The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » 21 Century Magic Prop Ugliness (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Ugly magic props in the new century:

Jerry's Nugget Cards- I mean what is that design on the back supposed to be? An oil derrick? A bar stool? The Rider back Bicycles have a classic aesthetic that conveys whimsy and imagination. Jerry's Nugget cards, a badly drawn staircase or something.

Coins-I don't care how much easier these worn out, so-called "soft" silver dollars are to manipulate, they look awful. Downright dirty actually. The first thing I think when I see them brought out is, "Sheesh, didn't you have time to polish your coins before the show?" Do you really think making them look old makes them somehow more presentable? If I were a spectator I would wince if I were asked to hold one.

Little wands- these tiny 8 inch wands that guys bring out are laughable. I know they're easier to fit in your pockets but it looks like you're a little kid when you use one. Use a man-sized wand (unless you're a lady) and don't embarrass yourself.

Cardcase Clips-I could see using these when you're storing your cards at home but to take them along when you perform is weird. And it's just one more thing to have to carry around. I know it keeps the cards nice and flat but what magical purpose does it serve?

My point is that so much of our proppage lately seems to be geared to our own convenience that I think we've missed the point. It's not about our convenience, it's about the image conveyed to the observer.
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
"but what magical purpose does it serve? "

Well, they "magically" make you NOT having to buy a new deck twice a week Smile
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
Hello. They don't make Morgan Dollars anymore, and the things date back to 1878. It is normal for them to be worn...they are old. If you polish them, they appear abnormal and completely fake. They don't look "dirty" unless you are a dirty performer and never clean anything. They appear antique. They are.

Magicians have been using naturally soft, worn, Morgan Dollars since they became "soft" 100+ years ago. It's not a new trend in any way. Magicians since T. Nelson Downs time have preferred soft dollars for quiet work. Coins wear from handling. People don't have to "make silver dollars look old". They age this way. The term "soft coins" actually refers to natural aging from wear...not grinding them on a wheel and treating them with acid.

Your complaining about "ugly magic props in the new century" that have been in use for generations before your father was born.

Performing magic with real, old silver dollars offers some of the best aesthetics available in magic. The wear offers contrast, showing off the images on these pretty, large old American coins. Many people with excellent taste find them extremely beautiful.

Everyone knows "what they like".

Unfortunately, that ability to "know what you like" has nothng whatsoever to do with taste in art.

As far as wands go, that is completely a matter of opinion...there is no "man's wand". There is no established scale of right and wrong. Gandalf the Grey would probably find you concept of a "manly wand" pretty lacking in length and heft.

A magician's wand choice should and will depend on how he works. If he works on the street, moves around and performs on the fly, it's going to be smaller. If he has some massive stage act, with heavy tables and props and large audiences, he will want a larger wand.

And of course, that has nothing to do with the century in which you find yourself either. It's always been thus.

So, before you call a magician's props "dirty" and his wand "laughable", you might want to consider your pedigree- your art education and your credentials for good taste, eh?
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
My issue isn't with the coins being worn it's that they are black from tarnish. It's the same reason you polish the silver before Aunt Gertrude comes over for Christmas dinner. Now, copper coins should tarnish as it makes a nice contrast to the silver but if the silver coins are covered with black tarnish...they're ugly! Old coins don't look fake if they're polished; why else would the coin dealers shine them up before putting up pictures on the auction sites?
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
Well most serious Coin Dealers VERY OFTEN will not polish Coins, before selling them.

Why?

Because:

- Sometimes "Worn" / Soft Versions are more Rare, as many collectors keep their "Shiny", while most "normal" people will throw away their "used" coins, or give them back to the bank when a new currency is introduced
- OFTEN New/Shiny Versions of Coins are VERY easy to fake, While it is difficult to fake used/soft Versions, therefore often dealers as well as collectors will pay you more for the "used" versions

An Example:

The German Coin "5 DM Silberadler 1958 J" (5 Deutsche Mark/ A Silver Coin with an Eagle on it/ The Version manufactured by embossing station J). - While you get "clean" versions of that particular coin for around 500 € on ebay the "dirty" ones normally do not go away for less than 1000 €. I own a 1958 J (as well as all other 5 DM Silberadler). Therefore I am quite sure on that. (On the other hand I would NEVER EVER use the 1958 J for magic tricks. But surely not because it is "dirty". :-] )
DominotheGreat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DominotheGreat
Are there any good coin tricks out there?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » 21 Century Magic Prop Ugliness (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL