The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Being new, young, and female to magic. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyra Engstrom
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
7 Posts

Profile of Kyra Engstrom
Is it harder for females to get big in the magic scene? I don't see very many women but I've always been interested in sideshow. How do I make it in this business without having to become the bearded lady?
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Check out Randi Rain's threads on the Café site. She's been doing carnival, fire-eating, magic for a long time. I'm sure she'd have a lot
to share with you. Best of luck!
wk
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Kyra Engstrom
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
7 Posts

Profile of Kyra Engstrom
THANKS! I sent her a pm, good lookin out friend!
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Glad to help you get started in the right direction-as far as getting your answers to real life performances with sideshows, medicine shows, even RenFair events. It's important for you to decide what kind of character are you going to be when you exhibit your magic. The character will drive the motives, affect the costume, makeup, music, and ultimately the audiences. Don't fall into the "trap" of buying a lot of
cool looking packaged magic, just to fool people. Rather decide to entertain audiences with believable charter and magic that is a direct result of the magician's efforts to tell a story and engage the audience-so
they're taken to another place. Don't hesitate to ask me to share my resources to get you headed in the right direction.
wk
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
It does seem that there are very few "top-name" female magicians. Not sure why that is. Melinda had a hot streak for a while but fizzled rather quickly.

It's a shame really...it's not like women are poor entertainers. Perhaps they are not taken seriously by a largely still sexist population?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Kyra Engstrom
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
7 Posts

Profile of Kyra Engstrom
Hmm that's one way to look at it.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 02:03, Kyra Engstrom wrote:
Is it harder for females to get big in the magic scene? I don't see very many women but I've always been interested in sideshow. How do I make it in this business without having to become the bearded lady?

Do great, entertaining magic.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Kyra,
Although there are fewer female than male magicians, I do not believe that gender is a barrier to this field. It does, however, take a great deal of quality practice to become sufficiently skilled. If you focus on becoming the best at performing one effect, rather than only adequate at a number of effects, that will go a long way to being considered a magician by others.

Quick hints for the journey: read books, join the local magic club, and find a mentor or teacher.

Good luck!

Hudson
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 02:03, Kyra Engstrom wrote:

Actually, women are very welcome to the magic scene and organizations. I have seen in the past, women that compete do very well in magic. Even when they are not up to the standards expected in magic. They win magic contest and get the convention circuit with a mediocre act. One recently, won awards with common magic props like the Rice Bowls,Mutilated Umbrella, and other common tricks. A man would never get an award for such an act. They have to have a great act with new and creative magic.

I find most women give up learning and doing what it takes to be successful. It takes drive and constantly searching for to improve. Women are the most graceful being of this earth, and yet when it comes to magic, they do not know how to be graceful while performing.

The best women in magic were Celeste Evans and Marian Chavez. Part of the problem is there is not the places to perform a formal act to perfect your style.

I have to ask, what do you mean by make it? My make it may be different then your make it. This should be your 1st step, in goal setting, write down your goal in as much detail as you can at the moment.

What kind of magic do you like to perform. You mentioned sideshow, that is kind of a dead career, I don't know of any circuses with the side shows now-a-days.

For the past 40 years or more, professional work has been in Las Vegas, Reno, Atlantic City, South America, Europe, Japan, and China. To shoot for this level of performance. One way, is to have a killer magic act with proper stage movement. Compete in the IBM and SAM contest, then shoot for the FISM World convention competition. Exposure is one of the keys to success.
CardC
View Profile
Regular user
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
158 Posts

Profile of CardC
I agree, I don't think it would be harder to make it big. The best thing you can do is start in your town, make some magician friends there or online to collaborate with, check your performance/technique/patter/etc...

What kind of magic do you do? And by sideshow are you talking about fire dancing, sword swallowing, glass walking etc...?

-keli
be happy
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Do a youtube search for Female Magician and you can find a good deal of inspiration. Vegas has a great deal of female sideshow performers in it.
Official Thread Killer
Morjhana
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Morjhana
Sophie Evans (currently living in Vegas) is a great magician and performs with fire as well. I've always found her to be very helpful when I asking for guidance.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I agree with what Mike Maturen says: "It's a shame really...it's not like women are poor entertainers. Perhaps they are not taken seriously by a largely still sexist population?"

I have made a fine living doing magic full time for most of my adult life. I took care of my daughter, bought a complete big illusion show, put myself through college and my master's program ALL from magic income. With my education, I could easily be a college professor or work in many other professions. However, magic continues to provide an abundant income and I love it!

Full time magicians, both male and female, often do not have free time to attend conventions and be more visible in the magic world. It has been my experience that most male magicians individually are very good to share and encourage female magicians. Most magic organizations are no so encouraging and choose to hire female hula hoop twirlers, acrobats, variety acts, etc., instead of hiring female magicians for their conventions.

This is a real shame, because their selection makes us look like we either are not good performers or there are few of us around. There are plenty of us out here, but this is a male-dominated field and a lot of 'old boys' still run the magic organizations. I just performed my 4000th show, so my audiences clearly love what I am doing, but you will likely never see my show at a convention unless I take up twirling fire batons and drop the magic.

Kyra, the thing to remember is magicians do not write paychecks for magicians, laypeople write the paychecks for magicians. Therefore, as long as you have a high quality show and laypeople love your show, you will be a success.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Being new, young, and female to magic. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL