The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie ball questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Well, I'm no expert, but I can offer one bit of personal experience...

I thought it would be fun to use a "Sparkling Moon Zombie" with built in lights. It's like using a REAL bowling ball! You CAN get too heavy with a zombie. If anyone has used this prop and likes it, PM me for a great half price deal Smile
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 11:21, billappleton wrote:
Hi All,

I have traditionally done the zombie with the w*re wrapped around a TT and holding the silk between thumb and index finger. There are a few moves you can't do, but wow it looks so natural and delicate.

Has anyone done this before? Is this likewise a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance...

I don't have a tight death grip on the gimmick. I hold it very lightly so all of the fingers can be seen. I just pull the middle finger as far as it will go before it falls off, then I stop. I still can do the Zombie moves and if I need more control, I'll slip it on tighter. Then when I bring the ball back out again, I return to the light grip. I put all of the attention on the ball and not on the gimmick. Like Tommy Wonder said, don't make this a puppet show. Animate it.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Speaking of bowling balls and Zombie routines, here is IMHO the best Zombie routine on earth:
Charlie Frye's Flying Bowling Ball Routine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1W4OVrYwaw

James

Quote:
On 2011-09-19 20:05, mrpiper wrote:
Well, I'm no expert, but I can offer one bit of personal experience...

I thought it would be fun to use a "Sparkling Moon Zombie" with built in lights. It's like using a REAL bowling ball! You CAN get too heavy with a zombie. If anyone has used this prop and likes it, PM me for a great half price deal Smile
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
This is a great zombie routine. The foulard is logical and the moves make it looks like the ball is floating.
skilldini
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of skilldini
A great effect to play with for sure, my favorite...
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I was dusting off my old, dented zombie with plans to revive it by combining contact juggling, a PK ring, and the traditional zombie gimmick. To do the illusion with and without the foulard.

Then, someone showed me the promo for Naked Zombie. Very close to the effect that I was going for. I'll soon be looking for a seamless ball to convert to zombiehood.

This is a favorite illusion of my youngest daughter (6)...she tries to hold conversations to "make friends" with the mysterious floating ball.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 13:42, Dr_V wrote:
I was dusting off my old, dented zombie with plans to revive it by combining contact juggling, a PK ring, and the traditional zombie gimmick. To do the illusion with and without the foulard.

Then, someone showed me the promo for Naked Zombie. Very close to the effect that I was going for. I'll soon be looking for a seamless ball to convert to zombiehood.

This is a favorite illusion of my youngest daughter (6)...she tries to hold conversations to "make friends" with the mysterious floating ball.

-Tom

Just to give you some things to think about. There are no "Seamless" Zombies on the market, except maybe plastic, and some of them have a seem. Where you should look is home decorator stores and one person on the Café found some large steel seamless balls on line.

If you actually think about what you are seeing on the Naked Zombie video on line, you may come to the conclusion that the ball is not seamless. If you know how a Zombie is made, this should give you some insight.

Also Contact Juggling is best when performed with a ball of some weight, therefore, any hollow ball will not give the results that a solid ball does. Also a totally smooth ball will be harder to handle. Finally, it takes a very very long time to learn Contact Juggling. Do you really have time that a teenager has to learn such a skill.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 18:09, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Just to give you some things to think about. There are no "Seamless" Zombies on the market, except maybe plastic, and some of them have a seem. Where you should look is home decorator stores and one person on the Café found some large steel seamless balls on line.

If you actually think about what you are seeing on the Naked Zombie video on line, you may come to the conclusion that the ball is not seamless. If you know how a Zombie is made, this should give you some insight.

Touche', the problem I'm having with the incorporation of contact juggling in addition to it is that I also want to keep use the gimmick for part of the performance (as well as using the location in much the same way that Crowe does). Full-on contact juggling will be unfeasible as a result (as the ball would be rotated from all sides. I'll satisfy myself with some of the *principles* of contact juggling, rather than the full thing.

Quote:
Also Contact Juggling is best when performed with a ball of some weight, therefore, any hollow ball will not give the results that a solid ball does. Also a totally smooth ball will be harder to handle. Finally, it takes a very very long time to learn Contact Juggling. Do you really have time that a teenager has to learn such a skill.

LOL, I did when I started doing it a few years back (though I'm admittedly rusty now). Yes, the traditional Zombie will fling about a bit much if used in true contact juggling fashion...I'll adapt a few of the principles of the contact juggling illusion.

Thanks for the tips and ideas!

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
There is a one-piece ball on the market with a modified zombie gimmick. The ball itself is not gimmicked in any way, but I'm not sure if the weight will work for contact juggling.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
World's Greatest Magic - Zombie Ball by L & L publishing is a great source to learn the Zombie. You have Al Schneider who has great tips and moves. Jeff McBride goes into great detail showing a lot of good information and it ends with Tommy Wonder showing his Zombie.

Also another great video to round you out on the subject is Raymond Crowes Naked Zombie. The DVD is entertaining and gives some great moves that can be done without the Zombie gimmick.
CaptainDanTastic
View Profile
New user
Manchester, England
10 Posts

Profile of CaptainDanTastic
Well it's been nearly 10 years since the original question, so I'm just wondering what people's opinions are about the best zombie available to buy at the moment?

I'm looking at Alakzam's website (I'm based in the UK but willing to buy from anyone) https://www.alakazam.co.uk/index-search_......k=zombie

The original reply from David Todd suggested staying away from Vernet and Uday, so would people say to import one from Ickle Pickle?

Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie ball questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL