for finding the best "balance" point for a dancing cane of any kind is to balance the cane on my outstretched forefingers. (Both hands are sort of assuming the "pointing" pose with the forefingers while the cane lies across them.) Then move the two forefingers toward each other slowly until they meet. They will meet at the balance point. This is a principle of physics that children sometimes learn when studying basic physics. HOWEVER... the spot on the cane is actually 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch _above_ the balance point--i.e. closer to the cap end. (If you used the exact balance point, the cane would tend to stay horizontal rather than on a diagonal with the cap at the top.)

Once the fingers meet, attach the thread and test it, moving the gimmick up or down till you get just the balance you need.

This is the method I use to make my Fantasio vanishing cane into a dancing cane. Send me a private message if you would like the URL for a QuickTime movie of my dancing cane routine.

Hope this helps.
----- Sonny Narvaez
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
There's some odd ideas for the Dancing Cane in my ebook "Snapshots".
Don't know if it is of interest, but...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=159&16
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Balancing a dancing cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL