The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How early to mail for recurring bookings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I was wondering how soon in advance of last year's event do people recommend mailing a reminder about this year's event? Also, would it be different for differnt markets? Like x weeks/months before for birthdays and x weeks/months before for corporate events? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Since you are referring to recurring bookings (ones you have performed for/at before), for those I pick-up the phone and speak to the client. Personally I would not "do" birthdays, as I do not know how "recurring" the booking could/would be (once? twice?).

Since going full-time in 2004 I have several schools that have used me for the past 5 years, for some this year being their 6th year, and they are already booked, confirmed and invoiced.

For current months I go through my booking file for the past 3 years and call all that months' (and the next) clients, it's another personal way of staying in touch, and building the business bigger and bigger each year. December, though, because of volume, I just do the mailing 2-3 months out. Although in family market for December, including company family parties, I follow-up after the event and ask if they would like to book it in right then. IF I still have open dates for December by Nov. 1, I will do as I mentioned above, and phone. Even if you called ALL your clients the list (again ones you have worked for) it would not be that big, and they are easy calls to make, it is not as if they are a cold call. If they are unable to commit too early in the year, ASK THEM for a good time to call back. Keep the communication lines open!

On the corporate side, I would like to think you are doing "through the year" follow-up ie. mailings and personal calls, again this is for recurring booking clients. For a specific event a call a couple of months out should do it, and if they are not ready to book (don't know the date, budget etc.) ask them when a good time would be to call back, AND THEN CALL THEM for heaven's sake!!!!!

I know you asked about mailings, but you will be far more successful with a call, and during that call you can also do a little digging for referrals inquiring about other companies, departments, events etc.

I would save the mailings in large part for prospecting for new clients.

Blair
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have heard 6 weeks (1.5 months) for birthdays, and 3 months for other shows.

However, each customer has their own personality.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Most companies have habitual routines for planning events, so a good guide that I use is to call about a month before the month that they originally inquired.

For example, if they called in October to book for December, I'd call in September the following year.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
First mailing RIGHT AWAY! I include it with the thank you note - you do sentd thank yous - I hope!
kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
An idea I got from Eddy Wade...

Send out a Mini-Calendar at the beginning of the year, as a gift. Add a note telling them that now is the best time to schedule our event for this year before the date is filled. They appreciate the calendar, and most will call and schedule their date with you then.

Alan
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Honestly there is no one size fits all approach - you will often find that specially when it comes to corporate gigs many times the person changes on a yearly basis, but also b/c they "already had a magician last year" the want something different (no matter HOW good you are), one of the reasons I started an entertainment agency (it really IS all about relationships - besides good product, of course). Mailings, phone calls all of the above what it all boils down to is WORK. That nasty four letter word that just won't go away...lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How early to mail for recurring bookings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL