The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Review : THE TRILBY CONNEXION WORKSHOP - PARIS (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-05-17 15:50, mindpunisher wrote:
It is also worth noting that entertaining with hypnosis is not like the normal way of entertaining.

Here is where we agree completely. This is why magicians, comedians and disc jockey do not necessarily make good stage hypnotists. I understand this won't be a popular answer being a magic board, but it is the truth. Most of these types of entertainers are not entertainers, they are skilled with specific dependent abilities, and happen to be in the entertainment industry. For example, 99% of most DJs have little or no personalities and are terrible on the mic. They rely almost completely on their music - the songs, these are their tool. If someone took away their music and they were left to entertain with nothing but themselves/their personality, it would very uncomfortable and terrible.

The same for most magicians. They are all about their tricks or effects. They are usually only as good as their tricks and the tricks they string together for their show. Most (not all) are very poor entertainers. Take away their tricks and they'd suffer miserable or die.

Comedians, Karaoke,they're also all the same. Take away their tool, and the entertainment value is pretty poor, as most simply are not entertainers. Yes, comedians are good with their material, and even less are good with improv, but if you asked most comedians to go up and perform for 30 minutes without any of their normal material, it would more than likely be quite poor as well.

A good stage hypnotist, should not have to rely on the hypnosis to be entertaining. Yes, it can be entertaining in and of itself, but to be a true entertainer, you should not need to rely solely on the hypnosis or the volunteers. Too many beginner hypnotists rely too much on the hypnosis to be entertaining, and put little thought or effort into becoming a good performer, a master of stagecraft and audience (and spectator) management and the many other components that go into a truly good stage hypnosis performance.

I had a friend of mine who is a well-known stand-up comedian here in the states come along with me to my show last Friday night and he was blown away with amazement at everything I did and that went into creating my two hour performance. He said most entertainers he's ever met have never worked so hard and managed so many elements simultaneously to comprise a show at that level. Coming from him and his experience, I took that as a great compliment. A good stage hypnotist makes it look much easier than it is.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is why you see so many stand right in front of them doing funny stuff. They think the show is about them. I think this is what puts me off about the street phenomenon. It is about them and not the people. Not always but much of what is posted is look how cool I am.

Funny part is the more credit you give your committee the more credit the audience gives you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Another thing you see with less skilled or less experienced hypnotists they stop the action and move on just before it matures and becomes interesting.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Non scripted shows are really sad to watch. A hypnotist in an opening lecture wandering around for a point like an old man in a nursing home trying to tell a story from 50 years ago is all to common an occurance.

Audiences know the difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On May 17, 2012, Dannydoyle wrote:
You are learning. Good for you. I am still learning after more than20 years. It should never stop.

You are not advanced, but can get there. Keep at it.

Good lord this is old...but...!
And I can't believe I'm going to do this publicly..

sigh.
Here goes..

I agree with Danny.
I expected that if this day ever came, I'd feel dirty lol.
(ALL in good fun Danny, seriously)

252I'llProbablyRegretThislol

:)
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On May 13, 2012, lozax wrote:
THE TRILBY CONNEXION WORKSHOP - PARIS :

(from memory as I barely took notes)
(this is my first workshop review, be indulgent with the lenght and detail)

THE SETTING :

The workshop started Saturday at 9:30 am.

We were all happily surprised the training took place in the upper room of a stunning restaurant booked for the occasion. The place just looked like a Maroccan riad in the center of Paris (although most of us were from Paris or the suburbs none of us knew that place). A table was filled with various drinks (water, fruit juices, coffee, mint tea...), croissants, pains au chocolat and arabic pastries. Quite a nice setting for what promised to be a rich weekend!

We were about twenty people to attend the workshop from various backgrounds. I believe most of them had a magician background. A few had had previous training hypnosis (mostly Ericksonian, one connected to the medical profession, also some other). One or two people had already done some training with the Head Hacking crew. Almost all people were French although we had one guy from Canada, one from Germany and one from the US.

We had half an hour to meet amongst ourselves and also with Anthony, Kev and Marcus.

SATURDAY MORNING : from 10 am to 1pm

During the first morning Anthony started by asking people what they thought hypnosis were. We realised we all had different ideas and conceptions. He then introduced his views on the subject. He told us about some history of hypnosis (main historical figures, some schools, differences...).

Anthony did a demo on a guy who had already been hypnotised before in his life (he already had done a HH workshop). He got hypnotised right away. Anthony made of of his hand stick to his forehead. The suggested that the more the hand was raising the more it made him happy and laughting. Then he did the same with the other hand. The whole thing just looked like antlers horns. The guy was happy looking and smiling. He was suggested that whenever he would be asked "have you seen the movie The Manchurian Candidate?" he would reply "Which one? The black or white version?". It was very interesting as for some of us it was the first time directly witnessing someone being hypnotised.

Anthony taught us about how to Approach people and tell them about hypnosis (Compliment, Introduction, Question : CIQ). How most people are usualy intriged as soo as the word hypnosis comes out, and that weither we accept to be approached or not it is not a failure and there is really no reason to care as people will have forgotten you immediatly and you would not meet them again. We made two lines and practice. It began as a bit unatural (people are usualy not used to give and receive compliments like in this manner).

We went trough the set piece : magnetic fingers, magnetic hands. We were told about the theory, why not to overlook that part, then came time for some practice. We did two lines and repeated the script line after like in a parrot manner with a few people. In a hand the parrot like manner helped us memorised the script and being familiar with it. It also helped that we hypnotees could hear (as at some point we naturally did it each at its own pace and with all the noise some hypnotee had trouble hearing). In the other hand (and that is mainly why some starting saying the script their own pace, the other being that some were familiar with it already) the parrot manner is sometimes not in tune with the timing, the magnetic fingers and magnetic hands working at different speed for each one.

The morning went quite fast and it was already time for lunch.
The lunch not being included in the price and costing about 20E we did not all had lunch together whih could have been enjoyable. Anthony also could realise that one hour may not be enough time to eat for most of the French lads.

The morning was quite fun. Although some of us felt that it was a bit much just like what you could find in the RIP book (that Anthony was kind enough to send us by mail previous to th workshop) and that we would have liked the time to be more practice focused (and in that field more than just the set pieces). I must however state that this might have been caused to langage issues. Some did not speak English so they could not have read the book (also even for those who read the book, it was interesting to hear it live from Anthony) and they needed translation (which is time consumming).

Newbies such as my felt did not feel confident enough to try to go and try the set piece around in the street although the spot chosen was quite good and it is a place with a lot of people just hanging around.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON : from 2pm to 5pm

Markus did a small demo on an other guy who had alreaby been hypnotised before in his life. Just took his hand, snap his fingers and "sleep". He stock the guys foot to the ground. He could not even stand to get 30E. I could however stand when a 100E more were added (too bad for him it was a fake bill). He also was suggested that whenever he would be asked "have you seen the movie The Manchurian Candidate?" he would reply "Which one? The black or white version?". This last suggestion did not work as the guy could "filter it" (in his own words).

Anthony introduced the basic inductions. We had some theorical talk then he showed us and explain the Hand To Eye Induction and the Handshake Induction. Then he showed us how to make a hand raise to the forehead and stickt to it, then to have the second hand stick to the first one. We went in line and practiced (a special note to Kev and his line management skills). We all had various results. We could experience the natural different degree of suggestibility of each of us. Practice took a lot of time which was good.

Having trouble feeling hypnotised and feeling like I hypnotised people I talked to a lot of the others (I d like to mention here that Anthony, Kev and Markus are always open to give any kind of help and answer questions) focusing on the beginners (meaning those with NO prior experience in hypnosis). Most of us felt like we mainly were following the instructions. There was something but... We could not say firmly we were hypnotised or had hypnotised someone. But I felt very relaxing indeed.

Markus tried the Hand To Eye induction and hand stocking to the forehead on me. It did not work. Anthony told me that he had to wait years before he experienced being hypnotised and that it does not come in the way of being a good hypnotist. Even though I felt a bit frustrated as I really wantd to experience the thing.

Anthony told us about health and safety. Most of it was common sense. There were some very interesting explanations and case studies coming from the years long experience of Anthony and other hypnotists he knows. It was very interesting and a must know for people wanting to engage into hypnotherapy or stage hypnosis.

SATURDAY AFTER TRAINING : from 5om to 8pm

The crew invited us to meet them in a pub at 8pm. For those of us who wanted to join them there were time left to practice in the street.

All of those who stayed exept me had prior experience of hypnosis. They all went ahead and went on with the approach, the set piece and sometime some hand to forehead. Some people wnated to experience hypnosis, some did not. The set piece was always a very good way to select the best subject in the group. The hand to forehead worked with various results.

Even though having had a (very) little background in juggling (most of it being stage not street), I did not have the guts to go ahead and try. I really felt that not having experience hypnosis and not having hypnotise anyone I lacked of confidence (witch is just of course an inner barrier). I really felt I needed some success in the studio before going in the street. My discussions and the fact that all the others with NO prior experience did not go in the street make me believe they shared my feelings.

THE PUB : from 8pm to 1am

As we were allowed to do some hypnosis from 11pm people arrived at different time. Being there from the beginning was a nice opportunity to discuss with Anthony, Kev and Markus. I had a lot of questions (mostly on how to exprience hypnosis - I am trying to aboid the distinction good and bad subject). Markus tried again stocking my feet to the ground or my hand to the table with the classic method and Automatic Imagination... With no success. *** did I wanted to experience it!

A lot of the attendees being magicians we could see some nice triks (Anthony has an awesome card trick guys!). Then came the time for hypnosis.

Slowly but surely some of us started going on to tables and propose to people to experience hypnosis. A lot had fairly good results I must say! Hands were stock to foreheads, names were being forgotten and so on.

Again I must say that from what I saw none of the people with NO prior exprience in hypnosis did approach tables (even though one guy who attended and other workshop said that he did after his first workshop - he is a street magician so with experience in Approach, magic related).

SUNDAY MORNING : from 10am to 1pm
(writter getting tired)

The morning started with Kev explaining the Automatic Imagination model. Hypnosis without inductions, eye closing or trance. It was VERY interesting to say the least!

Anthony and Markus explained and showed how to take what we saw a bit further with amnesia and invisibility. It was very interesting even if Markus invisibility did not work. Anthony made a guy see a dog. The dog moved, liked the guys pocked and fear was induced. Very impressive! Focus was made on how the guy was feeling, the quality of his vision.

We had some little time to practice. I had felt two layers. If I focus my arm is stock, it is stock. If I try to move it I switch to the other layer and I wan move it. Markus took some special time to help me experience hypnosis. Repeating phrase and trying to find ways ("imagine you cannot imagine to move it, imagine that second layer is not there..."). And... I worked! Finaly! It could let go and slip into it! I forgot the second layer and feel my arm just being unable to move! I was thrilled!

Time flyed and it was already time for lunch.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON : from 2.30pm to 5pm

We reviewed what we had seen and had some more time to practice. I could finaly hypnotise people and being sure and confident it happened. One guy just felt and leaned on me. I had his hand stock to his forehead and the second hand stock to the first one. I tried to make him forget his name. Something was there but he could still say it. I managed to hd the same effect with a second person. He then tried to hypnotise me. Calling back to the sensation his had with Markus I just tried to cent back there and to go with it. My finger were clenched, my arms and foot stcok. Now I know how to go from that point when someone tried to hypnotise me or when I do self hypnosis. Still, it is a very active process for me. If I was challenged (for exemple the classic "if you can reach that money it is yours" I ould go for it - Anthony I dare you to put 2000E on the floor with me!).

Anthony introduced us to the process of self hypnosis. How to anchor someone to his special place where he can go back for self development and relaxation purpose.

Anthony demonstrated how to deepen the hypnosis with various effects.

FINAL WORDS :

I had read RIP book almost two years ago. I tried once or twice with my girlfriend at the time and a friend (knowing it was not the best choice) with no results undermining my confidence. I had what I came for. I have been hypnotised and I hypnotised. Maybe some can go with just the books and DVDs. I feel like I needed this workshop to make a first step in the world of hypnosis. I still do not have enough confidence yet to go traight in the street. However as soon as I came back I went to my neighbour and proposed to show him. I firmly believe that after a few more practice on my firends and their friends and a more confortable environement I can take it anywhere (whih is not compulsary I believe, depends what you want to do with that, for exemple I believe Kev does not do much street and bar hypnosis)!

You could notice I mainly speak about Anthony. Even if I believe teh whole workshop could have been done with only him, it was very handy to have Kev and Markus there to go around during practice sessions and to answer question. A special thank here to Markus who used all the tricks in the book and maybe more to help me experience hypnosis. That changed everything for me.

To give those of you who still wonder whether to go or not...
I can not stress enough how I valued this training. To be quite bold. I live with very low income. I live in a big city with about 600E a month with is close to the price of that training. This was a huge cost for me and it will have consequences financialy for the next months. However I do not regret at all spending my savings on this. So my advice is just GO!

(Thanks a lot for anyone who took the time to read this looong post).

Adrien

And old or not, THIS is a fantastic breakdown.
Thanks.

-Theodore Annemann
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, 252life wrote:
Quote:
On May 17, 2012, Dannydoyle wrote:
You are learning. Good for you. I am still learning after more than20 years. It should never stop.

You are not advanced, but can get there. Keep at it.

Good lord this is old...but...!
And I can't believe I'm going to do this publicly..

sigh.
Here goes..

I agree with Danny.
I expected that if this day ever came, I'd feel dirty lol.
(ALL in good fun Danny, seriously)

252I'llProbablyRegretThislol

Does this mean you are not going to beat me up at Mindvention?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Lmao, you do like stirring it up don't ya?
I don't believe I said that, and you know it.
God knows I thought about it though Smile

But, in my defense, I doubt that's an uncommon reaction to your posts lol.

I'd suggest putting my theory up for a vote, but fear we'd both be voted off the island.

252CafeIsland

-Theodore Annemann
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Personally I can't imagine getting that wound up by some stranger on the Internet.

Being 100% serious I am the same in person as on here. Maybe even less restricted if anything. I don't have 2 personalities. Being 6'4" and 275 helps I guess.

But while I say exactly the same things the thing removed from the sentence is tone and intent here. It matters. It matters a LOT. NOT only tone but you get intent from speaking with someone live. It is quite clear from both of these missing elements exactly how to take something I say as opposed to seeing them written.

I am not being flippant or obnoxious so please do not take it that way. I am actually being serious, as contrary to my nature as that is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Hey Danny, we're actually more of the same mindset then I would have thought initially.

And, since it seems for the moment we're the only ones left on this thread, or that cares, lets use it.
About Mindvention.
The jury's still out, but I'm hoping to go.
Never been so I'm curious.
I'm hoping it's worth the trip/time etc.
Bottom line, I'm wondering if I'll leave feeling I justified the expense.
Or if I'll spend the next year cursing myself, like after a bad Penguin lecture.

And Danny, lets put this other stuff to rest, trust me it'll go nowhere positive.
Plus, it's becoming an embarrassing semi public spectical lol.

You know..we could split a room in Vegas.
Start up some rumors grrrrrrrrrrrrr Smile

252DoubleD

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
"But while I say exactly the same things the thing removed from the sentence is tone and intent here. It matters. It matters a LOT. NOT only tone but you get intent from speaking with someone live. It is quite clear from both of these missing elements exactly how to take something I say as opposed to seeing them written. "

I just re read that, and couldn't agree more.
It's exactly why I hate texting anything but short messages in my real life.
To much room for misinterpetation as to actual intent behind the statement.
Not always obviously, somethings are easily translated, but not all.
I ran a public website with forums like this for years, I should know by now to approach with a thick skin.
Have to say though, that's on me.
I come on here to feed my addiction, not have real life disputes.
If I want that I can walk down the street and get my fill.

Ok! Time for coffee!
Recovering from watching the debate...Lordy.

252VOTE

-Theodore Annemann
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not a spectacle at all. You steped back and listened and connected. What is bad about that?

I think too often emotion gets the better off people and then who doesn't allow for listening. Not you. That is cool.

As fur Mindvention I love in Las Vegas. But I have never gone, and probably never will. Never been to any convention really. I am almost always working somewhere far away from them.

Actually that is not true. Last year I went to mindvention to see Bob Cassidy. Never got further than Jack's. We just hung out. Bob is a friend.

Just not a convention guy. But if you get into town then or ever drop a note. If I an home dinner is cool. This year I probably will be in the Dominican Republic getting shows set.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Gonna shoot you my email address, I think we got off on the wrong foot.
I'm in Southern California, and would love to meet up with "serious" (whatever that is) students of mentalism and hypnosis.
I just don't have the desire to do traditional magic for a long time now.
I wouldn't mind finding a few people of like mind to practice/session with.
Even if it's only on Skype.
That's probably less than practicle, but now that I've self isolated in the *** mountains, it's the most efficient way to go.
(Takes an hour and a half to drive into San Diego. Unless it's for a gig/etc., it's a pain to do regularly.)
There's a cool little magic shop in Seaport Village though.
If you're ever over this way, I'll buy you lunch.

My appologies for the rough start.
I take responsibility for my knee jerk response, glad it's resolved.

252PMya

-Theodore Annemann
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It usually does even out. Sorry if my style of communication is tough to read.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Review : THE TRILBY CONNEXION WORKSHOP - PARIS (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL