The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Drill hole in porcelain? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I got some fairly cheap porcelain eggs from Michael's - hollow, about 1/8-inch thick, I think. Not a real hard baked glaze. They're only $199 for the whole package, so I don't think they're a real "top-line-quality" item. (Can't find it online or I'd post a link.)

I'd like to drill a hole in the end about 1/2-inch dimater. I have a Dremel-type tool. Is this a good tool? If so, what bit and what speed? If not, what would you recommend?

Ed
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Good thing you've got a bag of them, because you should expect to break several before having any success. Having experience drilling tiles and glass, you should use a diamond tipped bit. A dremel or drill will work, I would suggest a drill press if you have one or access to one. You will need to create a starting point. What I mean by that, is a small nick in the surface of the glaze so that the bit will have something to bite into onto and minimize the "walk".
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
I think a dremel would work.

From the Dremel website:

Quote:
Q: What will work to drill porcelain?

A: If you just need a hole and are not concerned about the exact size, a tungsten carbide cutter can work to grind through the material, although the hole could get quite large. If you require a precise hole, you will need a drill bit and it will need to be made of at tungsten carbide or diamond.

I think I'd try to make a sort of clamping jig from a couple of pieces of scrap styrofoam to hold the egg, and I'd start with a slower speed till I'd made a small nick with the bit.

A lot of ceramics are softer than a true porcelain (or a stoneware) and will drill easier--but may be more breakable too, especially when applying pressure. If the eggs seem sort of light in comparison to their size, they may be of a softer bodied ceramic composition.

Best of luck!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Slowest speed possible and spritz it with water to keep it wet.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What about grinding it away, instead of drilling it? Dremel has some bits that may work better than a drill bit. If slower speed is required, just chuck them in a variable speed drill instead of the Dremel tool.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Yah - doesn't have to be a picture-perfect hole. So a diamond-tipped or tungsten-carbide cutter, slow speed, keep it wet ... got that! Doesn't seem to be a glaze, or at least not a gloss finish. More of a flat finish - it comes with little paints for kids to color it. (And the cost is missing a decimal point - only $1.99 each.)

Thanks all!
Ed
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Ed,

Since the eggs don't seem to be glazed, before you invest in a diamond or tungsten bit (they can be a bit pricey), try scratching the eggs with a nail. If they seem to scratch easily, you'll probably be able to use a bit you already have on hand.

Lin
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Ah! Will do .... thanks!
Ed
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The easiest and most reliable way to accomplish what you want to do is with a small sand blaster.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
Ed,

Since the eggs don't seem to be glazed, before you invest in a diamond or tungsten bit (they can be a bit pricey), try scratching the eggs with a nail. If they seem to scratch easily, you'll probably be able to use a bit you already have on hand.

Lin

Yep, scratched very easily. Thanks for that tip! It's gonna make things a lot easier.
Ed
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Smile I suspected as much. Smile Use a grinder bit in your dremel and apply the bit very lightly to take the material off. If you use pressure, you risk cracking/breaking the egg. You probably won't need water to keep the bit cool, but it might help keep the dust down--or it might make a messy paste that splatters everywhere. Good luck!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-03-16 14:28, Thomas Wayne wrote:
The easiest and most reliable way to accomplish what you want to do is with a small sand blaster.

TW

Powdered eggs?? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Several companies make very small sand blasters (sometimes called "pencil blasters") that are capable of such fine work that you can actually cut your signature onto a hard surface, just as if you were using a Sharpie. I would think that sort of control would be perfect for this particular application.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I figured as much, but just the intial image of a sandblaster and an egg... I couldn't resist. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Use a punch to get a hole,you'll break plenty.then follow above advice w/dremel tool.it takes plenty of time but one is all you need unless you're going to provide for the club.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Drill hole in porcelain? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL