The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Guastaferro vs. Armstrong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
So I am going to be picking up some new DVD's, and I was wondering what peoples thoughts on the 4 John Guastaferro (Brainstorm/Second Storm) DVD's vs. John Armstrong's 3 Disk (Card Magic) set?

I have read a great deal about Guastaferro lately, with his book release, but I have also wanted to get Armstrong's sets. Any thoughts would be great.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Guastaferro all day long!!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Where do you mostly perform? I don't have any Armstrong, but I prefer the Brainstorm DVDs for strolling material, but Second Storm has 'Famous Aces' and 'Vino Aces' for parlour.

Have you checked out JG's site? The lecture notes are really good...

Charlie
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Well, I ordered The Storms. I am really looking for strolling material, and it seems like that is what much of the material is. I will most likely get Armstrong's DVDs next. I have seen the Brainstorm set YEARS ago, but don't remember much. I really like Armstrong's column in Reel Magic, so I will just have to wait a little bit.

I really enjoy books, but DVD/Video is much easier for me often, because of the traveling I do.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
ALL I CAN SAY IS "Lost and Found" and "Detour" are worth the set alone.... So yeah, Guastaferro.... Also he just came out with a book.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
526 Posts

Profile of martysh
Armstrong has something very special in his set.. it is a blank card 3 card monte. that last year once I learned it the next week he was on tv doing it . It is probably the best thing I have added in years..he also has a couple of easy but very unique things with a frixion pen.. one prediction is terrific.

I ordered J G's book Friday and am sure it is going to be great but Jon Armstrong's dvd's are cherished..

oh there is that oil and water thing and the thing he does with the gal's phone number.. and and and

Marty
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Brainstorm dvds are some of the best out there. Hocus was selling both Second Storm dvds for $20 total. Sale may still be going on.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Eric, you kill me. That is a great deal, and only about 24 hours too late. Oh well, lol.

Scott
www.JustGreatMagic.com
immr1drfl
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of immr1drfl
I have both and like both but Jon's is straight out of his Castle routine that I have seen him perform throughout the years and have seen the reactions that he gets good stuff. Martysh mentioned the phone organizer trick and that is his closer at the Castle a great trick.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Both persons approach to magic it quite different. John G's material is more on the road of variations of allready existing card plots where Jon Armstrong tryes to do effects that are totally different from main stream. Armstrong himself says on the set that he performs so much in the Castle and for other magicians that he doesn't want to perform ambitious card or anything too similar to other magicians. This makes the sets hard to compare and I woudnt even want to do so...

I personally prefer maybe John G's (cant spell his last name Smile ) brainstorm set. Its one of the best dvd's sets ever made by L&L. I didn't care much from his second storm set. Armstrong has his moments as well so it is evry though choise in the end but I would go with Brainstorm set > Armstrong set > Second Storm set.

J-M
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Well I got the sets and watched the performances on Second Storm, since I had seen Brainstorm a while back. There was one routine on the 1st disk I really liked, the one with the dice (can't remember the name.) I just gave everything a casual look, so I will have to dive into them more this weekend. One thing that is slightly bothersome is all of the extra gaffs (like the blank dice.) Interestingly I actually have those dice, I picked them up years ago thinking...One day I may need something like this.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
John G for SURE! His DVD's and book are incredible.. Highly Recommended.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Personally, I found John's presentations much more entertaining and his DVDs have more variety.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Do you mean John or John?
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
John or Jon! Smile

There's at least a couple of things from both artists that I'd like to add to my repertoire. I'd say Jon Armstrong's difficulty level is just a tad higher than John G's.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
John G, otherwise I would have written Jon.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
John Gustaferro rocks!. His book "One Degree" is one of the best magic books in close-up magic in this decade. The layout writing and material are all fabulous. Check out "Lost and Found", "Vino Aces". No pipedreams here just solid stuff!

hbenod
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
There are no bad choices here. You'll be more than happy with either performer's terrific contributions.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Quote:
On 2010-10-25 00:27, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
There are no bad choices here. You'll be more than happy with either performer's terrific contributions.

Agreed, both DVD sets are awesome.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Guastaferro vs. Armstrong (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL