The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » 12 inch ring recommendations (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
James,

I agree with Ray Pierce. If you want a set of rings to last a lifetime go with the Owen rings. I use the 12 inch ones.

My six ring routine is taught in my new book The Book of Destiny and is also performed and explained on the 2 hour companion DVD that comes with the book. My routine, The Enchanted Rings, is spoken in verse which I've found connects emotionally with my audience.

I would avoid plated rings, and hollow aluminum ones. Solid aluminum are OK. Sound is very important and the hollow stainless rings are the best IMO. Locking keys are cool but unnecessary. I have an excellent one from Owen which goes unused. You don't need it!

Larry
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Okay, I've got a stage show coming up in Oct. and I want to get the 12 inch set for that. My plan as of now is to get a solid stainless steel set and to get a hollow set later in the year.
I was looking at the Klamm 12 inch rings. Good thing about them is he has a l*cking k*y and other singles sold separately. HOWEVER, apparently his 12 inch rings are PLATED. I'm pretty sure I do not want plated rings. My boyhood 8 inch set was chrome plated and they eventually flaked into sharp shards and it was a mess.

Are there any 12 inch sets that are stainless that are unplated and heavy/thick as possible. Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-16 16:51, JamesinLA wrote:
Okay, I've got a stage show coming up in Oct. and I want to get the 12 inch set for that. My plan as of now is to get a solid stainless steel set and to get a hollow set later in the year.
I was looking at the Klamm 12 inch rings. Good thing about them is he has a l*cking k*y and other singles sold separately. HOWEVER, apparently his 12 inch rings are PLATED. I'm pretty sure I do not want plated rings. My boyhood 8 inch set was chrome plated and they eventually flaked into sharp shards and it was a mess.

Are there any 12 inch sets that are stainless that are unplated and heavy/thick as possible. Thanks.

Jim

Jim, yes their are sold rings, Owen Magic makes and sells them. Again, huge price.

What you are describing is a poor chroming job on your previous rings. If rings are plated correctly, this will not happen. Klamm Magic rings are considered the better chromed rings on the market. Why you would compare your previous experience of shoddy work with the Klamm Rings is not a fair comparison.

If all you want is set of rings, then just buy Empire/Loftus or Fun Inc. sets for $40.00.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Bill,
Just assumed the plating could flake eventually regardless.

Are those cheap sets as thick as the Klamm 12 inch you think? The Klamms are supposed to be 1/4 inch thick. I want the 12 inch solid rings to be thick to avoid them looking too delicate.
Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The cheaper sets are not heavy wire, how can they be for $40.

It seems you are looking for a high quality set, for 1970 prices. It ain't going to happen - unless you follow the death notices in the newspapers. Then you are not going to find 12" size available. Back in the day, it was only 8" and 10" rings being made by Rings and Things Company and Suds.
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
I love my 12" brass rings from Jim Riser...

ajp
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Bill,
I was wanted to know if there are Klamm quaility rings at about Klamm prices give or take that are not plated.

Jim
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 13:07, JamesinLA wrote:
Bill,
I was wanted to know if there are Klamm quaility rings at about Klamm prices give or take that are not plated.

Jim

No, Jim there are not. There is only the handful of makers discussed many times on the Café and you know all of them very well. Klamm has held his pricing because he is still selling original stock. As you have read Levent purchased the last of Klamm's 8" for his video, so there will be no more 8" available in good quality from Klamm.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm going to get the Klamm rings. Thanks.

Jim
WalkerMagic
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of WalkerMagic
My Klamm rings are great!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Is Proline good quality?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 22:01, Dynamike wrote:
Is Proline good quality?

Yes, they are but the wrong size for Jim, and very expensive.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I just posted this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=8&0

can anyone comment on the quality of the DiFatta Rings?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
Hello all,

For those who prefer the 12" size, I now offer them. They are the same price as the 13". Both are 3/8" thick and look good from a distance.

Cliff Wiggs
http://www.proline-magic.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have 12" Klamm rings - have used them for quite some time without any problem. A few days ago I dropped a single (in the grass, outdoors) and it popped apart! It looked like the ends were soldered together and then plated over. The GOOD NEWS: I contacted Bob Klamm, he immediately shipped a new ring (on a Saturday no less), and I received it on Monday. NO CHARGE! How's that for service?

jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » 12 inch ring recommendations (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL