The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Promo Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
This is still a rough draft needing a few tweaks, but my editor's computer crashed so for right now this is a final version, at least until the end of the week or so. (I'm hoping for the interim, at least!)

In the meantime, honest reviews wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrACV92-2rs

Alexa
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
See my comments in the Grand Illusion forum. Smile
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Wow I like your outfit, very much. I haven't seen a female Magicienne with that type of outfit or theme. Very pretty too if I might add. The tricks performed seemed flawless to this close-up performer. My only suggestion is cut the frog part out and the kissing of the frof, and use the T.O.B. for something house. Just produce the prince in other words. Myself I like the trick where you show the paper bag empty and produce the box of flowers. To be honest not sure how it's done and that's one trick on my list of many for parties I do. Overall I give it a 8, Good Job, Ed, (Eddini), C.H.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You keep showing exactly the same tricks. Flower boxes, the rose thing, the dove and so forth. When you keep repeating it people wonder if it is from lack of material.

It also seems as if every time there is magic there is an unfortunate camera cut.
For example right before the prince appears. Every box that comes out of the bag and so forth. It looks as if it is all done with editing. I know it is not, but laymen will not know the secret.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Right now it runs a bit over four minutes - I think it would be much stronger if you cut it down to three minutes. I also don't think you need to show the full frog routine, it slows things down too much. Finally, I really think you need some footage of some crowds reacting to your stuff. The voiceover says "she's not just a magician or a balloon twister, but an entertainer" - but with no crowd, and the same backdrop in every scene, it almost looks like dealer demo footage for products, rather than you showcasing your entertaining abilities.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
One thing I noticed is that when you did the take apart dove vanish, you were holding the lid up the whole time. Basically, that says to the audience, "Here it is! Here it is!"

I agree with Eddini_81976. Lose the frog. Also you might want to consider finding either a larger load for the tip over chest, or a smaller production box. Pulling that little Ken doll out of that big chest does not seem very magical. To me, it is like using a box the size of an airplane hanger to produce a tricycle. If you keep the frog, you might want to find something like a "dove to rabbit" kind of a trick. Put the frog in the cage and "change" it into the doll(visually if possible with a little puff of smoke or something like that).

I really do like the tip over chest, though. It is a wonderful prop (I used to sell them in San Diego), and looks like it would belong to a princess. But use it to produce something larger that a princess might have. Like a white cat, a big "diamond", or something like that.

I really like the final production of the prince. I think the castle looks very cool and the production is unexpected.

As far as this video being a promo video, lose the frog to prince segment entirely. It slows down the pace of the video. Smile
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I think you will find work in MANY "princess" girl birthdays...if that is your target CONGRATULATIONS!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
aquamage
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of aquamage
I humbly disagree with some of the others....definately KEEP the frog in the Prince routine. It's such a well-known, standard story that every child knows. I work with kids a lot and I'm sure a real frog coming out (especially at a "Princess" party) gets HUGE response. As for the video, I must agree...don't show the whole routine...as I mentioned, it's such a standard story-line that it doesn't need more than a few seconds of footage for folks to "get" what it is. I would really suggest trying to get some footage in front of different backdrops and in different settings...it is too "staged" in just one place. I agree with the above advice about the cuts...try to use some smoother transitions. Also agree with cutting down on repitition of effects. All-in-all you have a wonderful theme idea and I agree with Hansel...you will definately get a lot of work at parties for girls. I want to mention again I absolutely LOVE the frog to prince idea....you sure don't see THAT too often!
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
Hmmm... nice, but repetitive. I would do a little bit of editing and throw in:

realistic laugh and applause tracks

different backgrounds (green screen)

a variety of music

Otherwise, great!

Matt
Matt Simonsen
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
1) Agree on the terrible handling of the takeapart box.

2) Agree that it should be a maximum of 3 minutes.

3) There are no audience shots, it looks like you filmed this in your bedroom.

4) The live frog debate is more a marketing decision than a promo video decision. Will a "gross" live frog cost you as many shows as it gains? For your market, I'd suggest that it would. I don't know any little girls (or more importantly - birthday mothers) who would like to pet a slimy frog.

5) Too many "flowers", even for a fairy.

6) The section at the end with you out of costume stuck out like a sore thumb, get rid of it.
amazing_gordo
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
35 Posts

Profile of amazing_gordo
Hi Alexa,

Overall, I'd say that was a very good promo video! You handle yourself very well on stage, and seem very poised and confident!

The princess costume was lovely, the props were colorful, and the tricks were very good! I especially liked the frog to prince illusion. Very original! It sure puts a new spin on the old "Acme Magic Vanishing bandanna" style trick! I always enjoy new tricks, or even old ones with new and original presentations. Personally, I might substitute a rubber or even a plush stuffed frog for the live one, though.

And I wouldn't cut it down either. It appears to be your signature piece, and it would be a shame to butcher it just to save a few seconds. Besides, when an effect is edited, the cuts are obvious and viewers start to shout "Fake!" thinking it camera trickery. Let it play out!

At 4:12 your promo is exactly ONE second longer than MY own promo video, which is 4:11. So I do not think it's too long at all. On the contrary, you have to give people at least 4 minutes in order to properly showcase your act and do it justice.

After all, it's a promo video and not a commercial for McDonalds. People who are enjoying it will watch the whole thing. Those who don't, or who have short attention spans or A.D.D. will all be gone after the first 30 seconds anyway. Smile

I have to agree with some of our colleagues here about getting audience reactions though. It really sells a performer to have those! And different locations are a must too! It makes for interesting viewing!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
You need more variety in your shots. There is something called the 15 degree rule, where a new camera angle needs to be a change of at least 15 degrees from the previous shot in order to be effective.

You have a lot of similar shots that all look like the same show, same camera. The same bg can work, but needs the change in angle and shot size even more.

Personally, I love the frog bit. I agree that you don't need it to be so long, or show so much of everything.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Promo Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL