The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Searching for Yo Yo effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any unique tricks or effects with a yo yo (and I'm not refering to walk the dog or rock the baby).

Yo yo tricks seem non-existent. The most I ever saw was a stage manipulator do a dove transformation (which was pretty cool). There has to be more than that.

I’ve tried unsuccessfully to come up with gravity defying yo yo that can be used live. We did create a decent one for a film, but the connection was only invisible to the camera and not the human eye. Anybody ever seen anthing like this?

So, if you have any ideas or information on magical effects with a yo yo, I would really appreciate if you’d drop a line.

Thanks in advance!
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
How about a kind of Hindu rope trick with the yo-yo where the strong becomes stiff? Or covering the yo-yo with a cloth and make it float (ala Zombie).

Also, does Greg Frewin not do a Yo-yo to dove in his act?

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
To be honest, I'm not sure who it was that I saw, it was years ago. It could have been one of the later "World's Greatest Magic."

I like the Hindu rope idea. Any ideas on method?
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you see Sean Bogunia (of Dancing Hank fame)at one of the magic conventions, you'll notice that he does a lot of yo-yo work. He does some of the typical stuff, as well as some magical stuff with the yo-yos.
magicboy1234567
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicboy1234567
i dont know any yoyo magic but i know tons of really good(but hard)tricks that i could teach u if u could tell me some magic tricks.
manipulation!!!
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
I think it is Jason Byrne who uses a Yo Yo.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I know Jason uses one, but I can't confirm if Greg uses one.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I have never seen Greg Frewin use one at all.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Check my picture. The pic was taken when I was performing yo-yo tricks at the OK Mozart festival.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe it was both Greg and Jason who developed this kind of dove production while using a Yo Yo. They were a dual act for a while, when they were younger. Later, they split and went in their own directions after winning Abbott's talent contest.

But we are off subject. FingerJack needs your help. I am sorry to say I only know of the Yo Yo escape, a beginner trick from the 1960's. Not a very good example of great Yo Yo magic. Shoe lace penetrated the center of a Yo Yo. It is sitting in my beginner trunk of magic.
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

I performed in Japan back in '92, and there I saw what I would consider a "Devastating Act' that used a yo yo.
Regrettably I don't remember this act's name. Anyway here's what I saw:

This performer, who was Japanese, came on and did some odd magic w/ feathers.

Then he went into a segment w/ a yo yo and did a number of your usual yoyo tricks: Walk the dog, Rock the baby, spins, etc.

Here is where he "FRIED US": He then made the yo yo sleep,then he walked away, w/ the yo yo now spinning ALONE on the stage, YES! by itself!

He did a very brief C&R Rope routine routine. and when the rope was restored he then touched the rope to the STILL spinning yoyo and it reattached itself to the rope & UP IT WENT!!!

I really don't remember what else this guy did (does it matter after that?) but to say that we were "Blown Away" is somewhat of an understatement.

Funny that I have never heard or seen this fellow since then.
It reminds me of the " Juggling PHENOM" Tony Gatto, who made it big at a young age ... at 20 he was playing Vegas for 15 big ones a WK, !!!...

Then he disappeared!! I am told that he lost his heart.. (SAD)
Pressure and the things that go w/ show business can do this to you.

If you were to ask me how this yo yo effect was done, my first thought would be that it has to be a version of Japanese "Top Spinning," ..only vertical.

Hope this helps

Michael Lee
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Make a set of yo-yos like mulitplying billiard balls.

Color changing yo-yos, diminishing, englarging, floating ala floating lightbulb, giant yo-yo zombie, stack of yo-yos ala Blue Phantom... produce ala miser's dream, vanish in a box of some kind, bag of yo-yos put into something change to a dog, cat, tiger...

THINK THINK THINK

DO DO DO
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello all

Pete...Why don't you just design the whole act for them, which is what you basically have!!

Put in the work!! Thought!!! Work!!! Even more thought!!

Then try it out at the Castle...(Kidding) at least try it out for your family & friends, and listen to their feedback ...Then put in even more work, and you might have something unique...Lots of luck.

Life does have its ups and downs.

Michael Lee
glennmagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of glennmagi
Gypsy Yo Yo by David Levitan (DVD + Gimmicks) would fit nicely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Searching for Yo Yo effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL