The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic and Islam... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
175 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
I 'm teaching kids. In my classroom there are a lot of muslim kids. Sometimes I will some show a magic trick as a rewarning. Children, any kind, like and love magic for entertainment. For the firsttime ever ask a worried father to ask me to stop with magic in the classroom. He told the islam verbid any kind of magic. In someway I totaly can understand that some 'magic' is forbidden, like witchcraft, black magic ala 10 plaques of Moses, phantasy magic like Harry Potter and even mentalism (prodict/prophesy the future. Only Allah is aloud to do that!).
But I can't understand why magic for fun is forbidden. What 's wrong with card, coin of sponge magic? The magic whats happen is unseen handelings with gimmicks.
I can't denied the argument of a worried father. So I 'm looking for answares for helping me and to giving the worried father because as father he disserve a answare. Let me clear about this: everyone have their own thoughts about this situation. But I 'm not looking for negative opinions, just helpfull advise.

My questions to the Muslim magician: where is written its for bidden? Or what (Text/saying/....) can help me that's is NOT forbidden. I have heard about differents between magic and (black) magick.
Any helpfull answare I will preciate. I 'm looking forward to receive and read it.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Croak.
Ribbit.
Smile
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2016, Jac -dutch- wrote:
I 'm teaching kids. In my classroom there are a lot of muslim kids. Sometimes I will some show a magic trick as a rewarning. Children, any kind, like and love magic for entertainment. For the firsttime ever ask a worried father to ask me to stop with magic in the classroom. He told the islam verbid any kind of magic. In someway I totaly can understand that some 'magic' is forbidden, like witchcraft, black magic ala 10 plaques of Moses, phantasy magic like Harry Potter and even mentalism (prodict/prophesy the future. Only Allah is aloud to do that!).
But I can't understand why magic for fun is forbidden. What 's wrong with card, coin of sponge magic? The magic whats happen is unseen handelings with gimmicks.
I can't denied the argument of a worried father. So I 'm looking for answares for helping me and to giving the worried father because as father he disserve a answare. Let me clear about this: everyone have their own thoughts about this situation. But I 'm not looking for negative opinions, just helpfull advise.

My questions to the Muslim magician: where is written its for bidden? Or what (Text/saying/....) can help me that's is NOT forbidden. I have heard about differents between magic and (black) magick.
Any helpfull answare I will preciate. I 'm looking forward to receive and read it.

"Let the hawk perch and let the eagle perch," said the old priest to the modern, young schoolmaster in "Dead Men's Path."
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
All this talk about atheists (etc.) reminds me of the age old problem:

"What does a dyslexic agnostic insomniac do?" A wise old warlock explained it: "He lies awake all night, wondering if there is a dog."
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If pigs could fly would Muslims like them?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Quote:
"When pigs fly" is an adynaton, a way of saying that something will never happen. The phrase is often used for humorous effect, to scoff at over-ambition.

Tommy, you may mean that peaceful co-existence with Muslims is a pipe dream. And the doctrines of holy war and religious imperialism might bear you witness.
However, the teacher with many Muslim kids in his classroom might want to find a way to perch peacefully. Maybe it depends where he's teaching...
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I am a public school teacher who has had many Muslim students from all over the world in his classes. Many of them liked magic so much that I taught an after-school class that was attended by Muslims and non-Muslims enthusiastically.

This generalizing about religious beliefs is at best silly, and at worst, destructive. Islam, like Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism is not a monolithic set of beliefs, but quite influenced by local considerations of politics, class, traditions, history, and cross-cultural fertilization.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
People have their differences and that is good but opposing forces must have something in common if there is to be any magic between them. The Islamist and the Jew might hate one another but if they both love poker, then they can come to our place meet for some after dinner fun, as they do and they get on nicely. If we gamblers have one thing in common it is that all our religions frown upon us. We don’t care all that and we just get on with our game.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
175 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
I'm sorry. I can't understand the metafore or thoughts from stories. I 'm not a English native speaker and I 'm trying hard to understand what somebody wrote and means.

Quote:
On Nov 4, 2016, landmark wrote:

This generalizing about religious beliefs is at best silly, and at worst, destructive. Islam, like Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism is not a monolithic set of beliefs, but quite influenced by local considerations of politics, class, traditions, history, and cross-cultural fertilization.

I'm totaly agree with you. that's exactly what I'm thinking. I 'm trying to find a way in this problem, because I like to do magic in the class. Fortunaly not every muslim (or christian) dislike/forbid magic. I 'll also checking how big is that special group that dislike magic.
I am thinking there is a differents to do magic: to tell you are showing a trick or prettening to do look likes getting a gift (like many mentalism people) from the 'all mighty' and showing a trick. This difference could maybe make a big differents and make it understanding. Also it tells you to do if you want to show (just for prevending misunderstanding).
A few that won't magic may not rule the group that likes magic, right? Otherwise why do I shouldn't let it go?
For now I'm not done yet. Even I received 2 YouTube-cast with explaining about forbidding.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2016, landmark wrote:
I am a public school teacher who has had many Muslim students from all over the world in his classes. Many of them liked magic so much that I taught an after-school class that was attended by Muslims and non-Muslims enthusiastically.

....and it's for this reason we shouldn't put a tourniquet on our magic, simply pretext your lesson with a disclaimer before hand offering those the opportunity to take their leave if they so wish. I refuse to make exceptions on religious grounds simply because it puts you in a situation of walking on egg shells with sensibilities which is impossible to navigate.

My views on religion of all denominations is they are all a bedrock of equivocation. There are people who profess to be Christians who believe in “just war” and others who believe the Bible teaches pacifism. Some believe in capital punishment while others believe in rehabilitation of prisoners without thinking of incarceration as either a deterrent or extracting hard time to “pay back society” for evils done. Other self-described Christians believe in abortion, while others strongly oppose it.

Just don't even begin trying to navigate these murkey waters mate, other wise you'll just end up chasing your own tail.

Magically

Aus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
We know somebody who works in a charity shop by us. He brought us over a load of old magic books for free. He said they throw them away because having them in the shop might cause them trouble! He said that they do not sell Bibles or the Koran etcetera or anything sexy neither. I guess they think them occult or something.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2010, A. Sil. wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but thought some of you might find the following to be of interest:

http://blog.oup.com/2010/02/islamagic/

Thanks for your time.

There was a survey in one of the magazines (I think Genii, but correct me if I'm wrong) as to why there weren't more female magicians. The answers (from the men) were, to use a term, wowsers! "Women don't want to practice." "Women can't lift the props." "Women aren't naturally graceful." (???) It's always been my impression that there aren't more female magicians because women, as young girls, aren't allowed to play with toys. There are soldier toys and fantasy toys and action toys for boys and women are expected to play with dolls, household appliances, things that build homemaking skills. There have been a few female magicians (I would love to see a film on Mlle. Herrmann who rebuilt her husband's magic show with herself in the lead after her nephew disappointed everyone.) one of whom actually did the sawing in half routine with a male audience member.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Not in Genii.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Not in Genii.

OK, then it must have been in Magic. I didn't actually see the survey, only the response of a woman who was a magician adding her two cents to the answers.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic and Islam... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL