The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Questions from a non-mentalist. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kuis
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Kuis
Hello all,

I'm a student and need to write an article about mentalism and mentalists. I don't have much knowledge about this subject. I have the possibility to look some things up with google, but I would like to learn more out of "first hand" and hope I'm in the right place here. I wrote down a couple of questions and hope some of you are willing to help me out. Excuse for my poor English, but it's not my first language. Maybe these are stupid questions, but I hope not Smile Thanks in advance!

1) Can you give me a detailed description of what mentalism really is. I've read some different things about what is considered mentalism and what not.

2) Do you/mentalists consider mentalism as some sort of way of life/lifestyle? Is is the central point of your life or is it more of work/hobby kind of thing?

If it is indeed a way of life or lifestyle, can you give me a description how it affects your "normal life", other things and people in your life.

3) In what ways can mentalism be used? Is it just a form of entertainment or has it more purpopes/ can it be used in other ways than that?

4) Can anyone, with enough practice, become a mentalist or are some special talents/ powers a must? In other words, are you born a mentalist or do you become one?

5) In my country they aired a show to find "the new Uri Geller". As a result of that mentalism is some sort of a hype, or at least more popular than it was before. Do you think this benefits mentalism/ the reputation of mentalism in a positive way or do you think it has a negative effect?

6)Maybe this is a stupid question, but what are the positives and what are the negatives about being a mentalist if you compare it to other people, people who are not mentalists?

7)What do I, or anyone else, need to know about mentalism or mentalist, what is not publicly known?
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
My opinions,

1. Mentalism- a form of magic/entertainment in wich several thecniques combine to create the illusion of psychic ability.

2. For me it is. I think almost every part of the day of.

3. It can be used but the first is entertainment.

4. Anyone can become a mentalist with some habilities but you don't need powers.

5.It benefits if the mentalist that where in the show were good, and showed people what was mentalism.

6. its not stupid. With my experience almost everything is possitive except that people may think you know everything.

7. It is one of the hardest forms of entertainment, many people think it is easy because it doesn't need so mmany thecniques but you need a lot of showmanship.

Hope this helps
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
My take on the answers...

1) Can you give me a detailed description of what mentalism really is. I've read some different things about what is considered mentalism and what not..

Any time a performer shows you something that can be attributed to the power of the human mind -- this is in my opinion mentalism. Memorizing a complete deck of playing cards -- or being able to pursuade people through linguistics both fall into the category IMHO.

2) Do you/mentalists consider mentalism as some sort of way of life/lifestyle? Is is the central point of your life or is it more of work/hobby kind of thing?

Mentalism is central to MY life style -- I can't speak for others though. I think it HAS to be a very large section of your existance in order to fully understand it.

As for how it effects my life? As a mentalist you build a certain persona -- I believe that this eventually will bleed into every facet of your life. Just ask my wife Smile

3) In what ways can mentalism be used? Is it just a form of entertainment or has it more purpopes/ can it be used in other ways than that?

Mentalism can be used to elicit the deepest emotional response from people -- in fact this is they way it is BEST used. Mentalism should always be looked at as more than a form of entertainment in my mind -- it is an experience.

4) Can anyone, with enough practice, become a mentalist or are some special talents/ powers a must? In other words, are you born a mentalist or do you become one?

You are born a mentalist in my opinion. You need to possess something very important from day one in order to be succesful -- PERSONALITY.

5) In my country they aired a show to find "the new Uri Geller". As a result of that mentalism is some sort of a hype, or at least more popular than it was before. Do you think this benefits mentalism/ the reputation of mentalism in a positive way or do you think it has a negative effect?

The high tide carries all boats SUCCESS for ONE is SUCCESS for ALL.

6)Maybe this is a stupid question, but what are the positives and what are the negatives about being a mentalist if you compare it to other people, people who are not mentalists?

I really think that there are positives an negatives to any proffesion...

7)What do I, or anyone else, need to know about mentalism or mentalist, what is not publicly known?

I would tell you -- but then it WOULD be public knowledge now wouldn't it?

;)

Enjoy Writing a report on the most fascinating proffesion under the sun...

Jay
xxx
Kuis
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Kuis
Thanks a lot for the answers guys, really helpful! Hope some more people will reply to give their opinions, but for now this is already helping me a lot!

And if there's something important about mentalism or being a mentalist that is not covered in the questions, feel free to add!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
1) Can you give me a detailed description of what mentalism really is. I've read some different things about what is considered mentalism and what not.

Mentalism, as it pertains to the entertainment industry, is a branch of stage illusion where the performer uses hidden methodologies, arcane knowledge and developed skills in memory, suggestion, people-reading, etc., in order to create the illusion of extraordinary mental abilities.

Every person approaches this differently. Does everyone who plays the guitar look at music as a way of life? There are hobbyists, part-timer performers, amateurs who sometimes perform for money, and there are Professional performers. Some Professionals look at Mentalism as their job or profession. When they are not on stage, they aren't performing or trying to convince anyone of their abilities. Others are "on" 24/7.

If it is indeed a way of life or lifestyle, can you give me a description how it affects your "normal life", other things and people in your life.

For a professional performer, it is a lifestyle in that much of their lives are focused upon booking performances, travelling to engagements, working on new material for performance, etc. There can be attendant hazzards to life on the road, and for some it is difficult for their families to cope with. Wise performers manage to strike a balance between being a "performer" and being a Father/Husband/Mate/Neighbor/Citizen, etc.

Modern Mentalism is meant as a form of entertainment. Theatrical entertainment can have a number of social and spiritual functions and still stay within the context of honest theatrical entertainment.

No one is born a Mentalist. It takes work and study and experience. Is anyone a born violinist? While some might have a greater aptitude than others, most reasonably intelligent people can learn to perform mentalism (or to play the violin). Not all will become Itzhak Perlman or Derren Brown.

Not having seen your county's version of the "search", I can't really say. The U.S. version had an adverse affect, in my opinion.

Positives: If you like what you do and are good at it, as a Mentalist you can enjoy a good income, travel around the world, and bring enjoyment and mystery to people.

Negatives: Professionals spend a lot of time on the road performing. To do a consistently good job it is very hard work.

Some people see mentalism as frightening, and are afraid that you are "reading" thoughts of theirs that they'd rather not share publicly.

Mentalism consists a number of developed skills or abilities which are based upon knowledge, creativity and artistry. It isn't supernatural or occult.

- entity
Kuis
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Kuis
Thans entity, appreciate it!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Questions from a non-mentalist. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL