The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
In a STAGE competition, is acceptable do a Mentalism Routine?
thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
For a bunch of magicians? I probably wouldn't do that. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Yes, it is acceptable. However, the judges will probably give you low points for technique and therefore you will have a hard time competing with for example manipulation.
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
I'd be tempted to say in response to that 'only if the judges were ignorant'.

It's certainly possible to demonstrate excellent technique in mentalism, but it's considerably less obvious than manipulation, which even those without an in-depth understanding of the methodologies involved can appreciate is technically skillful.

In answer to the question: yes, and my personal view is that it might make for a pleasant change.

*However* I consider mentalism one of the hardest branches of our art to carry off on stage. It needs an exceptionally strong personality. You need to consider if, in a competitive environment, this would be your wisest choice of material.

On the other hand, a competition can be a chance to deviate from normal material. If actually winning isn't too much of a concern, and it's more about the taking part - it might be worth giving it a go even if it might not normally be your 'thing', if you're feeling drawn to this.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
This is one of my pet peeves when it comes to competitions. Many competitions do not instruct the competitor in what they consider to be a close-up act, or a stage act.

I have seen a so called closeup act really be a parlor/stand-up act not a true closeup act. I have also seen what is definitely a parlor act being done as a Stage act, even some of them had closeup magic in them.

Judging is so subjective and very biased. I have seen acts that where much more entertaining that lost to an act that was was not as entertaining. Comedy magic will get you killed by certain judges as they feel that there was not enough skill or actual magic in the act. I could see the same bias when it comes to mentalism, depending on what type of mentalism is presented, especially if it was math based mentalism.

I have come to feel that winning is not the most important thing. The lessons learned thru competition is what will help you most in the long run.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
mental4u
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mental4u
James: You are right. There needs to be a clearer definition. I always consider the size of the audience in dictating what division of magic it is. 0-20 close up, 20-50 parlor, 50 -100 platform, 100+ stage. For years thimble,coin, and card manipulation acts have been considered stage acts. The reality is they have ZERO visibility on a large stage and should actually be considered parlor and in some cases close up. I think all most all thimble work is close up.

I have seen close up rooms that seat over 100 people. I feel sorry for the guy that does a real close up act, guaranteed 80% of the people will not have a clue as to what he is doing. A magician has to play the room, and that can make it difficult at a magic convention in which you are competing.

Gregg Lancaster
Mental Masterpieces
College Station, Texas
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
With the right conditions, it is okay.

Regards,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL