The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » JB Optical Ropes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Been doing this for a while now, but I find the 2 wire gimmicks sometimes get stuck on the rope a bit.

I have the original version.

Did JB change or improve the gimmick when they released the new version with the DVD instructions?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Is there a video demo??
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
That's the demo I saw.. I thought there was something new out.
They present it as a puzzle more than an effect.
Doesn't Tabary do an ungimmicked version?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
I just received my optical ropes yesterday and it's very easy to do. One of the ropes is made wrong though and falls right off the gimmick. I wrote the company I bought it from to see if they'll exchange it for a new one. Even with that I'm still very happy with my purchase. I learned the routine in less than an hour. It's a little difficult right now because I have to be careful that the one rope doesn't fall out but once I get it replaced I should be able to do the routine much more smoothly.
Making Birthdays Magical!
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It looks a lot like a Tabary routine.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Classless effect, a puzzle. Not magically performed. "Watch how well I hide the gimmicks." And, it screams gimmicks.
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
I wouldn't say classless effect. Maybe it just doesn't suit you. I like it and it fools people. A lot of effects use gimmicks. Anything presented properly can be magical. Take "salt shaker through table" Very simple and extremely obvious but if done correctly you can blow people away with it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though.
Making Birthdays Magical!
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I recall some of Hen Fetch's great early rope stuff, like "Quad-Rope-Lets". There were others and in my day were "must have's".
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-05-18 10:09, adamferrucci wrote:
I wouldn't say classless effect. Maybe it just doesn't suit you. I like it and it fools people. A lot of effects use gimmicks. Anything presented properly can be magical. Take "salt shaker through table" Very simple and extremely obvious but if done correctly you can blow people away with it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though.

It is not original, it is a remake and a poor demo. No EV "entertainment value) the way he does it. I use gimmicks as well.
Marvel the magnificent
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Marvel the magnificent
I like Optical Ropes. Sure its a puzzle but it is so amazing to non-magicians. I did it at my day job the other day and even though I was close my friend was totally baffled about how all these things could be happening. Much of magic is pure fantasy! Speaking alternate ways of accomplishing a similar effect, Aldo Colombini has a great routine using ungimmicked ropes called RopeIn.
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
Ahhh easy yes maybe? but you cant hand it out ( I am assuming?) I think a short rope routine is much stronger and examinable. The one thing that doesn't interest me about this effect is the fact that it looks to robotic. I mean the phases seem fast, and that demo took less than 2 minutes. I don't know I am not sold. I am sure it works for some, I just don't like gimmick ropes.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The video is actually 57 seconds in length. I am sure in actual performance it would be a little longer. I can see this as an excellent stand-up item with a lot of comedy possibilities in the routine. I would think this is something for performers who value Entertainment over mystery and fooling an audience.

What comes to mind is effects like Trouble Wit with the folded paper and the felt hat routine Chapo. Kind of like a Chinese sticks routine as well.

With the right presentation and funny patter and acting, this could be a real winner. That is how I see it.

To bad the YouTube video did not have sound of the performers voice.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Sorry but..... Fiber Optics, Fiber Optics, Fiber Optics.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
This is a perfect comedy rope routine. If that's not your style then Fiber Optics or one of the older classic methods is the way to go.

But you can't beat this for comedy. Unexaminable doesn't figure in to it if your patter is that you were going to do a rope trick but you that you received a faulty length of it & it does all this weird stuff that would ruin what you were going to show them. This way you're in a bit of an annoyed mood by the end where you just simply put them back in your pocket in a huff & move on to your next effect.

But I will have to learn Fiber Optics cause that looks good too!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
The one thing that doesn't interest me about this effect is the fact that it looks to robotic.

I just looked at the demo again, I also saw Mark at a lecture. 1) It is not his effect. 2) it is done as a puzzle 3) It screams "show the hidden stuff in the hand" 4) Shades of Tabary? only in that Tabary has multiple ends, watch Tabary again before you compare.
I would compare this to chinese sticks which is a great puzzle. Mark is a salesman here, an impersonal routine and I agree "robotic".
This is my opinion, and my vote is as good as any ones.
milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
215 Posts

Profile of milesart
Hello everybody, yes it is true, the gimmick stucks a bit and damages the ropes pretty fast. I closed the gimmicks with a tiny bit of silikon (like an 8), now it's very smoothly! hope it helps someone as well. however I do not know hot to reset it for the next table. mason shows this part to fast on the dvd for me. anyone can PM me about this (skype would be awesome)
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I am looking for this, is it on a video / dvd explanation, thanks, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okb9Szy347Y
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » JB Optical Ropes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL