The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Anyone here ever built a "Girl thru glass"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
I'm building an illusion which utilizes a 4x8 sheet of plexiglass/lexan/"insert type of plastic here". It's different from the girl thru glass, but shares a common problem. It seems to me that, when the glass makes "the move" over and over, through lots of performances, that it would start to show wear at the top edge, spoiling the illusion. Has anyone here come up with a solution to this? I could build the frame so that it's padded, but even that would act as an abrasive over time. And, with lexan, plexi, or any of the known plastics, there are none that are totally scratch/scuff proof. Thanks for all responses!

Phil
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Padding with a non-abrasive material will help. I'd imagine that a periodic polishing would keep everything spiffy! Smile Eliminate small surface scratches before they become deep.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The new non-abrasive cloth may be a solution. They make dust cloths with this material. It is called Micro Fiber. Just a suggestion.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Spacers? - Just a thought!
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
The girl through mirrors that I make is lined with felt. That seems to work. You could always try nylon tape in the side channels. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=......n%20tape
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Perhaps applying spray-on silicone lubricant (sprays on, but dries) where necessary could help?
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
You're thinking about it backwards.
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Earl has it correct.. if you want nothing to scratch.. you have to keep anything from touching it..
Bolt the nylon or guides ONTO the glass.. and keep just a bit of space between the glass and the frame.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Anyone here ever built a "Girl thru glass"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL