The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Traveling with doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tamaka
View Profile
New user
California
17 Posts

Profile of tamaka
I wanted to see how some dove workers get their birds onto planes since 9/11. I used to be able to have them go with me on carry on, not any more. Only small birds are brought on as carry ons. Shamada and Lance Burton told me they use to carry them in there coats then transfer them into their cantainers. You can't do that now since they xray all coats. It will be costing me $500.00 to take my birds from S.F. to N.Y.
What have some of you done to get the cost down and have the birds fly with you?
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Aren't doves classed as small birds?

Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I haven't travelled with my birds in a long time but I remember Ice McDonald saying that right after 9/11, his birds were held by the airlines and he had to borrow some local ones for his act. I'm assuming some of the restriction has been lifted by now.
Just an idea, but I ship doves all the time and use the post office. They guarantee overnight delivery, the birds are well taken care of and I've never had a problem. Maybe you could send your birds to someone in NY. The cost is only about $25 for a box of 4 birds. Like I said, just an idea.
Where the magic begins
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Dave, don't know if I would trust the Post Office. Express mailed birds to Harry Murphy yesterday. He still has not received them. Huge journey from VA to MD. He took the day off to be there when they arrived. Went on line to track the package, and it only shows the acceptance here in Virginia.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kingry, very unusual situation. I do know that there is a time cutoff and you must have the birds at the post office by that time or they don't travel. I always check that first and make sure I'm there in plenty of time. I also check to be sure the post office delivers overnight to the particular address. I did have a problem once when the tracking number was duplicated from another state. The birds travelled half way across the US before they were found. I was on the phone with the post office every hour and they went out of the their way to remedy the situation. The delivery was a day late but the birds were fine. I also make sure there is food and water in the box for them. I've made well over 100 shipments and only had the one problem.
Where the magic begins
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I had them at the Main Post Office at 8 AM and was told they would be leaving for the airport at 9. They have food and water. I will call tomorrow AM to check their status.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kingry, I'd really be interested in hearing what happened. Like I said, I ship doves frequently and would like to know if something has changed with the the postal service.
Where the magic begins
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Tracking shows them arriving in Cumberland this morning. I was expecting next day with such a short trip. Harry should have them today.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Glad to hear that. Even though they aren't mine, I hate to think of the little guys cooped up in a box for very long.
I know Express mail can be either 1 or 2 day service. I always make sure when I ship that I specify next day delivery. That way they can tell me approximately what time they will be delivered. Sounds like they automatically defaulted to the second day service.
Where the magic begins
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Birds finally arrived (a day later than expected or paid for)! The birds are OK! They are now getting acclimated to their new home.

The Post Office could offer no explanation as to why it took so long and made profuse apologies.

Needless to say that I am greatly relieved that they made it ok.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
tamaka
View Profile
New user
California
17 Posts

Profile of tamaka
I don't have anyone to recieve them in N.Y. They are not classified as a small bird. We found only cockateals and bungies are.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Traveling with doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL