The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Girls know all the tricks! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blackghost83
View Profile
New user
Selden, NY
36 Posts

Profile of Blackghost83
Every time I show a magic trick to a group of kids, the girl in the group spots what I'm doing! This happens a lot of the time! I could watch myself in the mirror for hours an not see a thing, but when a girl sees it once, they know it! Do girls' eyes process images faster than boys'? Or are they just smarter? Or maybe do I just need to be hotter so they pay more attention to me than the cards?
When asked, "Would anybody play cards with you today?" Ricky Jay simply responded, "Sure."
"Silly People."
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Welcome to the Café Blackghost83. No, girl's eyes do not process images faster than boys and no, girls are not necessarily smarter then boys. You just need more practice, more experience in front of an audience (no matter how big or small) and in time things will improve.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
While I agree with the post above. Studies suggest that eyes of boys and girls do differ anatomically, resulting, early on, in girls focusing on detail, while boys will focus on action. Also, males are more prone to color blindness. It is possible that this is affecting the outcome; however, I certainly agree that more practice has never hurt anyone. Plus if the revelations by the girls are interrupting your performance, and even if not, you may want to work on you audience control a bit so they know it's not okay to share a secret if they discover it or even claim to have "seen" what just happened.

Good luck!
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Blackghost83
View Profile
New user
Selden, NY
36 Posts

Profile of Blackghost83
I guess I just need more practice and audience control. I have always known that my audience control was low, but I thought that I could live with it. Guess not! Does anyone have tips on audience control because I always have people grabbing my cards, touching my cards, when I do a DL they grab the cards and go "Look! Two cards!" I think I need a little help in that area. Any tips?
When asked, "Would anybody play cards with you today?" Ricky Jay simply responded, "Sure."
"Silly People."
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Part of that comes with practice. You first must have your DL down very well and practice it a lot so that you yourself have a hard time figuring the difference between when you really do a DL and when you do a regular single card turn over. They should look exactly the same.

Another key to work on is misdirection and proper usage of it. When I do a DL, what can work great is to take the heat off the deck for just a second. The easiest way to do this is through the eyes. Simply stated, the audience will look where you look. When I am doing a DL, I simply look up at the person and engage them with my eyes as I deliver my patter or ask a question. By simply looking upwards at them, they must look up at me. This is just a natural thing that happens.

When I engage them with the eyes and patter, this takes heat off of the deck, I can then easily do my DL and ensure I have it looking right before I draw focus back to the card. Give it a try and I think you will find it a very powerful tool.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Put in more practice, improve on the presentation, use misdirection and audience management skills will help your performance in many ways.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Three words:

Angles. Grace. Confidence.

Master these, and you will master your audience. Even the girls. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Maybe the guys in the audience are watching the girls, and the girls are watching you.

Jim
Blackghost83
View Profile
New user
Selden, NY
36 Posts

Profile of Blackghost83
Haha that makes me feel better even though my magic is bad the girls are still lookin at me! haha Thanks for the advice guys!
"Silly People."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
At my last show a 10 year kept trying to figure out my secrets. I called her "The Detective" after my show.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-10-15 21:31, Blackghost83 wrote:
Haha that makes me feel better even though my magic is bad the girls are still lookin at me! haha Thanks for the advice guys!

Maybe the girls are not looking at your magic but something else. Your charm, perhaps.
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
You know what... females do see differently than males. Women have MUCH BETTER peripheral vision than men, so it's possible that they are picking up on some movement, or something they see on the side that registers to them as tricky. Think about the cliche... guys always get yelled at for looking at other women. They'll actually turn their heads to look. It's not that women don't do the same, it's that women can check out anyone in the room without turning their heads. It's because of this difference in peripheral vision.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
You may be making more eye contact with the boys more than the girls without realizing it. Making eye contact with children during your show helps curb some of this behavior. Or if you have one girl doing all the talking, bring her up for a trick. She is trying to get atttention let her have some. After the trick tell her "now never tell anyone OUR secrets". I like working with kids and have learned a lot from it.
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Quote:
On 2008-10-08 21:49, Blackghost83 wrote:
Every time I show a magic trick to a group of kids, the girl in the group spots what I'm doing! This happens a lot of the time!

Girls can smell your lies.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Girls know the secret:

Q; How do you tell if a guy's lying?

A: His lips are moving.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
Girls/women are also more intuative than boys/men. When it comes to men, we are more observant about their actions.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 12:01, Lbuford wrote:
When it comes to men, we are more observant about their actions.

After 35+ years of marriage, I can definitely confirm this!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
selphie_trabia
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of selphie_trabia
I'm not very observant, but I don't really like shifty eyes on anyone who is performing for me.

Turning on the charm really helps too. I think there was one trick I became a volunteer for - the magician in question was using a really basic card trick, but he was so charming that I didn't even notice how he did it!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Did you notice how I look?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Girls know all the tricks! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL