The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » PDF vs Video Download (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Hey everyone,

I'm about to commence writing another ebook but it has struck me that in this day and age is it pertinent to release a video download instead?
For those that have read my previous works will know that I'm quite a "wordy" writer, The Cradle Control clocked in at about 11,000 words, what do you guys generally prefer?
Would it be worthwhile offering both bearing in mind it'd be considerably more effort to do both.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts,
Chris
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
For my latest ebook the audiobook version is clocking in at way over 2 hours long.

If your books are wordy, and you have a lot of points to make, you'll be making a really really long video and it will take up a huge amount of time.

I'm not stopping you, just saying Smile
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
That's exactly the sort of input I'm looking for really so thanks for that.

I'm not sure if my wordyness is just me rambling or whether I'm actually making valid points - it's difficult for me to say!
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Chris,
Film it anyway.
If you decide to release a PDF, you can always use stills from the video to accompany your words and maybe save you a few words too.
That's just my experience. Your mileage may vary Smile

Reg
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I'm leaning more and more toward ebooks and hard copy books? Why? Because the people that read them are people who really want to to learn. It's easy to watch a video. It's actually also easy to read but a lot of people don't see it that way because they haven't practiced it enough (Paul Richards talked about this recently and I think he's spot on. It's not that most people are "visual learners". It's that most people just haven't taken the time to practice reading magic books).

I also enjoy writing quite a bit. But it's mostly the fact that I want people to learn my material because they want to learn it. Not just because it's there.

Anyway, it's up to you. Ironically, I've found that my PDFs sell better than my video downloads. Weird.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
SandwichMan
View Profile
New user
Myrtle Beach
77 Posts

Profile of SandwichMan
I agree with Mr. Francis. I've been reading a lot of books lately and I have to say, I've learned a lot more from reading than watching videos. Being a wordy writer is a good thing...I assume that you explain the details very thoroughly.

Plus, again, agreeing with Mr. Francis, those who really want to learn will read books and eBooks and not just stick to videos. I find that most video explanations focus too much on the little things and therefore wastes a lot of time. Plus, re-reading a part I don't understand takes a lot less effort than rewinding a part of a tape or disk over and over again.

I think as long as you have pictures to assist your descriptions, you'll be fine.

Of course, these are just my opinions. Hope I helped!
Music is meaningless if it cannot be FELT be cannot it if meaningless is magic.
poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
419 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
I will prefer to buy ebooks. I love to read =)

- Arthur
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I create audiobooks of my stuff as I myself like learning things while I'm on the go ESPECIALLY when I'm in the car and don't want to listen to radio or music.

I think systems such as I teach in my ebooks, as they contain a lot of information, are perfect for this kind of audiobook + ebook approach.

HOWEVER would I want a 'normal' book on mentalism as an audiobook? Not really. It's largely about method. However, listening to performance based books as audio could be beneficial.

Osterlind and others make their videos but include the performance. I'd be happy if they had just the performance with accompanying book.

All in all, it depends on the material.
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Some very interesting points being made - thanks for everyone's input.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
I have pondered this question for more than a decade and tried and studied various alternatives. I think the ideal is a combination of ebook with video clips, where each format is used to its fullest. You shoot videos of those moves or sequences where the video really contributes and you use the written word where it is most effective. I think it makes little sense to watch a monologue on video. It is much better to write this information into an ebook. But a difficult move or the performance of an effect can often be much better demonstrated in a video. But that is, as you already noted, a lot more work. But you have to ask yourself, do you want to produce the best possible product you can or not.

One other benefit of an ebook is searchability. It will be much easier to find your material if it is written in words than recorded as video. So if in doubt or if limited by time or budget I'd go with an ebook.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Writing seems more of an art form then making a video, I think that while reading has its benefits, keeping it in word format could potentially stop it from being seen.

On many occasions I have seen something in a book do ok, then when a video version came out it really took off.
Some things are SO much easier to learn through seeing someone actually perform and also if making a gimmick, it can be really helpful.

I don't think that PDF is a good format for computers, I'm not offering anything better but I feel that it's modeled on a page which people don't print, and the vast majority of screens are not page shaped. An interactive video/text experience could be the way forward, might try making one to see!

At times, making a video can seem like you have gone to more effort, that may be because you have Smile but the script and text shouldn't change so it may not have actually been any more effort.

It all comes down to taste and how comfortable the creator feels about being on screen and showing off their woeful DLs for the scrutiny of the magic world, you can hide and say 'once you have completed the INSERT DIFFICULT MOVE...' but can you prove it, (not you specifically Chris ha) Smile
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
I think I'll probably combine the two - I generally think my ebooks explain things thoroughly with the text and pictures but I will probably include a live performance of each trick so that people can see the subtleties like timing etc - I believe it was you Adam who said it was really useful to see the performance of "Rub-a-band" as it helped you with the effect.

Thanks for the input, hopefully I'll knock it out in a couple of weeks - bit busy at the moment though!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I'd always prefer a book (be it hardbound or electronic resp. printed out) over a video!!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I vote for combining the two, as this gives you the best of both worlds. I have read effects in books, then seen them performed and been disappointed, as one aspect or another didn't match what I had envisioned in my mind. Also, there is not the tendency for adopting someone else's personality when reading a book - you are free of that influence if you are just reading an effect. But it is often difficult to fully grasp the timing and smoothness of a move or routine unless you actually can see it, so combining video clips with written text is ideal. Gary Ouelette is the first person I remember doing this, having a book and a companion video that showed the moves, and I thought it was brilliant at the time. Best of luck -

Bill
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Although my opinion doesn't count too much as my experience in this art - form is not as dense as many of the other commenters, I believe that PDFs or hard copy books are a better form of conveying one's material.

Firstly, it can be translated into other languages, much more easily than a video can. Also, a prominent point is that with books you can go at your own pace, I am not sure about you guys but I have sometimes felt that a move in a explanation video is over in a second, and I can't digest it, and occasionally vice versa. In addition, written material allows the reader to intepret the material in a way no other may have before. They can choose their own patter, and nuances, to suit or create their performing style. As my Biology teacher recently said: 'A teaching enviroment whereby ideas and thoughts can be put forward by the students, is much better than one they write down solid material and facts. This is because the new thoughts and interprations created, can be used in future inventions and discoveries'.

Finally, I think that a book is more exciting to read, scrolling down and letting the penny drop as you discover the secret, when you want to. And when you leaf through books such as Card College, with the brilliant cover, wise words and fantastic feel to it, you know that you are in a more beneficial zone, than maybe what DVDs would have to offer.

Therefore, I think that PDFs and books are more beneficial, as they allow for accidental discoveries, great interprations, and a new generation of different - thinkers.

Just my two cents,

Best wishes,

Kyle MacNeill
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 17:22, Chris Piercy wrote:
I think I'll probably combine the two - I generally think my ebooks explain things thoroughly with the text and pictures but I will probably include a live performance of each trick so that people can see the subtleties like timing etc - I believe it was you Adam who said it was really useful to see the performance of "Rub-a-band" as it helped you with the effect.

Thanks for the input, hopefully I'll knock it out in a couple of weeks - bit busy at the moment though!

yeah it just saves time trying it every different way until it sits right plus you know you are trying the way the creator intended it to be done
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think both a PDF and a video download are helpful and that's why I typically provide both in my download packages. Smile I know most don't do that but I do, and people seem to enjoy having a manuscript to further illustrate the videos snd vice-versa. I'm just sayin'. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » PDF vs Video Download (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL