The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Stickley-/Wonder (inspired by Tommy Wonder) Hold Out Lock.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I am one of the beta-testers for Keith Stickley's new "Stickley-Wonder Hold Out Stop".

For those of us that use gravity hold outs (Miller or Vernet styles). The problem of keeping the devices out-of-play can seem to be as hard as learning to use the devices themselves initially.

Tommy Wonder solved this problem for himself and us with the release of his 2 book set, "The Books of Wonder". I tried to have his line-stop made and was immediately met with the reality of what good machining really costs. One Magic problem solver/machinist wanted over $400.00 to make one for me. He had some wonderful pictures of several of the devices he makes that Tommy Wonder shows in his books. All are beautifully machined brass, finished as smooth and shiny as jewelry. Absolutely gorgeous stuff!! Unfortunately I wasn't able to afford that, but that may have been a good thing.

Keith contacted me and said he was designing and making a line-stop that even improved on Mr. Wonder's original design with more refined telemetry inside the device.

The Stickley-Stop is a little smaller than a iPod-Nano, at 2-5/8 inches long, by 1-1/4 inch wide, and 1/2 inches thick. The device has a pass-through for your line and is used on the line closest to the business end of this style of hold out.

Operation is simple: You use your controlling arm to raise the gimmick's head and pull it up fully. This engages a small ball (a bead actually) that is attached to the line below the stop itself. Then the line is effectively locked. To disengage the line-stop, you just repeat the procedure (i.e., pull up on the line again) and the gaff drops like a rock into your waiting hand.

The "But," department:

It takes a lot of time and patience to find the exact place to put the bead. I solved this for myself by using a very tiny lead split-shot, designed for use as a fishing weight, that you just crimp onto the line. I crimp it very slightly so that it can be moved around until you find the best "sweet-spot" for your own tastes. Then I crimped it fully. It takes a few more days of diligent practice to become very comfortable with the line-stop's usage. Once you're comfortable, it becomes automatic to use it.

This is a very well constructed device, made entirely of a block of CNC-machined Delrin. If you know of Delrin, it's the perfect choice. It's also nicely finished with chamfered edges and the entire device is matte black, so there is no flash if you open your jacket inadvertently.

I don't know what "improved telemetry" really means as far as this unit is concerned, but Keith told me it means a further refined line pathway.

All I can say is that it works flawlessly and I would not feel as comfortable using my modified "Invisible Hand" without it. I don't know how I did without one. Well, I did get by, but sometimes you have to be so careful not to have the Invisible Hand pop-out and reveal itself. I no longer worry about that because of my Stickley-Wonder Hold Out Stop. I'll be using my Invisible Hand a whole bunch more, now.

Mine shipped with a iPod Nano upper arm strap. It has a strap and a little pouch for an iPod to fit into when running, exercising, etc. I have been asking Keith to make a little black nylon webbing case and strap for it. That may be coming soon. There was also a supply of beads, in case you need extras. Lines (especially mono-filament) can snap and beads get lost. (another reason I prefer woven silk thread).

I paid the full price for this device, so I have nothing to gain by reporting on it. It was less than half of the price the brass line-stop maker asked for his unit. Yes it's still expensive, but what it does is well worth what I paid for it in the security it brings to using a gravity hold out. When he brings the Stickley-Stop into full production, they may cost less. Those of you that don't have one (pretty much everybody) will be the beneficiaries of Keith's wonderful design and product execution and most likely pay a little less than I did.

I am no pro. I am an amateur that mainly performs Magic as a hospital volunteer. I do a few walk-around gigs at local fraternal organizations for wedding anniversaries and other special events. I have no credence with most of you, especially the professional performers here. I hope you can at least try to trust me when I say this Stickley-Wonder Line-Stop is fantastic.

Give Keith a PM here on the Café to ask for more information if it's something you may be interested in. He has a small movie wherein he introduces the device and explains it's use. He may send that to serious inquiries. I am sure he will chime-in on my review here and then you will have a direct link to his Café PM address.

Ask Keith anything you want to about his hold out stop. I am sure he will respond ASAP.

I'd show pictures, but I don't have permission to do so yet. All I can say is that it's size belies the gigantic problems that it can solve for all of us that use gravity hold outs.

dsalley13
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I'm Interested.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2009-12-22 14:42, B Hackler wrote:
I'm Interested.

I'm interested too. Any updates on this ? Is it available ?
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Contact the maker, Keith Stickley. He supplied me with one and one other Magician that I know of. It works wonderfully well.

Keith's e-mail:

keith@keithmagic.com

here's his website:

http://www.keithmagic.com/

dsalley13
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Greetings!

With Vernet's wonderful "Invisible Hand" DVD set release a few years ago I began seriously studying holdouts again. I gave up on them previously, but Vernet's offering inspired me to go back and give it another look.

I ended up making a modified Miller holdout design of my own using some of Tommy Wonder’s advice from his Books of Wonder series. I prefer this to the standard fishing weight style that Vernet is offering.

Anyway, the one thing that was missing was a good reliable holdout lock. I tried a number of different ideas but was never satisfied until I came upon the Stickley Wonder Hold Out Lock.

Keith Stickley has really designed a winner here! His holdout lock is relatively small in size (2-5/8 inches long, by 1-1/4 inch wide, and 1/2 inches thick) and most importantly is extremely reliable in its function. I now have the missing piece of my holdout puzzle solved and couldn't be more happy.

If you are looking for a reliable holdout lock then you need look no further. At $220 this isn't cheap, but if you are a serious holdout worker and want to solve the lock problem like I did then Keith's solution is for you.

The original poster who started this thread did a nice job of describing the holdout lock so I am not going to repeat what she said again.

There is some setup required so be prepared to spend some time getting it dialed in. Also Keith does not supply the iPod Nano arm strap any longer so you will be left to your own devices on figuring a way to attach it to either your arm or your jacket. I used some elastic that holds the lock to the inside of my jacket arm with safety pins and that solution has been working quite nicely for me. Keith has gone the extra step of having a tailor put a custom pocket inside his sleeve that holds his holdout lock so you can go that route too. I haven't tried the iPod Nano arm strap solution (the first generation Nano straps work perfectly and are available cheaply on Ebay) so that is another option.

This is definitely a worker’s device. There are no moving parts to worry about so it should last you a life time.

I am glad I came across this and had the opportunity to make the investment. After talking to Keith it sounds like he only has a limited number of these and won't be making anymore in the future, so if you are interested I would pick up one now. I can easily see these selling for $500 on the secondary market once Keith is sold out and they are no longer available.

Cheers!

** Bill **
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
For anyone interested in this kind of work, I will be making another VERY SMALL run of my Stickley - Wonder hold out lock. It will not be mass marketed at all. If you are interested, please contact me ASAP at keith@keithmagic.com
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Well...

The batch of holdout locks is ready for your order. If you are interested in one, I suggest you contact me quick, most of the run is already spoken for, but there are a couple left. Shipping out April 6.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
droubaille
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of droubaille
Anyone knows if the lock is compatible with the Antonio romero holdout?
Since I have already "something" in my sleeve I don't know if the two gimmicks can work together.
Thanks
Magoantonio
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Magoantonio
I think that with the Romero Hold Out you don´t need to use a lock.
Only a clip into your jacket pocket
Here you have video with the Romero Hold Out
www.RomeroMagic.com
droubaille
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of droubaille
Yes It is possible to turn off the ARHO without tommy wonder's lock, but you have to go inside your jacket pocket.
With the lock you can turn on or off during a routine without this inconvenient. Of course this is note essential but I find it interesting.

By the way, I love your holdout Mr Romero!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Stickley-/Wonder (inspired by Tommy Wonder) Hold Out Lock.... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL