The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Would you be prepared for an Impormtu show for large audience? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bryan Smith
View Profile
New user
Korea
99 Posts

Profile of Bryan Smith
I understand where you are coming from, Vick. You do have to admit, however, that the performing arts are quite a bit different than other types of jobs. I don't know any musicians who ask "how much are you going to pay me?" if they are asked to sit in for a couple songs. They might say no, but they don't get all indignant about it.

There's a difference between them coming up and asking you to headline and asking you to do a short set. Sure, saying no is always an option as the OP mentioned, but there is also nothing wrong with saying yes. It gives a chance to promote yourself to people who might otherwise not have heard of you. If a TV station offered to run a free commercial for your act, would you turn them down because you weren't getting paid to act in it? It's exactly the same thing.

Anyway, it's a personal choice, and there's nothing wrong with them asking just as there is nothing wrong with you saying no.
"I'm half drunk most the time
and I'm all drunk the rest"
--Tom Waits
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The "compensation" for me is the pleasure I get from giving an enjoyable experience.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
If I was asked to do a couple of short effects without any notice, I might be able to pull it off when it is close up, but I don't have enough stage material in my repertoire to build a 20 minute show.

This question does touch on something I think about a lot. I don't like to be dependent on magic props that can break on me mid-show, so the effects I perform tend to be gimmickless. Thinking about what you should do if you had to put on a show on extremely short notice is a very good exercise.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
What a fun question!

I didn’t see it the first go-round, but since it’s resurfaced….

I agree with Jaz.

I was thinking like Jaxon about ropes and napkins, and could probably make that run for 10-15 minutes with a little “business” thrown in for laughs.

If I had as much as two minutes to prepare, I’d give some instructions to the MC on when to “interrupt” me with an announcement. Long time ago I did a nightly sidewalk show for the crowd waiting to get into the Haunted House. I discovered if someone (on the proper cue) walks out and hands you a piece of paper, play it semi-seriously and you can run with that for quite a while, building gag-line upon gag-line.

“There is a blue Toyota, license number 5D2 (pause) 94P (pause) M826 (long pause) D4718T9J (and so on). Your car is fine, but the license plate is blocking the alleyway.”
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
It's just my old speech competition training, but "extemporaneous" is when you give a performance using prepared material on a 'chance' theme (or have an hour to prepare), while "impromptu" means an instant performance using found items. Thus, carring a supply of props on the chance you will get to perform is never really Impromptu, but I could extend to props that are never seen or acknowledged by the audience. Someone pulling out a piece of rope would seem so contrived to me that ...

I feel that any prcticing magician should be able to do a couple of effects with 'found' objects, or normal objects like a finger ring, borrowed pen or dollar bill. There is nothing wrong with being prepared to do a small show under any setting, but that is not really 'impromptu'.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
You can do Paul Brook's Juxtapose with just a few items in your wallet.

Regards,
Mike
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
This post has just brought up a lot about how we view impromptu. It seem to range from anything that don’t use complicated gaff and take a long set up can be impromptu (ish). To it only promtau if you do it with something you never seen and do something that you never done before (or there about). This example is a bit extreme however to be a bit more useful. Borrow a shoe lace and bracelet and do ring and rope that is impromptu how ever prep the shoe lace for fibre optics is not importuned.

I think what is important in this discussion is what the spectator see. If there convinced that we really did that with there borrowed item then that is job done. This is what is rattling around in my head at the mop from this post. As it gets clear ill add more.

Now as for doing of the cuff act I have done this a few times. I often carry a Signal rope version of Fibre optics, a TT and Power ball 60. These past effects made a nice routine that I hand with me. Something I did for a room of 25 people on a small stage was a salt pour in to a napkin un roll the napkin showing it empty then roll it up pour out the salt. Then followed it with coins to glass using 3 £2 coins and a glass the sound helped with this I did magic numbers. This was all impromptu I did make a gaff for salt pour which I got from Life savers.

Something else which is good to use is a way of remembering 20 object that a audience give you at random and you name them in any order.

There a few thoughts and comments do as you well with them.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
My impromtu program and my planned programs are more puppet and prop heavy.

Making audience members into instant puppets is already part of my schtick.

So is asking the consumer(contact at venue) to supply me with a few props to do bits with. This comes from my years with an improv troupe, as well as growing up with the Jonathan Winters Show. (younger folks will relate to the show-Whose line is it anyway.

Paper balls over the head
If it is following a dinner ....cloth napkins can be used to produce interesting items.
silverware could be found on the guest of honor...

great food for thought..

thanks

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Fun question! For me, it would have to be C&B routine with fruit from bar. But wod really depend on the cups - I've practiced with coffee cups and kumquats.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
In Medieval settings I used to hand out a basked filled with all sorts of small objects -- nuts, rings, coins, rope. etc. Spectators would select items for me to perform with. This came across as Impromptu and also "examined" though I often immediately switched in a gaff.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
An awesome discussion.If I had a deck of cards with me and 10 minutes to plan I reckon I could pull something off
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Would you be prepared for an Impormtu show for large audience? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL