The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ideas for walkaround rope routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Let me toot my own horn again. When I first came up with Dances with ropes, it was an evolutionary process. The routine was, however, a platform or parlour effect. The un-gimmicked version, (on the DVD as an advanced routine) was something I adapted to use for close-up and actually first tried it under fire in a crowd of 500. I was strolling and because the effect had several elements, I was allowed to keep the audience occupied for 3-4 minutes.
Now, because the effect, in essence resets as you perform, someone can come in the middle of it and not see repetition or have to be brought up to speed.
The routine does not end, as I just keep going and I slowly revolve to the crowd behind me after each set. The audience, leaves on their own when they see the repetition (actually a combination of 25% leaving and the rest wanting to see it again.).
As I work thru the crowd, I just keep going with a moving 4 minute effect with lots of key moves and applause cue points.
That very first time, of performing under fire was rewarding, as I had started out with the gimmicked linking ropes which is about 20% of the routine, the gimmick came loose causing me to continue the effect without it.
As I said, I had practiced the ungimmicked effect but never did it out of necessity.
It not only worked, but going without the gaff allowed me to hand the ropes out for examination two times during the set.
I would say, that this is ideal for any walk-a-round situation.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-04-10 17:26, moechsle wrote:
When doing walkaround magic I always carry a rope and that little something extra for performing a classic hand-cut rope routine. I use David Stone's "Hallucination" routine from "Real Secrets of Magic", vol 1. An absolutely stunning routine which I often use as an opener.

I just watched a performance of the Stone routine which seems to have 90% borrowed material from Sands, with a little Tabary thrown in.
You may want to look into Sandsational and Sandslide (now available from Allan Sands.
You wil see more content and the origins of many of these "lecturers" on rope.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
George Sands always worked with a single piece of rope, and a pair of scissors. He is the master of rope magic, and you just can't go wrong doing his original moves.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I have some nice flyers about the Knot routine and I'd gladly send one to anyone that asks. E-mail me your Postal mailing address to deloomis@mindspring.com

I found this list of the segments on the DVD which will give you some idea of what's on it:

Dennis Loomis Routine:
Single Overhand Knot and Slip Knot
Sliding Knot
Intro to One Handed Knot
One Handed Knot
2 Hands, 2 Knots
Bow Knot
Chefalo Knot
Knot that tries
Butterfly and Mosquito
Intro to Lazy Sailor tying Figure 8
Lazy Sailor Tying Figure 8
Intro to Will Rogers Snap Knot A
Clip from Ropin Rool
Intro to Will Rogers Snap Knot B
Will Rogers Knot
End of Will Rogers Knot Insts.

Bonus Section:
G.W. Hunter Puzzle Knot
Combo Knot
Sliding Knot Alternative
Party and Summer Camp Put-Ons
Jim Snapp’s Weighted Knot
Two Knots Snapped with one hand
Bob Lewis Routine
Snapping a Slip Knot
Lazy Sailor tying Single Overhand Knot
Intro to Strobe Sequence
Strobe Sequence
Flying Butterfly
Monk Watson’s Sliding Knot Demo
Monk Watson Explanation
Intro to Eskimo Yo-Yo
Oslund doing Eskimo Yo-Yo
Intro to Mary Mowder doing Flips Slipknot
Mary doing the Flip Slip Knot Routine
Intro to Bill Spooner’s Snap Knot
Bill Spooner’s Snap Knot
Credits

Thanks to all that have made positive comments on this DVD. Buyers are free to use my own routine if they wish, but the DVD has over 35 trick and fancy knots explained and I hope you will be inspired to put your own routine together.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Here are just a few of the comments I've received about the Knot Routine DVD:

"An invaluable DVD for anyone who wants to add rope magic to their show. Highly recommended." Meir Yedid, Fair Lawn, NJ

"To be honest I do not like most routines with ropes. I think they are boring and I hear the people in the audience, sitting near me, whispering the same thing. Your routine is one of the few exceptions. It is very entertaining. There are several knots that I never tried or used or even wanted to try until I saw your routine so now I will have some fun working on them. You have the magic touch and the personality to go with your skill." Steve Dusheck, Hazleton, PA

"What Counts, Cuts, and Subtleties is to Card magic.... The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine... Plus! is to Rope magic. A must have DVD!!! Dennis takes you step by step through clear explanations of magic’s mysterious rope knots. You can finally understand and learn them. Anyone putting a rope act together needs this DVD. Dennis is a great teacher and you feel he is there personally with you.
Tony Blanco, Las Vegas, NV

“At first I thought this was just an ‘OK’ routine. Then I tried some of the knots on a lay audience and ‘WOW!’ What a reaction. Now I realize how good this material is, and what a nice guy Dennis Loomis is. I would like to meet him and shake his hand.” Darren Kidby, UK

"The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine is the perfect interlude, the five to eight minutes of time when you're forced to stretch, fill a spot, cover for something (or someone) else. It's light, diverting, and entertaining. And packs well with no preparation." Tony Chadhuri, Naples FL

"I wish I had all of this information when I was a youngster! The explanations are very clear and easy to understand. I recommend it highly." Frank Baxter, Retired Professional Magician, Pollock Pines, CA

"This is a wonderful teaching tool. Everything is so clear with the views shot from behind. Thank you so much for making this resource available!" Serena Lumiere, Hemet, CA

"I have to admit I was somewhat doubtful that a routine of just knots would be that entertaining. I was very surprised and entertained, however, while watching it! You are doing progressively more difficult bits, culminating with the (seemingly) impossible one-handed knot tie. I liked it a lot and can see adding some of the "bits" into my rope routine. Also, I thought it was filmed and presented very professionally and your explanations were very clear. Good work, Dennis." Doug Brewer, San Diego CA

"Your Knot DVD is seriously better than most productions on the market." Bill Nagler, Livonia MI

"The DVD is really good. It is one of the best teaching videos that I have seen. I could follow the directions, and the demos were outstanding." Sterling Dare, Vero Beach, FL

"I bought this DVD and found it a wealth of information on rope knots used in magic and skill demonstrations. Thank you Dennis for a major resource contribution for magicians looking to add rope and knot effects to their routines." Rene Clement, New York, NY

“This is by far one of the finest rope routines on the market. Dennis is an excellent performer. The scripting and timing are well thought out. You cannot go wrong with this.”
Oliver Greenwood, Concord, CA
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Any youtube performances of you around?
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I would add Bachelor's Needle. You can find it in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians as well as many other places.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I would suggest looking at Richard Sander's Fiber Optics Extended and David Williamson Ring and Rope routine...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I also suggest The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine, (not just because I'm on it). I use them myself.

There are some great interactive effects on the disk and the material really engages the audience.

Most of these will work up-close for walk-around and don't have to be done all at once.

- Mary Mowder
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
The Loomis DVD looks interesting. As pointed out earlier, a pity he won't post them overseas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ideas for walkaround rope routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL